What Happened to Sitka?

I guess only time will tell if there is any truth to staffing changes or any degradation of the product and or customer service. Personally I think they are still the top dawg in the industry for now. As for deals, seasonal sales, etc.. I feel it’s been on par with previous years.

As for the whole “Dudley” leaving. I think this had zero to do with Sitka. I think Dudley can pick out a winning race horse when he sees one. I think he is just following Jocko and his entourage to another opportunity to grow his brand. Personally I don’t see the flare with Origin Camo minus its ownership and “made in America” selling points. I think it’s gonna have some seriously hard time selling past the knee jerk crowd. I think they will be able to get away with selling to the general crowd just looking to spend money. The diehard hunters who actually use and abuse their stuff to the extreme are gonna discover the fail points of their gear. Leading them to continue utilizing brands that have a substantial amount of time in the game, invested serious capital into R&D and have been well tested time and time again. Brands such as Sitka, Kuiu and some of First Lites stuff.

I’ve been a little disappointed with Sitkas durability lately but the performance is still absolutely on point. Granted I am a Kuiu guy but I can appreciate what Sitka is and has done for performance hunting apparel.

I think it has been mentioned though, it does seem Sitka is so maxed out on accomplishing just about every hunting endeavor that they are doing a lot of “speciality” pieces that just are not appealing to everyone. For example the Mountain Evo jacket, I just didn’t see a use for it. The few times I needed to use I was also stopping to glass and felt the air cut right through to my back. Personally I thought the mountain jacket was much more of a straight forward piece for such an application.

All good questions you have asked but I guess time will only tell if there is any truth to Sitka kind of being in a slump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im the opposite I used the EVO for Sheep season in Aug, elk in sept, bear in oct and Mulies in Nov and ski season after that. Stop taking my rain jacket pretty much. I had a lot wider temperature range with the evo when compared to my rain jacket, while still offering similar properties in wind block, heat core retention, and mild rain projection

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
Having been wearing Sitka in some form since somewhere around 2014, I’ve gotten used to their marketing, advertisements, sales tactics, more recent “influencing”, etc. I can’t help but notice something is very different this year.

The first thing that I noticed was the huge abnormal sales like most folks were pointing out, I chalked that up to overstocking and a win for folks to get cheap high quality Sitka gear.

Second was their summer product releases. There has been almost ZERO marketing for anything they’ve released. They appear to have new shooter gloves, a new bino harness, and more notably brand new very expensive down gear tops and bottoms. I have yet to see a single email, IG post, influencer, etc promoting these pieces. Very very strange.

I’ve also heard from folks in the industry that they’ve had some serious changes in staff, with only one or two folks left from the recent years. I’m guessing one of those is barklow cuz I still see him here and there discussing Sitka.

And lastly, I just saw today John Dudley saying he’s leaving Sitka (and PSE) and will be getting new sponsors. He more or less discussed the staffing issue above and also change in senior leadership.

Maybe I have a tin foil hat on, but something seems off. Is Sitka changing? Are they going out of business? Is it still the Sitka we have all always known and loved?

Let’s see what folks know, think or hear. I’m super curious, because as a long time Sitka fan, I hope they aren’t going anywhere or changing too drastically.

Kuiu has been selling Whitetail gear and now is marketing workwear, I'm not that worried about Sitka.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu has been selling Whitetail gear and now is marketing workwear, I'm not that worried about Sitka.

Honestly after heavily using Kuiu, First Lite and Sitka for years and years. I’ve come full circle to believe Kuiu is at the top of the game right now. Between working for a survival school and rigorous western hunting. I’m confident I’ve run all the main brands through its paces. Kuiu is killing it right now. I’m excited to try out their whitetail line this coming fall.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
That said, I've been on the same gear for about 9 years and need a heavier jacket.
Honestly after heavily using Kuiu, First Lite and Sitka for years and years. I’ve come full circle to believe Kuiu is at the top of the game right now. Between working for a survival school and rigorous western hunting. I’m confident I’ve run all the main brands through its paces. Kuiu is killing it right now. I’m excited to try out their whitetail line this coming fall.

Don't forget that sitka depends on wholesale accounts meaning they inflate their prices so everyone earns money. All the new brands are taking more of a direct to consumer approach - meaning they can sell their inventory at a more realistic price (lower than sitkas markups) therefore sitka puts everything on sale but in the end it's actually just reflecting the true price. this is how sitka can compete.

I use a mix of sitka and kuiu. I agree that at times I lean towards kuiu, but I wish their pants fit me better. Attack pants fit me great than same size in kutana fits me like skinny jeans. I go up in size than the waist is baggy.

Bearsears

WKR
I too have thought its weird they've done almost no marketing this year. However, most of the stuff that was on sale has been replaced by a new piece. Changes in the ambient line like the new hoody with a full zip and pockets, which looks like a direct response to criticism on the first one for example. New beanies, gloves, etc.

I think everyones also nailed that the market was way over saturated and its coming back down to earth now after the covid boom. There is even a Hunt Backcountry Pod where Steve talks about this and some interesting things hes seen from friends that sold to corporations. I imagine hes talking about FL.

Honestly Im so sick of all of the gear pimp influencers that I almost refuse to buy something if a few specific ones endorse it. So if Sitka is moving away from that model that would be awesome.

Anyway I hope Sitka continues to innovate and try new stuff. Im really happy with all of my Sitka and wont be changing anytime soon. I have had pretty much the complete opposite experience as TSU_Archer. I went to Sitka because on a really bad weather hunt my buddies Sitka system functioned so much better than my Kuiu system. Never looked back.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
I too have thought its weird they've done almost no marketing this year. However, most of the stuff that was on sale has been replaced by a new piece. Changes in the ambient line like the new hoody with a full zip and pockets, which looks like a direct response to criticism on the first one for example. New beanies, gloves, etc.

I think everyones also nailed that the market was way over saturated and its coming back down to earth now after the covid boom. There is even a Hunt Backcountry Pod where Steve talks about this and some interesting things hes seen from friends that sold to corporations. I imagine hes talking about FL.

Honestly Im so sick of all of the gear pimp influencers that I almost refuse to buy something if a few specific ones endorse it. So if Sitka is moving away from that model that would be awesome.

Anyway I hope Sitka continues to innovate and try new stuff. Im really happy with all of my Sitka and wont be changing anytime soon. I have had pretty much the complete opposite experience as TSU_Archer. I went to Sitka because on a really bad weather hunt my buddies Sitka system functioned so much better than my Kuiu system. Never looked back.

I can’t agree enough with the whole “gear pimping” from influencers. It’s gotten to a point be it podcasts or social media some guys just absolutely peddling their brands. I get more of the sense of I’m watching a pro sports player try to convince me if I buy this bow im gonna shoot better or if I buy this brand camo the elk won’t see me and I’ll put as big of an elk on the ground all because I bought all the cool stuff he or she is using. It’s such a departure from what good ole wholesome hunting used to represent.

I will say some stuff from Sitka is beyond better than anything else on the market, mainly items where their relationship with Goretex is best utilized. Good example is rain gear. Just super hard to compete with the world leader in waterproofing tech.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
It seems that Sitka and First Lite are following a similar trend. Both brands have shifted from a focus on providing super high-quality and functional gear to prioritizing profit margins. Polyester is the cheapest textile available for manufacturing gear, and now First Lite has introduced an entire line made of 100% polyester. The new pants must cost next to nothing to produce. It’s disappointing. Hopefully, Kuiu will maintain its commitment to quality. Once consumers realize they're paying premium prices for subpar quality, these companies may face rapid decline. However, it's possible they may not be concerned as long as their investors are satisfied.

