What do you consider a "chip shot"

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Anything under 700 yards with the right conditions for rifle. For archery anything under 40 yards.

Macintosh

WKR
Anything under 700 yards with the right conditions for rifle. For archery anything under 40 yards.
Off topic maybe, but for archery I stopped taking shots longer than 25 yards. Beyond that range deer were jumping the string enough to make for a few bad hits, and by the time it got far-enough out for the sound to not cause a major reaction it was well past my ability. Luckily my bullets get there before the sound does so its not an issue with a rifle for me. However, I suppose it could be relevant for a follow up shot at longer range.

For me I would say in normal conditions less than 250yds on an unspooked game animal would constitute a "chip shot". Minimal to no dialing, wind compensation etc. Once you get beyond that it takes a little longer to setup, get steady, keep an eye on the critter, range the animal etc.

For me, anything inside 600 depending on conditions, time allowed to shoot, position, rest etc

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Considering we're on a long range hunting thread on a forum that tends to collect individuals who are serious about their passions, I don't find that surprising at all.

If this post was made on the Western Hunting Facebook page, and Jim Bob and Bubba were telling you about killing bulls at 600 with a lil Kentucky windage, I think you'd have a point to make.

Jim Bob and Bubbas are everywhere on the internet, including here.

Shooting position and environment drive any given “chip shot” consideration. If prone, less than 10mph wind, and able to run my shooting sequence the range gets extended. Anything in changing conditions, as others have sanely pointed out, is a situational decision.

From a few days ago…

30 second clock, seated, off my pack, L to R winds 6 gusting to 13:
1708843010853.jpeg

60 second clock, working skills to shoot standing with a tripod, pulled all three to the right. 60 second clock, seated, off pack were center. L to R winds 8 gusting to 17:
1708843358458.jpeg

90 second clock, prone, aiming for shadow, winds L to R, 4 gusting to 10:
1708843418198.jpeg

I don’t know how some of you are stone cold killers off a tripod at distance. For the life of me I can’t shoot for piss off a tripod passed about 300 🤷

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Shooting position and environment drive any given “chip shot” consideration. If prone, less than 10mph wind, and able to run my shooting sequence the range gets extended. Anything in changing conditions, as others have sanely pointed out, is a situational decision.

From a few days ago…

30 second clock, seated, off my pack, L to R winds 6 gusting to 13:
View attachment 678514

60 second clock, working skills to shoot standing with a tripod, pulled all three to the right. 60 second clock, seated, off pack were center. L to R winds 8 gusting to 17:
View attachment 678515

90 second clock, prone, aiming for shadow, winds L to R, 4 gusting to 10:
View attachment 678516

I don’t know how some of you are stone cold killers off a tripod at distance. For the life of me I can’t shoot for piss off a tripod passed about 300 🤷
Technique, gear, and practice.

Tricer BC or a Sirui. Both are lightweight, which is a factor, but I use what I hunt with.
Got it. I hunt with a RRS TFCT-34L with an Anvil head (like 5.5 pounds) plus another 9oz for the PT-Scout head for glassing. So stability-wise I think it's way different for me as that's RRS' most stable tripod I believe. But I'm also not hunting as hardcore as you probably.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tricer BC or a Sirui. Both are lightweight, which is a factor, but I use what I hunt with.
It can be done sitting with that gear. But, the huge difference between up off the ground and prone is learning to build support for the body and rifle.

Prone gives all that support, build it back in to shoot off the tripod, rock, tree, or fence post.

Some people are much better than others, I have to work hard and practice in a couple different ways.

Just like you can shoot from prone off the pack, you could shoot off the ground. Seems clear that you have shooting skills.

Felix40

WKR
I think I have a different definition of chip shot than a lot of people here. For me it’s a shot that is easy enough that I would be totally shocked and bewildered if I didn’t hit exactly where I wanted. Posting groups from range sessions is very different from shooting across a canyon at an animal from a spot that is most likely not level or free of rocks, cactus, etc.

For me it’s probably around 300yds, maybe little further on an elk.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think I have a different definition of chip shot than a lot of people here. For me it’s a shot that is easy enough that I would be totally shocked and bewildered if I didn’t hit exactly where I wanted. Posting groups from range sessions is very different from shooting across a canyon at an animal from a spot that is most likely not level or free of rocks, cactus, etc.

I understand exactly what you are saying about the terrain. Most hunting doesn’t allow for prone shots. It’s why I practice off a tripod. My favorite shot is off the side of a mountain.

I never believed a tripod could ever be as good as it is, until someone taught me. You can see the videos in my post earlier in the thread.

I think we agree, cause when I think of a chip shot, I think of good conditions. There is no such thing as a chip shot in bad conditions in long range.

I understand exactly what you are saying about the terrain. Most hunting doesn’t allow for prone shots. It’s why I practice off a tripod. My favorite shot is off the side of a mountain.

I never believed a tripod could ever be as good as it is, until someone taught me. You can see the videos in my post earlier in the thread.

I think we agree, cause when I think of a chip shot, I think of good conditions. There is no such thing as a chip shot in bad conditions in long range.
I really need to get around to finding a way to upload a big tripod shooting PDF I made. A guy posted a bunch of informational stuff with pics/vids of how to use a shooting tripod on SH so I compiled it all into a PDF but it's too big to upload here. Any ideas?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really need to get around to finding a way to upload a big tripod shooting PDF I made. A guy posted a bunch of informational stuff with pics/vids of how to use a shooting tripod on SH so I compiled it all into a PDF but it's too big to upload here. Any ideas?
Sending you a PM.

Weldor

WKR
When I'm hunting no such thing as a chip shot for me. JMHO. I try never to take anything for granted when shooting at a animal.

eric1115

WKR

100% agree.

If the deal is, 1 shot, cold bore $1 per yard if it's a hit, but you lose $10 per yard if it's a miss. What distance are you picking on a 10" target?

Field conditions in average or better wind/weather, I'm going with 300 yards. $300 for a hit, very very low chance of a $3000 miss.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When I'm hunting no such thing as a chip shot for me. JMHO. I try never to take anything for granted when shooting at a animal.
Yeah, can’t take anything for granted, even a “gimme” putt can be shanked.