What does it take to kill a grizzly?

MtnW

WKR
One of the largest grizzly bears ever killed was by a indigenous woman with a .22 riimfire at about 10 ft hit in the noggin . When the bear was attacking her sled dogs.

Fred Bear shot numerous grizzly and brown bears with his long bow.Yes Fred Bear hunted with a guide backing him up with a .375 H&H. Stories exist from some of Fred’s business cronies that several grizzly/brown bears were killed at close quarters by his guide(s) with their 375 H&H’s before Fred was successful in actually KILLING A BEAR with his bow. The videos now seen today.

I have friends who have been successful bow killing both grizzly and brown bears, never at the first booked hunt attempt and they were backed up by GUIDES with .416’ s and .375’s. The honest ones will also tell you they have wounded bears with their bows and had to put their guide in danger to go into the alders to actually kill the bear for them with their .416’s.

My only owned rifle when I started at Montanna State as a struggling college freshman was a custom stocked Sako 22-250. I killed a couple of big mulies up in the Missouri Breaks and a couple Pronghorns around Pony Montana on friends ranches . The guys at Powderhorn Sports Shop in Bozeman set me up with some factory Remington 55 grin Core-Loks to hunt with. It worked wonderful if I had the time to wait and hunt until I had a perfect broadside shot. When elk season arrived I had a 7MM REM Mag.

People have killed Cape Buffalo with a .17 Remington.

A designated grizzly/brown bear hunt is a very serious hunt. The hunts are usually only of 10 days duration,
with weather delays of sometimes 8 of those 10 days. The hunts are around $25K . NO discounts for weather days when you can’t see 20 ft outside your tent or cabin. Unless you are a AK , Yukon resident, indigenous people you will be hunting with a guide . Again your hunt will be booked for about 10 days. In my earlier bear hunting days you could have paid me to hunt a grizzly/brown bear with a .223 and the right bullet but I would be backed by a experienced guide with a .338, 9.3X62, .416, .458, or a 375.

Point is if everything lines out perfectly you can kill the largest brown bear on the planet with a .22 mag
Rimfire.

If you do enough hunting you know that usually nothing is perfect and perfect conditions can become a nightmare when the grizzly you are going to shoot makes a sudden movement, gets your wind and is now heading straight at you instead of your perfect broadside shot. Then your .223 feels like a BB gun.

If you have unlimited time and resources,a friend or guide to back you up if the bear decides to come for you or circle around you through the alders to thick to see him and comes out 8-20 feet from you your position your .223 REM might just work as a grizzly/brown bear gun or it may not. Sure not what my circle of experienced friends, hunting buddies and outfitters use when they are hunting for their own pleasure.

LCV

FNG
If you do enough hunting you know that usually nothing is perfect and perfect conditions can become a nightmare when the grizzly you are going to shoot makes a sudden movement, gets your wind and is now heading straight at you instead of your perfect broadside shot. Then your .223 feels like a BB gun.
You can’t post something this silly if you want to be taken seriously. Thanks for using paragraphs this time though.

Just for fun which of these bullets is .308 and which is the bb gun?

1:
max penetration = 17”
max cavity = 4.5”
depth of max cavity = 4.5”

2:
max penetration = 15.25”
max cavity = 5”
depth of max cavity = 4.5”

MtnW

WKR
What test medium you shooting those in to ?
1) Cape buffalo
2) kangaroo
3)chamois
4)cave bear

mt100gr.

WKR
1) I remember reading on here that bears are just tissue and bones in a leather pouch....JUST LIKE ANY ANIMAL!!

2) JUST because you FUDD, doesn't mean you should.

Carry on.

Thegman

WKR
Wow,you sure about that?
It looks like it’s really had some hard use on those many moose and grizz hunts of yours!!!
Pretty sure...my rifles may get out a little more than yours.
20240530_215412.jpg
20240906_185357.jpg

A little math here. Your experience with what you're espousing is 0.

My experience with same is a positive integer.

All positive integers are infinitely larger than zero.

First, where exactly did I insult wildlife professionals? Please go back and read my post again and quote it directly.

Second, why do you think doing something that same way over and over again automatically makes you smarter? You don’t learn by doing if you don’t take time to collect information from what you did, and critically evaluate that information and adjust what you do base on that information. Learning is about questioning, experimenting, and sharing what you’ve learned. I’d don’t see any evidence that you are doing any of that. Instead you appear to be complaining about someone else doing that and casting doubt on their information without providing any of your own.

But perhaps I’m wrong. What is your experience? Are you a biologist or a guide? What’s your actual grizzly body count? How many rounds do you shoot per year in practice and how many animals do you kill and see killed in an average year? What information and observations do you take from that vast experience? And please share with us your knowledge of ballistics and how bullets actually wound and kill. Provide the evidence, not just things you think or feel. If you don’t have evidence about things you think or feel, by all means, go forth and get it and tell us what you find. We will wait patiently.

And by the way, I am a wildlife biologist and have made my living doing that continuously for over 30 years.
Game. Set. Match. Well done

LCV

FNG
I don’t have any questions . Just stating facts, experiences and opinions.
Well, I quoted you asking a question. You’ve provided no facts. And you refuse to reply when asked about your experiences. We can agree you’ve provided opinions however.
So just trolling I see. Carry on.

MtnW

WKR
Pretty sure...my rifles may get out a little more than yours.
View attachment 766793
View attachment 766794

A little math here. Your experience with what you're espousing is 0.

My experience with same is a positive integer.

All positive integers are infinitely larger than zero.

Very nice. Well done.
How do you keep your kit looking so new?
After a few hunts up in BC my stocks are pretty scratched up.
Never said the mighty mite .223 wouldn’t kill , just not my cup of tea for
hunting Grizzly.

MtnW

WKR
You’re looking more silly the more you post. Not less.

I know it feels like you are getting zingers in. You’re not.

Just trying to help a dude
Don’t really care how I look, or what anyone feels, thinks or how I don’t drink the Kool-Aid from Formidolosus . Very few who are commenting here have even had a grizzly tag in their pocket Let alone stare down a grizzly rather it be with a .223 REM or a 300 H&H INCLUDING FORMIDLOSUS.

Most commenting here have what Pollo calls “classroom course work “ provided by Formiidulosus.. ZERO actual field experience hunting grizzly .

Pretty satisfied, secure, happy , and extremely blessed to have lived the hunting career I have experienced. Those who have actually successfully hunted a grizzly with a .223 REM ,cool, it is not a anomaly, and they are not super heroes.As I stated earlier , when I was still killing bears I would have gladly hunted a grizzly with a .223 REM if someone PAID for my grizzly hunt!! However knowing what I do and my experiences hunting grizzly and being around them most of my life, I would just insist on someone backing me up with at least a .338 WIN.

AS I stated earlier one of the largest grizzlies ever killed is listed in the Boone and Crockett record books and was killed by a tiny indigenous woman with a 22 Rimfire at 10 feet protecting her sled dogs from the grizzlies attack.

Bears can be very easy to kill. they can also be f****** dangerous. It’s America boys , if it’s legal to hunt 9’ bears with a 223 REM and that’s what trips your trigger have at it!!!! Your float plane or super cub trip flying through the mountains in the weather is probably way more dangerous than your bear hunt will be.