TheTone

WKR

I’ll probably try out something from the kuiu whitetail line archery elk hunting this year. I hunt country that is typically really thick( north Idaho) so having quiet fleece can be real nice

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
It seems that Sitka and First Lite are following a similar trend. Both brands have shifted from a focus on providing super high-quality and functional gear to prioritizing profit margins. Polyester is the cheapest textile available for manufacturing gear, and now First Lite has introduced an entire line made of 100% polyester. The new pants must cost next to nothing to produce. It’s disappointing. Hopefully, Kuiu will maintain its commitment to quality. Once consumers realize they're paying premium prices for subpar quality, these companies may face rapid decline. However, it's possible they may not be concerned as long as their investors are satisfied.

I was a First Lite ambassador for them back in the early years of the brand back before they really even had any outerwear when everything was ASAT and Max-1 camo. They used to be such a down to earth company where you were known on a first name basis. The product was awesome, the company was solid and it felt they could do zero wrong. Fast forward to recent years and it’s awful.

Awful to the point that I could no longer in good faith retain a status that gave me 60% off of unlimited orders. I pulled the plug a few years back. I could no longer take something from a company at such a deep discount when I had zero confidence in the product nor the company. I was no longer comfortable holding my tongue to anyone who asked me about FL and having to lie about it. The brand seems so driven on marketing and brand image and very little on actually making a quality product. I just hope Sitka doesn’t slip into a similar rut. They’re actually the brand that I found to be tremendously better and switched to when I decided to pull the plug on my affiliation with FL.

Seeing their latest stuff reaffirms I’m glad I stepped away.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Saw that Sikta dropped their new "ultra orange collection" which is nothing more than branded cotton hoodies and Tshirts because... that's what the hunting consumer needs, more orange casual wear. Definitely couldn't benefit from some more technical outwear options in blaze orange.

This has been interesting to read through. Especially the comment about them maybe going to a "direct to consumer" model. Although that would arguably be at odds with the lack of marketing pointed out by the OP. I guess time will tell...

There are two things I have never been able to figure out about Sitka...

1) There are constantly new Sitka pieces on EBay being offered at a discount. The same cannot be said for FL, Kuiu, etc. At least not at the same volumes. I have always assumed that maybe this was due to a period where Sitka was way too liberal with a "pro discount" program?

2) This seems newer, and I'll use the Mountain Evo jacket as an example. That thing came out in 2023 I think? It was billed as the "layer you never have to takeoff, etc.". Basically lots of marketing, lots of new technology infused, etc. Fast foward not even 12 months later, and it's at a steep discount on their own website. It just seems like they're quick to have massive sales even on some newer stuff, and (at least from an outsiders viewpoint) there never seems to be a logical reason why (like a new, replacement item coming). The only logical things seem like they would be 1) way too much inventory as someone pointed out, or 2) new leadership potentially emphasizing revenue over margin to meet cash goals or something like that. As a consumer, I love it. But it's a weird trend to see a business hype a product cut the price drastically within a year of it being on the market.

Both of these seem to cheapen the brand, which is unfortunate because I think Sitka is top of the line in terms of quality. #2 is just an interesting observation, and it does seem like it could indicate some chaos behind the scenes. I think the business side of the hunting industry is really interesting; I should probably find better things to waste my brain power on....

Dear Sitka, if you are reading this. Build a quality product like the Jetstream, Ambient, Mountain pants etc…and stay with it! Maybe make upgrades to the product where need be and as textiles evolve. Please quit with the constant changeover of clothing! Lastly, how about maybe nice decent gloves that are warm, socks etc that are actually useful.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Funny story. Had work down in Bozeman today so popped into the “Depot” real quick to get hands on this new mega down puffy. Got help right away, super nice folks. When he stated telling me about the fill having little gold flecks in it (ie Allied Expedry) I had to laugh. They knew it was 90/10 primaloft gold and 800 FP, just didn’t know the sleep bag was completely different fill power and product. It’s almost as if they switched fills after field testing and didn’t actually tell anyone.

