What do you do about ATV/Snowmobile idiots?

I'd anonymously provide the photo, GPS coordinates and spark plug to each violating vehicle to law enforcement. Carry a socket wrench.

Last edited:
Maybe I should start packing a cable cutter
I carry a pair of dykes in my tackle box to snip off barbs in case of an accidental hooking. I can neither confirm nor deny that they have been used on illegally parked vehicles at boat ramps, remote locations, or WMAs.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Photo, GPS. Cut fuel lines.

They can’t prove the person reporting is the person pulling a spark plug or cutting fuel lines. Be a hero, these punks never learn nor care about public lands and LE is way to slow to do anything. We should police our own in the backcountry.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Funny how some of you like to complain about illegal activity and then justify your own illegal actions. Sad
Though it crossed my mind I don’t think I could do that. Probably just call them in if I was that pissed.

In this instance I gave them the benefit of doubt and gave them a chance to get it back to where it’s legal.

Ha that would be something. Getting caught destroying government property would be something else.

Well, I'm just a contractor, so it's not Government property. I don't have any identifying decals/insignia on any of my vehicles. Most of the time I'd think it would be pretty obvious. It's not something I have really been concerned with, reading thru the posts makes me think otherwise.

Get detailed pictures, with some way to ID the vehicle/snowmoblile/or whatever, with some way to prove location. Around here, the FS law enforcement is shorthanded and generally takes several days for any kind of response........if they even return the call.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Photo, GPS. Cut fuel lines.

They can’t prove the person reporting is the person pulling a spark plug or cutting fuel lines. Be a hero, these punks never learn nor care about public lands and LE is way to slow to do anything. We should police our own in the backcountry.
Wow.

What if there was an emergency and the fuel line you cut was the victims ride to safety?

I’m as black and white as it gets with rules and laws, but I can tell you to this day I still make a fool of myself being ignorant and acting out over a rule breaker, only to find out it was a situation that didn’t lend all the info to me from my angle.
If you’re not the ON DUTY individual whose sworn duty is to enforce the related violation in YOUR jurisdiction, best to leave it alone and document and notify who is the responsible LEO.

This kind of thing is hammered into all levels of law enforcement, for good reason. An extreme case-which happens far too often-is when an armed civilian reacts to a situation and an undercover officer is shot.

I've come across an ATV illegally parked in a non motorized area ... It was actually in a great elk feeding area. I had the dipshit on camera chwcking his own camera and hanging a tree stand with his little foofy white dog and kid in his Sunday best, who all obviously did not hike the 5 miles to get back to that camera spot.

I had pics of his truck plates, atv racks in the bed, tracks left in the mud going around the gate, and of his ATV. Called FS law enforcement and never got a call back.

I will try again next time I find his ATV out there. If I still don't have any luck, it will be very hard to not vandalize his ATV in the future. Probably still wouldn't be able to do it though.

It sucks this stuff happens and nothing is done about it.

Sidenote, a Utah legislator went to jail for leading an illegal ATV ride through BLM land. He was pardoned by Trump and is still a Utah legislator. Ain't Utah great?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Wow.

What if there was an emergency and the fuel line you cut was the victims ride to safety?

I’m as black and white as it gets with rules and laws, but I can tell you to this day I still make a fool of myself being ignorant and acting out over a rule breaker, only to find out it was a situation that didn’t lend all the info to me from my angle.
If you’re not the ON DUTY individual whose sworn duty is to enforce the related violation in YOUR jurisdiction, best to leave it alone and document and notify who is the responsible LEO.

This kind of thing is hammered into all levels of law enforcement, for good reason. An extreme case-which happens far too often-is when an armed civilian reacts to a situation and an undercover officer is shot.

That’s a big “what if” but I’ll play along if you want. What if they’re burying a body of an annoying GF they just murdered? What if they stole that machine and are out joy riding? What if they are a Russian scout looking for a place to build a bunker for the invasion?

Bottom line is this. They’re destroying public lands and experiences for others who are getting away from the noise of roads/trails where legal to ride. They’re possibly putting pressure on already stressed game and causing low reproductive rates. My empathy is a negative 10, same level as a poacher.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
That’s fine, you can take my point literally or hypothetically, doesn’t change the fact you’re advocating committing a crime-to punish someone committing a crime.
Now when someone sees you, and decides to exact a criminal offense to you or your vehicle……see how this is a stupid idea?

7-Reasons-Why-Winter-Hunting-is-the-Superior-Season.pngdownload (4).jpegattachment.jpegimages (6).jpeg

It's the publics land.

If you can walk it, you should be able to ride a horse, a dirt bike, a quad/sxs, a wheeler, a helicopter or land a plane.

If you can't, it's not the publics land. I'm not in favor of limiting anyone's preference to utilize what is the publics.

Except bicyclists on streets in the middle of the road. They can get bent.

"First they came for........"

Edit before anyone jumps to conclusions, I'm a conservationist, but do not believe use should be limited.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Funny how some of you like to complain about illegal activity and then justify your own illegal actions. Sad

Pretty much. It's the concept that if they find someone in the wrong, they gonna fix it. If anyone gets caught messing with someone's stuff and retaliated against, can't say I'd feel sorry for them.

The snow mobile tracks in the OP's pictures aren't tearing anything up. He's just being pissy cause someone else is fishing his fishing hole. "they ruined it"

Mojave

WKR

Here is a thread I made about this. If you can't get ahold of law enforcement at the time, or they are too far away or too busy at the time, take detailed pictures of license plates, OHV stickers, and tracks of machine going around gate etc. Try to get some identifiable landmarks and time stamps if you can, then email them with a detailed description to the Forest Service Law Enforcement Officer for the region (or whatever land management agency it is for the area it occurred on). The better your photos and description, the more likely a citation can be issued.
Yes, if not the violation has to take place in the presence of an LEO to get a ticket.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
That’s fine, you can take my point literally or hypothetically, doesn’t change the fact you’re advocating committing a crime-to punish someone committing a crime.
Now when someone sees you, and decides to exact a criminal offense to you or your vehicle……see how this is a stupid idea?

In a world where USFS does not or cannot (another debate topic) do their jobs and stop these habitual offenders then some men feel the need to punish themselves. Some don’t, that’s fine. I hope no one rides their ATV illegally through your honey hole on opening morning. I’ve seen the worst of illegal situations in wilderness areas more than once to have a chip on my shoulder. There’s a reason Americans love a good vigilante move right? Agree to disagree, Have a good day, mean it!