What Detergent for DWR??

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I got a bunch of my stuff real dirty on this last hunt and it seems like any time I wash something that has a DWR coating it is never quite the same afterward. What do you all use to wash your stuff and retain some of the water-resistance?

gelton

WKR
Nikwax Softshell proof for soft materials, Nikwax Tech Wash for Raingear...not a fan of their leather treatments but the luandry products do a great job.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Also you can retreat the stuff. I have a bottle of reviex I've been meaning to try out on some gear after seeing good reviews but haven't gotten to it yet.

Personally all my gear just gets washed in borax/baking soda for better or worse.

gelton

WKR
Also you can retreat the stuff. I have a bottle of reviex I've been meaning to try out on some gear after seeing good reviews but haven't gotten to it yet.

Personally all my gear just gets washed in borax/baking soda for better or worse.

Yup good point Revivex works well and Nikwax has a DWR spray as well that works good.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Nikwax Softshell Proof or Tech Wash depending on the item both work really well in my experience.

Daniel_M

WKR
Depends on what the garment manufacturer states. I typically follow their specific recommendations using Nikwax TechWash followed by Nikwax TX direct, either the wash-in or by hand. Some say air dry, some say tumble dry low.

This is the only product I've used with soft shells, rain-gear and waders..

Here..

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
After washing I like to soak my stuff in the nikwax dwr treatment mixed with water in a bucket, let it dry, then spray it down with the nikwax dwr spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the ink wax stuff. I have noticed a slight elmers glue smell after using it.

Regardless of the wash I typically line dry Dwr treated garments then put them in the dryer on medium heat for 10-20 minutes. Supposedly it helps reacvtovate the dwr. Seems to,work.

I dry mine on high heat because I read somewhere that the heat will "set" the DWR better. I usually just use Atsko Sport wash for most washings but if I feel an item needs a DWR boost I will use Nikwax softshell proof and sometimes the spray as well then dry in the dryer high heat.

When I tried nixwax I felt like it just left my stuff literally waxy. I like to just use the atsko sport was as well. I did try spraying my guide jacket with revivex and it seemed to be better than the nixwax but didn't last long. Im not expert I just tried those few products and didnt think much of them.

OP
D

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the inputs guys. Seems like nikwax is the most popular so I just ordered some of that to give a try.