For what it’s worth the fit seemed good, it’s a nice piece, but pants didn’t seem reinforced at wear points. What they are using for fill works great in the lite down products, so maybe no biggie? They pointed out they weren’t 3/4 like the lite down models. Still asinine to name the same way as the sleep bag.

wapitibob

WKR
The best piece of Sitka I have is the original 90% jacket. I think 2nd best and may make it to #1 is the 2023 Mountain Jacket with Infinium; more than a shirt but not quite a jacket and I really like it. The new model is noticeably thinner/lighter weight. Other than those two, I'm always wearing a core and mid wt or core and hvy wt. Bought some Ascent pants a cpl years ago and still haven't worn them.

sf jakey

WKR
The best piece of Sitka I have is the original 90% jacket. I think 2nd best and may make it to #1 is the 2023 Mountain Jacket with Infinium; more than a shirt but not quite a jacket and I really like it. The new model is noticeably thinner/lighter weight. Other than those two, I'm always wearing a core and mid wt or core and hvy wt. Bought some Ascent pants a cpl years ago and still haven't worn them.
Totally agree on the original 90% jacket. Nothing like it since. I actually like the old mountain mimicry pattern.

rideold

WKR

Totally agree on the original 90% jacket. Nothing like it since. I actually like the old mountain mimicry pattern.

So true. I'm still using my 90% jacket and pants as my primary hunting clothes. Every time I wear them I think about how to repair/reinforce the cuffs that are starting to wear and fray.....I don't know what I will replace them with but the one piece of newer Sitka I have is awfully loud!

This has been interesting to read through. Especially the comment about them maybe going to a "direct to consumer" model. Although that would arguably be at odds with the lack of marketing pointed out by the OP. I guess time will tell...

There are two things I have never been able to figure out about Sitka...

1) There are constantly new Sitka pieces on EBay being offered at a discount. The same cannot be said for FL, Kuiu, etc. At least not at the same volumes. I have always assumed that maybe this was due to a period where Sitka was way too liberal with a "pro discount" program?

2) This seems newer, and I'll use the Mountain Evo jacket as an example. That thing came out in 2023 I think? It was billed as the "layer you never have to takeoff, etc.". Basically lots of marketing, lots of new technology infused, etc. Fast foward not even 12 months later, and it's at a steep discount on their own website. It just seems like they're quick to have massive sales even on some newer stuff, and (at least from an outsiders viewpoint) there never seems to be a logical reason why (like a new, replacement item coming). The only logical things seem like they would be 1) way too much inventory as someone pointed out, or 2) new leadership potentially emphasizing revenue over margin to meet cash goals or something like that. As a consumer, I love it. But it's a weird trend to see a business hype a product cut the price drastically within a year of it being on the market.

Both of these seem to cheapen the brand, which is unfortunate because I think Sitka is top of the line in terms of quality. #2 is just an interesting observation, and it does seem like it could indicate some chaos behind the scenes. I think the business side of the hunting industry is really interesting; I should probably find better things to waste my brain power on....
Funny you mention this about the Evo Jacket. You are right, this was hyped up for months on podcasts and then released to the public as this game changing piece. I'll preface by saying I love this jacket and it's one of my absolute go to pieces. I like it better than the original Mountain jacket.

It is now discontinued after less than 12 months (confirmed by CS team) as they will be updating it.

They discontinued the WS Puffy Jacket and the replacement doesn't have wind stopper in it which I thought was odd. This leads me to two possibilities. 1: They want to lighten it/increase breathability, and make you buy the wind stopper Jetstream/mountain evo. 2: something happened with Gore / Windstopper and Sitka's ability to use it.

Time will tell when they re-release the mountain evo 2.0 product next fall (public info from CS team). You don't just discontinue a product after 10 months...seems odd.