What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

Like I said......user error. Poor shot placement, poor reloading, etc ain't the bullet's fault.
They both died & were quite tasty.

That 7mm shoots 150’s exceptionally well so it seems pointless to force 160’s just to use accubond when TTSX 150’s are available.

It must be quite a gift to make every rifle shoot every weight bullet well.

I’ve never heard of that being possible but you must be the reloading whisperer.

They both died & were quite tasty.

That 7mm shoots 150’s exceptionally well so it seems pointless to force 160’s just to use accubond when TTSX 150’s are available.

It must be quite a gift to make every rifle shoot every weight bullet well.

I’ve never heard of that being possible but you must be the reloading whisperer.
It has nothing at all to do with "every rifle, every bullet..." It has to do with your failed attempt to load and use 7mm 160 AB's. If they both died, and were quite tasty, why did you say in your OP that the bullet "failed"? Your words, not mine.

It has nothing at all to do with "every rifle, every bullet..." It has to do with your failed attempt to load and use 7mm 160 AB's. If they both died, and were quite tasty, why did you say in your OP that the bullet "failed"? Your words, not mine.
They worked fine on a 75 yard neck shot on an elk - any bullet would. I got an extra 150 yard tracking job on a deer 2 shots back of the lungs. Inferior zip through without expansion- less than ideal - but still dead. Group well over an inch with 160’s & no 150 option is certainly a failure for me & that rifle. Glad they are great for you but I won’t dump my TTSX bullets that shoot well kill fast & leave 2 holes.

In my admittedly limited experience I've seen a lot more cluster fks from people shooting big/magnum cartridges than those shooting smaller cartridges.

Additionally I find it interesting how many people have rifles that shoot 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards all day long. Wonder how many rounds are in those groups? :unsure:

In my admittedly limited experience I've seen a lot more cluster fks from people shooting big/magnum cartridges than those shooting smaller cartridges.

Additionally I find it interesting how many people have rifles that shoot 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards all day long. Wonder how many rounds are in those groups? :unsure:
Typically 3, cherry picked. Of all the claims of "sub half MOA" magnums, and tuned loads from ladder testing, OCW, seating depth, etc., not one will provide a 10 shot group, or show me it's repeatable at the range. It's comical.

Typically 3, cherry picked. Of all the claims of "sub half MOA" magnums, and tuned loads from ladder testing, OCW, seating depth, etc., not one will provide a 10 shot group, or show me it's repeatable at the range. It's comical.
Well yeah!! "Its a hunting rifle and they never shoot more than 1 or 2 when hunting"!! 🙄🙃...but they always hit their critter...

Wonder how many rounds are in those groups? :unsure:
I see this in myself. My groups tend to gain size as I move from 22lr, to 308 Win to 300 Mag.

Three rounds that they count in a group. But they shoot four and dismiss the ‘flier’ as the ‘clean, cold bore’ shot.

Last edited:
Everyone's do. Or they lie to themselves, their friends, and strangers. And really should see someone about that bad habit.
The trick is to know how to account for it. I made an M-Lok mount for a car battery and have it hooked up to my trigger so that when the firing pin is released it completes an electrical circuit and shocks me. This causes me to tense up and contort myself in such a way that it counteracts my flinch from the recoil.

The trick is to know how to account for it. I made an M-Lok mount for a car battery and have it hooked up to my trigger so that when the firing pin is released it completes an electrical circuit and shocks me. This causes me to tense up and contort myself in such a way that it counteracts my flinch from the recoil.
Genius.

But swap the M-Lok for ARCA and your groups will shrink by 50%.

This is the way. The only way. The Jedi way.

Only 3 shots from a Ruger model 77 made in 1976 7mmRM 150 grain TTSX deer season front bag only check zero group. I’ve owned the rifle 46 years this is only the 4th time zero check produced a group you could cover with a dime. Yes it is a hunting rifle wearing its 6th scope Zeiss V4 4-16x 50. I believe the most rounds At animals in a year was 7 - 2 elk deer & boar ranges from 75 - 525 yards. The 100 yard 3 shot check is pictured. Long range check is typically 4-10 shots 400-800 yards at steel. I’ve got a 225 yard range at home & 500 yard rock but this rifle is a known quantity & doesn’t get shot much.

I think it’s it’s global warming. And animals hides are getting thinner to dissipate the heat better, there for not needing magnum class firearms. In other wards, they are getting “softer “ as are we. No need to torture ourselves, shooting them boomers. Lol. Really , I find it just an excuse to buy new guns. Get tired of the same old thing. And manufactures know that, and keep trying to convince us also. And it works, just look.

IMO, many new hunters are bedazzled by photos of bloodshot goo. The so-called "evidence" is simply the aftermath of making a hole in an animal while the heart continues to pump.

Experienced hunters are not mesmerized by phases like "turned to mush" because they know it is (a) mostly congealed blood and (b) happens with any expanding bullet in any caliber.

If somebody is struggling with recoil, it is almost always because they are lacking in fundamentals and round count.

Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: MJW
If somebody is struggling with recoil, it is almost always because they are lacking in fundamentals and round count.
Small cartridge proponents agree with you on this. The best way to correct fundamentals and get more rounds down range without making bad habits worse, is with small cartridges. The fact that they can also kill effectively is just a bonus.

Small cartridge proponents agree with you on this. The best way to correct fundamentals and get more rounds down range without making bad habits worse, is with small cartridges. The fact that they can also kill effectively is just a bonus.
Agreed, and couple that with the fact that everyone on the planet shoots lighter recoiling cartridges better than heavier ones.

IMO, many new hunters are bedazzled by photos of bloodshot goo. The so-called "evidence" is simply the aftermath of making a hole in an animal while the heart continues to pump.

Experienced hunters are not mesmerized by phases like "turned to mush" because they know it is (a) mostly congealed blood and (b) happens with any expanding bullet in any caliber.

I agree with the first part, lots of guys in the small caliber kill threads ooh and ahhh over very moderate wounds just because there’s a lot of bloodshot in it. Not saying there aren’t really impressive autopsy photos as well, just saying there’s a positive correlation between bloodshot photos and reactions to that post.

I personally Disagree on the second point though, even guys who don’t struggle with recoil can still develop a flinch shooting larger calibers, I think it’s important to break up large caliber shooting sessions with lighter recoiling options

Back