Rain pant experiment

I've got a well used pair of kuiu Kutana rain pants I'm thinking to experiment with. The idea is to coat the entire thing with a pvc product like what is on the ankle cuff.

Since day one (and all my subsequent attempts at nikwax dwr treatments) my kuiu kutana pants/jacket have always soaked into the fabric. At their best they lasted 10min in light mist before I see the droplets stop beading off and start absorbing into the fabric. I've since given up on constantly dwr treating them since I wear them so much, and just use them as windbreakers/dry snow outer layers.

Not a knock on kuiu, I love their gear but breathable rain gear in general has never worked for me. I don't like going in the woods worrying about a little bit of dirt causing a fragile dwr layer to fail and spending more time in the laundry room than staying dry. Not to mention the soak fest that comes with even a day in Alaska cruising through wet brush, mud and slushy snow in any breathable rain gear.

For real wet I usually just throw the rubber stuff on (I have had good luck with grundens Neptune series and helly Hansen's impertech) and will continue to use their jacket however the pants don't have full length zips that I like in the kutana, and I'd like the first 6-8" or so on the inside of the pant leg to be rubberized to prevent water creeping up the leg from underneath and eventually getting wetness above gaiters or rubber boots. The kutana material also seems to be thinner which I am hoping will retain less water in the fabric on the inside from sweat, and dry out easier in the field than my current grundens.

So if anyone knows of a rubberized product similar to what kuiu uses on the cuff/ on the knees in the yukon model I think I could turn it into the rain pant I'm looking for. Or any other off the wall ideas! It's an experiment with an old pair so I'm not scared of ruining them.