What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

wyosam

WKR
I agree with the first part, lots of guys in the small caliber kill threads ooh and ahhh over very moderate wounds just because there’s a lot of bloodshot in it. Not saying there aren’t really impressive autopsy photos as well, just saying there’s a positive correlation between bloodshot photos and reactions to that post.

I personally Disagree on the second point though, even guys who don’t struggle with recoil can still develop a flinch shooting larger calibers, I think it’s important to break up large caliber shooting sessions with lighter recoiling options

Mixed shooting helps- I find 22lr is great for this- focusing on watching the bullet in flight helps my form a lot. Occasion dummy rounds help a lot too. For people that reload (and shoot “larger” cartridges), low velocity cast bullet loads are great low recoil practice as well, and are perfect for positional practice with the rifle you hunt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
even guys who don’t struggle with recoil can still develop a flinch shooting larger calibers, I think it’s important to break up large caliber shooting sessions with lighter recoiling options
After about 10 rounds of 7 PRC I've noticed this - I can get a little punchy on the trigger. The more I pay attention to it the more I notice my shooting drop off as I get the round count higher on a magnum when at the range.

dla

WKR
How is he wrong?
When you learn to shoot, recoil becomes a very minor part of making the shot. If you don't shoot enough to have "learned to shoot", then anticipation of recoil can mess up your shot.

So learn to shoot.

Look, I shoot my Marlin Guide Gun (48lbs/ft free recoil) as accurately as I do my AR15 - I'm no superman. IMO, there is no substitute for actually shooting - just can't make up for it with furniture, optics, or cartridge.

When you learn to shoot, recoil becomes a very minor part of making the shot. If you don't shoot enough to have "learned to shoot", then anticipation of recoil can mess up your shot.

So learn to shoot.

Look, I shoot my Marlin Guide Gun (48lbs/ft free recoil) as accurately as I do my AR15 - I'm no superman. IMO, there is no substitute for actually shooting - just can't make up for it with furniture, optics, or cartridge.
Sounds like you should get your expenses paid for to attend the shoot2hunt school to show all these guys shooting pea shooters how to shoot a magnum. 🎥

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

So learn to shoot.

@Ryan Avery @Formidilosus can @dla get a paid trip to be filmed shooting a 30 round group from a 338 magnum of some variety just as well as he shoots a 223 from a similar rifle platform? I think all of use could learn from it.

Shot sequence should be 15 rounds from the 223, 30 from the magnum, then 15 more from the 223.

Edit: Of course if he does not shoot them the same, both time and accuracy, then he pays for his own trip.

ElPollo

WKR
If somebody is struggling with recoil, it is almost always because they are lacking in fundamentals and round count.

Just my opinion of course.
Do you own a 300 win mag/30/06 and a bolt gun in 223 or similar? If so, let’s see you demonstrate that. Five 10 round round groups each from a minimum of 100 yards, in field conditions, not off a bench. Post pics and group measurements with an average for each.

So learn to shoot.

Umm…

I didn't learn how to shoot, I was taught. And I was taught by someone who knew how to shoot, as well as how to teach. There’s a difference.

And I shoot a fair bit. Okay, maybe more than a fair bit, but less than some I know, so I don’t want to overstate. And I’ve been shooting a long time. Okay, maybe even a loooong time, if you ask my boy.

Anticipation of recoil can still mess up my shot, especially if I’m shooting a larger cartridge. I’m a much better shot with my .223 than with my 7mm Rem Mag, and better still with my .17 HMR.

But that’s just me.

P

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I love how everyone thinks this is something new. Read the book about Frank Glaser's career. I don't recall the title. He discusses the preference for a 220 swift with 50 something grain bullets for killing everything except big bears. For those he liked 140-160 grain bullets in 30/06. He states to the writer that he was well off for the times, renting a room 365 days/year in a large city motel to be sure all the rooms weren't booked when he was in town, and buying every new gun and hunting toy he wanted when they came out. He had the means and the experience to use whatever he wanted. Look at what he preferred.

Many have gone against the grain and pushed high velocity frangible bullets at game for a long time. It went against the main stream, so we just did it and shut our mouths. Form has decided to push in an effort to help everyone be more successful. He also has a ton of supporting evidence. For myself, the evidence was not monumental, it was anecdotal. I just kept doing what was working. I learned a long time ago not to bring it up and start an argument.

The thing that has really opened my eyes is the scope testing. I have had a ton of issues with bad scopes over time. I'm pretty excited to sell some old cars and some hunting/shooting stuff I'm not using to buy some scopes that will take abuse.

So learn to shoot.

Can you post a 30 round group for each rifle you mentioned? I just want to see something.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
@Ryan Avery @Formidilosus can @dla get a paid trip to be filmed shooting a 30 round group from a 338 magnum of some variety just as well as he shoots a 223 from a similar rifle platform? I think all of use could learn from it.

Shot sequence should be 15 rounds from the 223, 30 from the magnum, then 15 more from the 223.

Edit: Of course if he does not shoot them the same, both time and accuracy, then he pays for his own trip.
Forgot to add, if he indeed dose it, I can contribute $400 to the travel expenses cost.

So learn to shoot.

Recoil anticipation is only part of the equation.

Recoil is happening before a bullet exits a barrel and magnifies inconsistencies in how how it is managed. So unless one is absolutely perfect in form and consistency, more recoil is going to result in lesser results all else being the same.

I can get prone or sit at a bench behind a magnum and shoot some bugholes. When you get into compromising field positions or shoot a group after breaking from position and rebuilding it with every shot, recoil will amplify weaknesses.

Last edited: