What products do you wish companies made for hunting?

Dehydrated small batch bourbon so all I have to do is add water. Tired of carrying all that weight. Maybe a good dehydrated IPA for breakfast too.
Have you tried Pats backcountry beers IPA? They sell these small packets of ~40% ABV that you mix with water and carbonate using their special bottle. It takes a little practice getting the carbonation just right, but still taste quite good when in the mountains.

There is several guys who are making Bobcat cages for trappers. Just need to get on trapping sites and find the ads and knowledge. Heck we made a hundred of them cages one summer. They are just hard to ship and costly.

this year I was wondering why a brand like Exo doesnt make a bino harness already attached to the backpack. Just make it one system instead of doubling up and having backpack straps sit on top of the bino harness straps.
I agree with this. I ended up buying AGC’s small camel back style pack that requires you to use the bino harness to secure it. It’s not the system to go on overnight hunts with but I like that it doesn’t require multiple layers of straps cross-crossing my body. I wish that EXO made a bino harness attachment to do something g similar.

I also would like to see a trekking pole with a bolt in attachment to mount my binos. I don’t always want to take a tripod for glassing but need more stability than hand holding.

I also would like to see a trekking pole with a bolt in attachment to mount my binos. I don’t always want to take a tripod for glassing but need more stability than hand holding.

Have you seen the sparrow adapter? It is made to work with trekking pole pointed end and this works very well. See my recent posts at the end of the thread demonstrating this.

this year I was wondering why a brand like Exo doesnt make a bino harness already attached to the backpack. Just make it one system instead of doubling up and having backpack straps sit on top of the bino harness straps.
Marsupial has a kit to attach their bino packs to backpacks. In theory I loved it, but when using found it annoying.

Boots actually designed for western hunting, it would still need to be a few different models to cover everything. Right now we’re adapting mountaineering and backpacking boots for hunting and manufactures are making incremental changes for us but I don’t know of anyone designing a boot from the ground up for western hunting

What are the demands of western hunting that make it unique from backpacking and mountaineering when it comes to footwear?

What qualities would make an exclusive, dedicated “hunting” boot?

We’re pretty much the only outdoor user group that still uses heavy duty boots.

What are the demands of western hunting that make it unique from backpacking and mountaineering when it comes to footwear?

Backpackers, foresters and woodland firefighters still use heavy duty boots.

Obiously it depends on the individual groups.

Without getting too down in the weeds. Mapped rugged protection that would allow for more flexibility because you can use softer material in between the rugged sections. Good deep lugs without the climbing section and little ridges on those lugs. A rubber compound that balances cold sloppy conditions with reasonable durability. More utilization of injection molding but with more flexibility than what we’re used to. Real anatomical shaped lasts, WIDE WITHS!!!!!!!!!!!! More options bigger than a size 11. Everything exists just not widely available in one package, we’re compromising too much.

Without getting too down in the weeds. Mapped rugged protection that would allow for more flexibility because you can use softer material in between the rugged sections. Good deep lugs without the climbing section and little ridges on those lugs. A rubber compound that balances cold sloppy conditions with reasonable durability. More utilization of injection molding but with more flexibility than what we’re used to. Real anatomical shaped lasts, WIDE WITHS!!!!!!!!!!!! More options bigger than a size 11. Everything exists just not widely available in one package, we’re compromising too much.

As a user group, Do hunters have wider than average feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backpackers, foresters and woodland firefighters still use heavy duty boots.

Obiously it depends on the individual groups.

Backpackers have almost all gone to wearing shoes. It’s a rare exception to see a backpacker in boots these days.

Wildland Firefighters do for sure as they are required to, but that’s an occupational requirement.

Backpackers have almost all gone to wearing shoes. It’s a rare exception to see a backpacker in boots these days.

Wildland Firefighters do for sure as they are required to, but that’s an occupational requirement.

As a big guy. 6'7" 265 lbs.
most of all toeboxes are too small in "normal" width shoes.
if a 13 or 14 option even exists in those shoes.

Last edited:

I have no doubt that a guy of your stature has trouble fitting most any mass produced apparel on your body. Given your height, You also represent less than 2% of the population. If you consider that the average American male is 5’10 with a size 10.5 shoe, you’re definitely an outlier relying on the specialty size category when it comes to certain types of gear.

Boots actually designed for western hunting, it would still need to be a few different models to cover everything. Right now we’re adapting mountaineering and backpacking boots for hunting and manufactures are making incremental changes for us but I don’t know of anyone designing a boot from the ground up for western hunting

What makes a boot hunting specific? There are a huge variety of shapes/sizes/styles/height/sole stiffness/material etc.. Do they need to be camo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no doubt that a guy of your stature has trouble fitting most any mass produced apparel on your body. Given your height, You also represent less than 2% of the population. If you consider that the average American male is 5’10 with a size 10.5 shoe, you’re definitely an outlier relying on the specialty size category when it comes to certain types of gear.

I know I'm the anomaly.

However I think more the point is bigger or smaller than normal isnt bigger all around or smaller all around in footware its usually shorter or longer.
Same with shirts. Drives me crazy when a XL and 3XL have the same torso length. I need the torso length not the girth.

And LIGHT. Every pound of boot weight equates to the energy expenditure of 7 pounds of weight on a backpack. I love my Kenetreks for wet, deep snow and mud, but I went over to Salomon Quest 4s for everything else. I've experiemented, and the difference at the end of the hunt is massive. I almost feel twice as tired after a hunt for chukar or other upland birds wearing the Kenetreks as I do over the Salomons.

if a 13 or 14 option even exists in those shoes.

You might take a look at White's Boots - they have a pretty large selection of "lasts" they build boots around, including ones with large toe-boxes. Not cheap, but in the long run it's been my experience with things like this that you actually end up spending less in the end, in not having to replace the gear as often. Especially cheaper quality that doesn't fit right. White's are about as long-lasting as it gets. Them, and Nick's.

Back