What did you do in the reloading room today?

SloppyJ

WKR
I bought an all-in one case prep center from Frankfort Arsenal and it takes a lot of the headache out.
Have you found any good replacement heads for the cutter or the duburring part? After about 600 cases trimming and deburring is super slow for me.

SloppyJ

WKR
Prepped another 100rds of new peterson 6creed brass for my first match this weekend.

Loaded 125rds at 40.2gr of H4350 with 108eldms.

I'm so glad I bought the FA intellidropper and powered case prep center. Still took a bunch of time but a lot less than it once did.

I ran out of 4350 and had to go out and pick up another pound at basspro. At that point they had me for $67.99. I've been wanting to try the VV powders for a long time so I ordered some N570 for my 300prc and N555 for my 6 creed. It's not much cheaper but I hit pressure early with the peterson 6creed brass so I figured that might help too.

1000004907.jpg

Have you found any good replacement heads for the cutter or the duburring part? After about 600 cases trimming and deburring is super slow for me.
I've not had any issue yet, and I've probably worked around 400 cases so far. However, I'll look around and see what's out there for it. I assume you can get replacements from FA.

I didn't see any replacement heads on the FA site. I emailed them and asked if they sell them.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I've not had any issue yet, and I've probably worked around 400 cases so far. However, I'll look around and see what's out there for it. I assume you can get replacements from FA.

I didn't see any replacement heads on the FA site. I emailed them and asked if they sell them.
I was wondering if any of the carbide heads from Redding or RCBS would fit. At this point I feel like I'm squishing the necks into the cutter instead of trimming them off.

I was wondering if any of the carbide heads from Redding or RCBS would fit. At this point I feel like I'm squishing the necks into the cutter instead of trimming them off.
Here is the response from FA:

"Thank you for reaching out, at this time we do not sell them (trim, debur, chamfer heads) individually but if you're in need of a warranty case I will be happy to help you."

It wouldn't hurt to see if one off the other manufacturers heads fit if you can find them close and they're easy to return if they don't fit. If not, I'd contact FA and look into the warranty claim.

Tested pressure with SB 6.5 and 150 grain Fusions in my 7mm-08 last week. Max book charge of 48.5 showed pressure with slight ejector mark, but no trouble with bolt lift or cycling.

I loaded up 20 rounds and plan to hit the range to check velocity and grouping if the wind ever stops blowing.

Seating the 150s with the boattail/bullet junction meeting the neck/case junction, I ended up with COL around 2.88 +/- a couple thousandths. This length is too long for the Tikka "M" mags, so I swapped in a LA bolt stop and borrowed a "L" mag from my .25-06. I loaded up 3 rounds to test feeding and they worked flawlessly. Can't wait to get to the range.
Range results...

100 yards, black dots are 1.5"ish (shaded inside of black electrical tape roll with sharpie)

Shot 3 at bottom middle target to check zero. Adjusted .5 mils right.
Shot 3 at top right target to confirm zero. Adjusted .1 mils right.
Shot remaining 14 at top middle target. All shots landed inside 1.5"

Brass is 1x fired nickel plated Federal Premium .308 I necked down with Redding FL sizing die.
Primers are CCI LRP.

Attachments

• IMG_6022.jpeg
    IMG_6022.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6023.jpeg
    IMG_6023.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6025.jpeg
    IMG_6025.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 16
@jjohnsonElknewbie you can't be upset with those results!
No sir, I'm loving this Tikka 7-08. It's bone stock other than Limbsaver, vertical grip, and flat forend. First load with 120 NBT and Varget shot about the same. I appreciate it being so forgiving for a newb reloader such as myself! LOL!

EDIT: Not sure how I forgot to mention it's chopped to 18" and suppressed. Duh man, and apologies ya'll.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Cut 2" off my barrel and added an Enticer Lti a cpl months ago. Noticed groups opened up a little so I finally got out to reshoot some powder then try seating depth, 200 yards. Load prior to installing the can was 81.3 and 3.170 cbto. Will go back in a cpl days to confirm the 81.6 and 3.180 cbto.

powder and seating test 7-31-24.jpg

I'm waiting on a 6.5 PRC to arrive for our moose hunt. I'm planning to send a 147gr ELD.

I picked up H1000 and N565 to try right off the rip.

Loaded the N565 a few days ago and set up some H1000 tonight:

I have these set up for when it gets here to find pressure w/ 1ea of both powders at 56-56.5-57-57.5-58-58.5 and 59 @ 2.955 OAL.

View attachment 743564
58.5-59.5gr is a sweet spot for velocity/accuracy with H1000 and N565 for 143gr ELDXs, I imagine you’ll find a great combo around the same for the 147 ELDMs. Make sure to post up what your results are as you progress 👍

Harvey_NW

WKR
58.5-59.5gr is a sweet spot for velocity/accuracy with H1000 and N565 for 143gr ELDXs, I imagine you’ll find a great combo around the same for the 147 ELDMs. Make sure to post up what your results are as you progress 👍
Got my rifle back and bedded in the new stock last night, hoping to test those exact combos this weekend or next.

Last edited:

wyosam

WKR
Loaded a bunch of 190 HHT Hammers for my 338-284. Thought I was done with load development for this one, but then Hammer came out with exactly what I wanted. Shoots great right at 2800. I didn’t find the top end. No signs of pressure here, but it’s at my goal and has more than enough to do what I need with this rifle.

bf95806252c34a4f03d01491881cd0f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Not today...but last night.

I was given a bunch of reloading stuff a while ago from an associates deceased relative.

I'm slowing going thru the toys to see if they work and if they will become part of my gear or passed along.

Last night I pulled out the Hornady Lock N Load Powder Dispenser:

I was trying to pound out the rest of a box of 130gr TMK's for whitetail doe culling.

This was my experience:
- slow as shite
- every throw was OVER, which leads to beeping and alarm clearing and dumping back
- switched to manual mode, slow rate, it still threw over. I switched it to 42.2 which threw around 43.2 and I could trickle up to 43.5

What a horrible waste of time.

I'll try a flake powder and see if it works OK but the only flake powders I load are Unique and AA 2520 so I may try that but it will probably go by the wayside after that given I like my MEC powder drop.

My point: Does anyone get good work out of this device?