What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

Bugger

FNG
While I would say you are right 99.9% of the time. There are bullets that dont give reliable expansion and sometimes expand very little and / or very late or just completely act like FMJ. I cant remember which ones but I know I have asked about a bunch of bullets and been told that on some of them. Please forgive me I save memory space for the ones that DO work and why / how they work.
Failsafes and original Barnes were pretty notorious for that. Velocity was blamed, but a lower velocity wouldn’t have magically reversed the failure rate of a bad bullet design. Who knows, maybe a bunch of them did expand and people were just surprised to see how far an animal could run with a small hole in the lungs.

wyosam

WKR
Yes, that 0.061” is the difference that makes the deer bleed while the other is small enough that the skin simply plugs up and doesn’t allow the blood out.

Or it’s more likely the golfball to baseball sized exit hole from the larger bullets that leaves the larger blood trail makes tracking easier vs a single .22 cal hole on one side.

I also have the issues with fragmenting monos puncturing the heart leaving poor blood trails even with a solid double lung shot. If the blood can’t pump it simply drains into the chest cavity and if the entrance is high then the animal typically dies before leaving any kind of blood trail.

I missed by .0306 once. Never again. Now I shoot .338, which gives me .057” of breathing room. That allows me to get pretty lazy on my wind calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
Yes, that 0.061” is the difference that makes the deer bleed while the other is small enough that the skin simply plugs up and doesn’t allow the blood out.

Or it’s more likely the golfball to baseball sized exit hole from the larger bullets that leaves the larger blood trail makes tracking easier vs a single .22 cal hole on one side.

I also have the issues with fragmenting monos puncturing the heart leaving poor blood trails even with a solid double lung shot. If the blood can’t pump it simply drains into the chest cavity and if the entrance is high then the animal typically dies before leaving any kind of blood trail.
Bruh you don’t know what you’re talking about lol

CMP70306

WKR
Bruh you don’t know what you’re talking about lol

Actually I do, and you will see it if you read my previous posts. Long story short a guy we hunt with shoots a 22-250 with 52gr Hollow points, it kills deer but has no exit and leaves no blood to follow. This can make them difficult to locate especially on drives where the deer are far less likely to drop on the initial shot. That means if it gets out of sight in the woods we have no good way to track it and have lost several deer because of it.

The rest of us hunt with larger cartridges, .25-06, 6.5 PRC, .270, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag among others. These cartridges do better for driving because even with poor shot angles they still exit, usually with a much larger hole, leaving a much better blood trail to follow.

With fragmenting monos I’ve had several deer that when tracking I thought I made a poor shot due to little to no blood only to find that it was a solid double lung shot but one of the petals pierced the heart leading to a caliber size entry and exit with a chest cavity completely filled with blood. The buck in one of my posts was the perfect example, tons of damage but almost no blood on the ground, I simply walked out the ridge where he ran and found him as I couldn’t locate any blood to track.

I missed by .0306 once. Never again. Now I shoot .338, which gives me .057” of breathing room. That allows me to get pretty lazy on my wind calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record the first part is a joke. The diameter is much less relevant than the weight and construction, I’d have the same complaints if he was getting the same results with a 110gr V-Max out of a .300 Win Mag.

If he was shooting heavy for caliber bullets like the vaunted 77gr TMK or he never shot on drives then it would be less of an issue. But we kill a lot of deer on drives and he’s shooting a 14 twist so it is what it is.

Based on my experience it wouldn’t be my first choice of cartridge and bullet, not when so many better options exist.

tony

WKR
I have not read the entire thread or the .223 thread all the way as well.
.223 and the 6mm Creedmoor are mentioned as effective on large game.

What about the 6mm ARC and 6.5 Grendel?

The Guide

WKR
Actually I do, and you will see it if you read my previous posts. Long story short a guy we hunt with shoots a 22-250 with 52gr Hollow points, it kills deer but has no exit and leaves no blood to follow. This can make them difficult to locate especially on drives where the deer are far less likely to drop on the initial shot. That means if it gets out of sight in the woods we have no good way to track it and have lost several deer because of it.

The rest of us hunt with larger cartridges, .25-06, 6.5 PRC, .270, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag among others. These cartridges do better for driving because even with poor shot angles they still exit, usually with a much larger hole, leaving a much better blood trail to follow.

With fragmenting monos I’ve had several deer that when tracking I thought I made a poor shot due to little to no blood only to find that it was a solid double lung shot but one of the petals pierced the heart leading to a caliber size entry and exit with a chest cavity completely filled with blood. The buck in one of my posts was the perfect example, tons of damage but almost no blood on the ground, I simply walked out the ridge where he ran and found him as I couldn’t locate any blood to track.

For the record the first part is a joke. The diameter is much less relevant than the weight and construction, I’d have the same complaints if he was getting the same results with a 110gr V-Max out of a .300 Win Mag.

If he was shooting heavy for caliber bullets like the vaunted 77gr TMK or he never shot on drives then it would be less of an issue. But we kill a lot of deer on drives and he’s shooting a 14 twist so it is what it is.

Based on my experience it wouldn’t be my first choice of cartridge and bullet, not when so many better options exist.
That 60g TMK might be the jam for his slow twist 22-250. Not sure if he handloads of would be willing to change.

Jay

The Guide

WKR
I have not read the entire thread or the .223 thread all the way as well.
.223 and the 6mm Creedmoor are mentioned as effective on large game.

What about the 6mm ARC and 6.5 Grendel?
For me with the bullets I've optimized for each of those calibers I have effective velocity for bullet upset and fragmentation of 1800 fps to the following distances.

223 Sierra 77tmk 1800 fps @ 480 yards
6 ARC Hornady 103 ELDX 1800 fps @ 510 yards
6.5 G Hornady 123 ELDM 1800 fps @ 450 yards
6 Creedmoor 105 Berger 1800 fps @ 720 yards

I've listed them on my opinion of the perceived recoil of the round. The first 3 rifles are Howa Mini Actions and the 4th is a Ruger American Predator. These are sub $600 rifles that could kill any North American big game animal. Any of those rounds could be optimized for further than most people can accurately shoot or distances further than they have opportunities to shoot to. Pretty good time to be a shooter and hunter with the advances in bullets and powders in the last 30 years.

Jay

Dave0317

WKR
@CMP70306
A big factor in weight of bullet vs rifling twist is bullet length. So if you are trying to find a heavier bullet that will stabilize well in a slow twist, look for shorter designs. A flat base instead of a boat tail and a rounder soft point instead of a long narrow ELD style tip.

BC won’t be good, but inside of 300 yards, I bet you won’t see a difference.

Not sure how heavy this could get your buddy, but it might be worth loading up a few rounds to try. Maybe the Speer Hot Cor or similar.

CMP70306

WKR
That 60g TMK might be the jam for his slow twist 22-250. Not sure if he handloads of would be willing to change.

Jay

@CMP70306
A big factor in weight of bullet vs rifling twist is bullet length. So if you are trying to find a heavier bullet that will stabilize well in a slow twist, look for shorter designs. A flat base instead of a boat tail and a rounder soft point instead of a long narrow ELD style tip.

BC won’t be good, but inside of 300 yards, I bet you won’t see a difference.

Not sure how heavy this could get your buddy, but it might be worth loading up a few rounds to try. Maybe the Speer Hot Cor or similar.

I was going to do the load work up for his rifle but I only see him during hunting season and over one summer he had a guy load a couple hundred of them for him. He doesn’t practice by shooting paper, he just shoots pests throughout the year to confirm his zero or an occasional shot on a 350 yard gong. With how little he shoots they will probably last him the rest of his life.