What hunt doesn’t interest you?

NUGGET

WKR
Don't feel bad some people are just elitists.

Hell I about wet my pants when I found out I finally drew a Barbary tag? Guess we'll see if it was worth all that excitement come January.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Elitist? Hahaha. It’s a thread about what doesn’t interest you. If someone is offended because of someone’s opinion regarding what they don’t care to hunt then maybe they shouldn’t be posting in this thread.

Good luck on your Barbary sheep hunt! Post a hunt report when done. I like looking at trophies, even if they are for participation 😛

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I apologise for using elitist it was a poor choice of words.

I would hunt just about any kinda sheep for sure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Anything outside of North America doesn’t do anything for me. Mostly because I have yet to hunt everything here in the CONUS that I would like to.

Anything high fence is also a hard no.

Swamp Rat

FNG
Id have to echo the high fence, shed hunting and dogs cornering animals.

A guy I know showed me a video of him and another guy tracking a cougar with dogs. Poor cougar got cornered in a tight outcropping and was shot while fearing for its life for how long. It was sad to watch.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
High fence, anywhere not in North America, never understood the appeal of shooting a giraffe.

AKBorn

WKR
HIgh fence hunts.

Africa.

Shed hunting.

Ducks, geese.

Hunting over food or bait.

Not a species, but in general I don't like hunting when it's warm (above 65 degrees or so).

keller

WKR
I was never interested in Africa till my cousin drew an Oryx tag in new Mexico .I went along and it was actually a fun hunt. From the people I've talked to that like hunting Africa it's probably more about the whole experience than shooting the animals.

Jardo

WKR
Not interested in whitetail, squirrels, Africa, exotics on ranches, or mountain lion.

Everything else is in trouble around me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
There are different scales for sure. It's still not free range so it loses legitimacy, even if it's a big area.

I can't help but find it comical someone would spend the huge $$ it costs to fence in 4400 acres and then pretend like the fence doesn't serve a purpose.

The purpose of the fence is to keep other deer from getting in. These large ranches keep their deer number below carrying capacity. That wouldn’t be possible without a fence.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The purpose of the fence is to keep other deer from getting in. These large ranches keep their deer number below carrying capacity. That wouldn’t be possible without a fence.

I should not do this, but I will engage.

The point of high fences in native wildlife scenario are 3-fold.

#1) Keep the fence hunting neighbor that has 80 acres without a lick of habitat on it from baiting deer over to his costal field to shoot them. Sometimes these guys have 0 respect and consideration for management practices and if it has antlers it gets shot. It is cool to see pictures of that promising 2-year-old baby 10 point on Facebook knowing that he never got a chance to spread his genetics.

#2) Be able to actively control genetics and cull appropriately. Also control herd health and size.

#3) Be able to control stocking rates and controlling that habitat from over grazing. Most guys that have high fence are doing significantly more than running "bait stations". Supplemental feed increases deer health and recruitment rates. A healthy doe with plenty to eat will milk better and raise bigger fawns. There are several studies that I have read that link first year body condition and health to antler development. These studies were done on multiple cervidae species. The ones off the tope of my head were for whitetail, elk and red deer. All the studies showed that a buck fawn that does not get enough groceries will be behind in development by a year or more. No, these studies were not done by Purina. Putting out safeguard wormer feed at spring green up normally helps the animals worm load. This is easy to confirm with fecal sample floats.

Down here in Texas where everything is basically OTC your only limited by having places to hunt and the number of tags on your license and county restrictions. A neighbor with 10 acres that backs up to your 3-section place can legally hunt and harvest as many deer as he wants. Himself, his kids and grandkids can all come shoot deer. This happened last year on one of our places. The neighbor owns an 80-acre costal field. The feeder 10 yards into his place was successful in luring 6 bucks to their demise. Yes, he took 6 bucks and an unknown number of does off 80 acres that has no habitat on it. No, I am not mad about it, but it will take those deer herds on that place years to recover because of one neighbor’s short sightedness and itchy trigger finger. While I am not interested in engaging a debate on why Texas sucks, in other states the wildlife departments set the number of harvests in a particular unit (Excluding landowner tags). Here its more or less set by the landowners. The county restrictions lag behind the game seasons by years and they will not turn a 2 buck 2 doe per license country into a 1 buck 0 doe county until things have gotten bad. Because of this as a landowner it is in your best interest to manage with the future in mind.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There were a lot of animals that I had no interest in hunting until I started bowhunting. And then they became interesting to me.........like sheep, moose, goats, Cape Buffalo, grizz, kudu.....to name a few. I was born and raised in CO and never applied for sheep, moose, and goat until I picked up the bow.

dtrkyman

WKR
Any backpack hunt where the chance of being rained on constantly does not sound like anything I would want to get involved in, Prince of Whales Island comes to mind.

I do not mind hunting in some rain, but I damn well want to dry out on a daily basis!

mlgc20

WKR
At this point in my hunting life, the only thing I really care about is hunting elk in the western states. Although, if I’m being honest, I will hunt just about anything if the situation arises. But, there a few hunts that just don't interest me. If they work for you, great. No offense intended.

Shed hunting
Trapping
Turkey
Alaska
Tree stand

RCB

WKR
I always got a weird feeling about those hunts for exotic species down on big Texas ranches. Nothing wrong with it, but not for me.

Agreed about Alaska, at least right now. I'm sure it's great and all, and maybe some day I'll change my tune. But for now, plenty of opportunity and challenge closer to home.

Shed hunting! Ha. Yeah I don't care much about antlers anyway, so the idea of walking around for hours looking for them on the ground doesn't do a lot for me. I get why people do it, though.

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
Anything I am not going to eat and anything that is not fair chase. For me that includes shooting an elk with a rifle over a few hundred yards, seems ridiculous to drive around on a sxs, waiting for an elk to pop out at 600 yards so I can get out with my shooting sticks and take a poke at it.

I think duck hunting gets a bad rap because there is a large contingent that don't take it seriously. I have re-introduced a good number of people to it, that had never appreciated it before. Growing up on the upper Mississippi we had access to unlimited public river/marsh that we scouted, had spots for every weather situation and depending on where the migration was, get out early to hold the spot, set out a large number of decoys and have flocks decoying in. Living out west I know a lot of guys who scoff at it, but they only know how to pond swat ducks on the river. That's like comparing road hunting during rifle season for elk to backpack hunting for archery elk.

Also if you haven't had a duck jalapeno popper wrapped in bacon, you haven't lived.

Reactions: FLS

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
At this point in my hunting life, the only thing I really care about is hunting elk in the western states.

I hear that. (y) I drew an archery sheep tag this year finally, yet I'm still more excited about my elk hunt this September than the sheep hunt........and I might be hunting OTC.