What does it take to kill a grizzly?

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
He is far more aggressive over there and I'm not sure if that is just the way that forum is run or what. Thought at the start maybe it was drunk posting but now, it would have to be a heck of a bender he was on to take it this far and this long.

Jay
A lot easier to be a keyboard warrior when the person you are calling out doesn’t post on that forum. Think it was more that he wanted to rile up a mob with pitchforks and then lead the charge over here.

The Guide

WKR
Do you describe that build in another thread?
He does. It started with a post in the 223 thread last year but he started another thread with his build info and such. There is quite a bit of knowledge and information shared on that thread. I have an upper but need to order an ultralight lower and decide what barrel to use. I'm thinking a 6x45 and a folding UL stock would be a great one to just take everywhere with you in a backpack.

Jay

Thegman

WKR
Do you describe that build in another thread?
Yes, as mentioned, there are a couple of build lists at the start of the thread and now a bunch of others as well.

The one on the grizzly is the first UL-UL 223 I built.

The one on the moose and pictured on the scale in this thread is the latest 223.

It's on this page, but the barrel, stock and handguard are described pages earlier. It's working out really well. One of my favorite builds so far.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
I hypothesize the highest risk, in MtnW’s case, between the two scenarios of A)random bear mauling or B)bush plane crash…
would be B) bush plane crash.

Assuming he’s piping off most of the time like this, the bears would be high tailing it for the next drainage over anyway (due to the fear of succumbing to his mastery) and the bush pilot would be distracted by resisting the urge to fly head first into the nearest mountain to make the ranting stop.

Superx3

FNG
I will start by saying I have never killed a brown bear or grizzly, but would love to one day. If I do go on a hunt I will likely take my 270Wsm. Some people would ask why? Because I have 110% faith that it will do the job! I personally have never been a fan of the 223 so I’m dang sure not taking it on an expensive guided hunt. (I don’t live in Alaska). That being said an AR .223 in self defense would definitely be better than a 9mm. But I’m pretty sure in that situation every red blooded person I know would probably rather have a 300 blackout than a .223 when it came to tangling with a pissed off grizz. Now let’s all put a way the rulers, and be thankful we live in this great county that lets us have the opportunity to hunt and express our opinions!

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
I will start by saying I have never killed a brown bear or grizzly, but would love to one day. If I do go on a hunt I will likely take my 270Wsm. Some people would ask why? Because I have 110% faith that it will do the job! I personally have never been a fan of the 223 so I’m dang sure not taking it on an expensive guided hunt. (I don’t live in Alaska). That being said an AR .223 in self defense would definitely be better than a 9mm. But I’m pretty sure in that situation every red blooded person I know would probably rather have a 300 blackout than a .223 when it came to tangling with a pissed off grizz. Now let’s all put a way the rulers, and be thankful we live in this great county that lets us have the opportunity to hunt and express our opinions!
I'd take a 223. I don't get the point of 300 blk unless you NEED something quiet and are shooting subs.

JGRaider

WKR
A lot easier to be a keyboard warrior when the person you are calling out doesn’t post on that forum. Think it was more that he wanted to rile up a mob with pitchforks and then lead the charge over here.
Thin skinned people die a quick death over on that board.

So far I have seen no compelling logic or advantages of using a 223 for grizzlies over any other heavier more accepted cartridges.....except for lighter recoil which someone has posted a grown man should be able to handle most levels up to perhaps a 30-06. I myself have no problem shooting my 505 Gibbs for 10 rounds and I'm not a tough guy at all. Perhaps all of this could easily be settled by someone listing the advantages and thus perhaps some logic around it. Let's see the disadvantages list as well. Let's see the lists and maybe change some minds. I'm sure someone here can provide both. I'm not for or against...just want to see the reasonable logic.

BTW, anyone comparing the effects of a 450gr arrow/broadhead to a 223 bullet to try to make a point.....isn't.

Bubbadoyle

Lil-Rokslider
This is just my opinion but I think any cartridge shooting a bullet that will push through both lungs will result in a dead bear. The amount of trauma caused will lead do different times and distances between the shot and when it finally expires. A .224 caliber with the proper bullet and a well placed shot should lead to a clean kill. With that being said the chambering required for a grizzly in a defense situation is drastically different. A grizzly is not something I’d be pushing the limits of small calibers if I ever were to hunt one as I have many other chamberings that I would consider better but I’d certainly have confidence in a well constructed bullet being able to push through both lungs and effectively kill one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro