What items do you carry multiples of while in the backcountry?

Gray_Law

FNG
I always carry multiple ways to make fire. I carry at least FOUR Bic lighters, a firestarter, and a MilSpec water proof container of kitchen matches. I also carry two knives. One an old Schrade 3 blade Cattleman's pocket knife which is 99% of what I ever need in a knife, and a fixed blade Buck 120 that I've had since I was 14. Two spare magazines for my Glock 20 (10mm). Depending upon what I am doing, where I am doing it, and what rifle I am carrying (assuming I am carrying a rifle), at least two reloads for it. Three white lights, one on my pistol, one high lumen Streamlight, and a head lamp. Small package of 8 fire starter cubes. Two spare boot laces made from 550 cord. Two stainless water bottles that can be safely boiled. Two pairs of wool socks, even in summer.

The reality of it is...after two replaced knees...I don't hike miles and miles anymore. I am either in my Jeep, where I carry a box full of "possibles" and self rescue supplies, or I am on my horse and have all the stuff I am going to need in the saddlebags.

I like lightweight, quality gear that will last. I don't mind spending good money once rather than cheap money a bunch of times, and I don't just buy the new "gee whizz" thing on the market. The thing I carry most of is common sense.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use one headlamp and a spare battery but now carry that spare battery in another headlamp because of the following experience: I was blood trailing into the wee hours once w a zebralight cranking when my first battery faded out. Dropped and could not find the cap to the headlamp after putting in the new battery leaving me a long way from camp in the dark. Obvious ways to prevent this problem but worth avoiding if possible.

ElkNut1

WKR
2 sources for a fire, 2 knives & 4 game bags, that's it. I like my pack to be under 20# for all day hunts. This does not include bow weight.

ElkNut

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to use one headlamp and a spare battery but now carry that spare battery in another headlamp because of the following experience: I was blood trailing into the wee hours once w a zebralight cranking when my first battery faded out. Dropped and could not find the cap to the headlamp after putting in the new battery leaving me a long way from camp in the dark. Obvious ways to prevent this problem but worth avoiding if possible.

I've had similar events, I now wear a small lanyard w/ a whistle and photon light around my neck. Weighs all of an ounce (whistle and light). It's not a light to see me down the trail, but enough light for swapping batteries, getting a drink at night, etc.

two releases
two wind checkers
minimum two elk diaphragms
minimum two means to start fire
minimum two knives
minimum two sources for water
minimum two head lamps, & one set back up batteries
extra eye contacts/ back up glasses in a hard case

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Headlamp
More than one method to start a fire
Socks (dry socks can be a huge boost in morale in the backcountry)

99 cent rain ponchos in yellow, ibuprophen, stop the bleed packing.....ponchos are good for tarps, bags, being seen by helicopter for rescue, ground cloth for meat processing or sleeping...seen too many guys cut to not carry coagulant packing and pain meds

I always carry two flashlights and an extra set of batteries. Never needed the extras.
I always carry extra socks. I always need the extras.
I usually carry an extra set of clothing. Never use the extras.
I always carry rain gear. But not an extra.
I carry a lighter and a flint lock. I’ve yet to find myself in a situation where I needed both.
I only carry one compass. That’s never bitten me in the ass.
I only carry one map. That hasn’t bitten me, either.
I don’t use GPS. Never bitten me. But I should try it.
Best outdoors men and women I have ever known rarely carried two of anything. The reason: they never allowed any single piece of equipment to be a 100% failure point in the event the equipment was lost/non-functional. You have to be willing to do other things (dig a fix hole, navigate by stars, land points, etc.).
I made a goal about 15 years ago to get rid of one piece of equipment, at least, after each backcountry outing. It’s a good mental process. I got rid of a lot. But it took time. Still, one of the best goals I ever made.

TaperPin

WKR
In a deep dark timber covered steep east facing draw/dry creek a couple miles from camp I’ve had a partner’s only headlamp die, then my headlamp petered out - and my backup had weak batteries and wasn’t going to make it. Without a light you couldn’t see a hand in front of your face. . .

After a moment to plan for how to get down the boulder field of a dry creek bottom - we figured the light would make it if we briefly turned it on for a second, then off for two or three. We made it, but that was the last time setting foot off trail without fresh batteries in two light sources and an extra set just for kicks.

I’ve only had one situation requiring stopping to build a warming fire to prevent certain hypothermia - I was quite happy to not only have two sets of kitchen matches, but a lighter, and wax fire starter.

Headlamp
Mini bic lighter
Water filter
Socks
Firestarter
Release or Loaded mags
- all x 2

Last edited:
Dry Socks
Applicable batteries / chargers
Lighters
Contacts / glasses if needed
Anything that you'd be completely SOL without. Think hard about what ounces matter and where the extra security goes a long way. Can you get back to your truck or camp easily? Or are you a long long way from resupply? All that factors into your final pack list.

Multiple fire making
2 sources of light, headlamp/ flashlight
2 different water filter systems
2 navigation sources map and compass, gps
2 rain gear, jacket / pants, lightweight poncho
2 knives, disposable and fixed blade

Probably more, ounce counters heads are probably exploding reading this

Beendare

WKR
I’ve always felt the saying, “one is none and two is one.”

But when it comes to backcountry hunting, where weight is a premium you can get way too heavy quickly by packing your fears so to speak.

That said what items do you still carry multiples of in case of failure or misplacement?

For me the list is pretty short.
On those backpack hunts, I have an extra finger tab….lighter, socks and underwear and a few of those tiny lens cleaner packs.
Thats it.

My zebra 18650 headlamp is bulletproof. …if not there is a light on my phone.

My processing knife is S90v…I’ve done a couple elk without touch up.

I don’t cart around a whole bunch of stuff.

Those carrying multiple lights/ batteries, has anyone made the switch to lithium and if so how long will those last in normal backcountry hunting situations?