What hunting rig are you running/how do you use it

Recently got a '19 frontier pro-4x king-cab. Replaced my '06 forester, in which I am proud to say I won the "largest deer of the day" unofficial competition at a game check in SW MT last year. Looking forward to the ability to sleep in the back, and not get the inside of my car all bloody.

ianpadron

WKR
I've got a 98 T4R, 309k miles on it...no sign of slowing down.

Bro in law has been jealous for years and he finally picked up a 95 this year to try and up his cool factor.

Only Toyota owners would believe the situations and places that lil truck has gotten me into and out of.

I really don't get sentimental about "things" but the 4Runner and I are definitely inseparable at this point, too many epic memories to count.

I'll post some more pics later if guys want to see, seems like a lot of Yota fans in the thread (the Tikka of the truck world, so makes sense)20240527_152802.jpg20240721_192005.jpg

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I run an 86 Toyota pickup, has 35’s but bought a new set of 31s for this fall and winter. Great little truck that goes places. Strictly my mountain rig. Only downside is seating with my family
Nice, I’m definitely a fan of Toyota. Without lower gears in the differentials 31 will probably do better. Is it the 22r 4 cylinder?

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Currently working out last few details on a salvage title 2016 tundra I've been putting together for hunting and some family camping trips. Started out as a bone stock limited with front end damage. It's not perfect cosmetically but mechanics are all there with only 70k miles.
I love my toyota's, they have their quirks and issues like anything else just not typically the major drive train problems I see from Ford, Chrysler and GM...of course they seem to have screwed the pooch there on the 3rd gen tundra. That thing broke my heart, so underwhelmed with the new ones.
Main changes here are Bilstiens all around, add a leafs and RAS in the rear for 2.5" more height and the extra weight. 34" tires, Full RCI engine/trans skid plates and rock sliders, c4 bumper, warn evo 12, nuthouse hard deck nutshell rack, natur nest hardshell RTT, Rhino backbone roof platform and a cheap Ironman awning and enclosure.
200watt solar system, 75qt fridge freezer.
working on insulated 20 gal water system with rv style pump and propane instant hot water.
Its a bit heavy loaded with gear and only gets few mpg better than my 8.1L Chev beater but drives/rides really nice. Supercharger would be the ticket but not in the cards presently.
View attachment 742212View attachment 742213View attachment 742214
Which bilsteins did you go with?

ben h

WKR
IMG_8167.JPEG

Heading to Utah from Tennessee tomorrow morning. I don't know how you guys pack everything in small trucks or SUV's. I am going for 2 months, so I do need a lot of different things.

Curious for those of you that have push bars/winch setups, how frequently do you use them? I've always wanted one, but never actually "needed" one. I do want a ranch-hand bumper/brush guard.

6 gallons of gas is going to keep you in the mountains longer?:ROFLMAO:
I take it math isn’t your specialty?

Last edited:
Absolutely love it man, looks like a perfect setup.
It works fine for few nights but practicality wise I keep looking at those go fast pop up camper inserts. I'm trying to keep setup/take down times to a minimum to stay mobile, yet comfortable...the go fast would be easier to hang out in for a day if weather turns nasty. If there was a perfect setup, everyone would run it I'm sure. Most of this is second hand as i was trying to work within a budget. For what it all would have cost new I could have gotten the pop up insert. May yet go that route at some point.

View attachment 744816

Heading to Utah from Tennessee tomorrow morning. I don't know how you guys pack everything in small trucks or SUV's. I am going for 2 months, so I do need a lot of different things.

Curious for those of you that have push bars/winch setups, how frequently do you use them? I've always wanted one, but never actually "needed" one. I do want a ranch-hand bumper/brush guard.
The vast majority of the use my winch sees is utility, or other people stuck.

On the two trucks I've had a winch on (both used hard, and not scared to get them off pavement/gravel) I'm pretty sure I've had one self extraction using the winch. Which ties it with putting chains on the front for getting me out. I had the winch then, just nowhere to anchor without a lot of digging, so I tried chains.

I find I dont need a winch as often when I am in a rig that doesn't have one:ROFLMAO: I push things a lot more when I can just pull cable and unfugger myself.

They are also very nice for dragging trees and rocks out of the way, hanging an animal to process and stretching fence

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 744816

For me it is peace of mind to have the winch. I don’t have lockers so I worry with some of the places I go. That being said it dose not get used all that often but at 11,000 feet with zero service I like the just in case. Who knows I might get an elk right off a road and can winch it up 😂 (highly unlikely). The brush guard is certainly more important, you won’t total the truck if you hit something.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
It works fine for few nights but practicality wise I keep looking at those go fast pop up camper inserts. I'm trying to keep setup/take down times to a minimum to stay mobile, yet comfortable...the go fast would be easier to hang out in for a day if weather turns nasty. If there was a perfect setup, everyone would run it I'm sure. Most of this is second hand as i was trying to work within a budget. For what it all would have cost new I could have gotten the pop up insert. May yet go that route at some point.
Fast setup and take down is what I’m trying to perfect, I found I can sleep well in the back of the 4Runner if I just tuck my tools and totes under the rig. Pretty fast setup and pack up but the camper would definitely be more comfortable. I’m in the same boots and get almost everything secondhand.