What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

wyosam

WKR
I don't think people need to abandon methods that work. Probably would be better to look at small caliber as an alternative that people didn't think existed.

Yep, I don’t think of it as a can’t teach an old dog tricks thing. For me it’s an old dog has a rifle he loves, shoots very well, and has enough components to feed it it’s preferred diet for the rest of my hunting days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yep, I don’t think of it as a can’t teach an old dog tricks thing. For me it’s an old dog has a rifle he loves, shoots very well, and has enough components to feed it it’s preferred diet for the rest of my hunting days.

That’s where I’m at. I’ll never move on from 30-06 but I could see getting out of the 300wmmand 375 game.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In the book “the American rifle” there’s a chapter about how the USA wanted to switch to the .276 after ww1, the m1 grand was almost a .276. Tests showed that the hit percentage was higher and soldiers shot it better.

However, there was so much leftover 30-06 ammo that it didn’t make sense financially to scrap the 06 for the .276 pederson. Therefore the 30-06 just sort of became the American cartridge.

Thank Douglas McArthur for the 30 caliber obsession in the USA.

Jimbee

WKR
In Iowa, the only bottleneck cartridges we can use for deer have to be .35 or larger. I believe they thought this would limit people to shorter range shots. But it's dumb. What if I build a 375 cheytac or something? Totally legal. Whoever makes these laws sucks at life.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
You can use a 223 for the January antlerless season.

wyosam

WKR
If you miss the red or blue dots high, what is the name of that long bladed bone shields the vitals from front to back?

If you miss the red or blue dots high, what is the name of that long bladed bone shields the vitals from front to back?

1, that hold is too far back for my taste.

2. The scapula is not a bone that will stop much of anything, and it’s not in the way of the heart, unless you’re pretty high above the animal. If you’re shooting at the heart, the humorous can get in the way, though it would likely take a little more angle than in the picture to be a problem. I’ve not seen a 77mk fail there, but I’ve seen larger ELDMs and x es fail to get in from that angle.

In Iowa, the only bottleneck cartridges we can use for deer have to be .35 or larger. I believe they thought this would limit people to shorter range shots. But it's dumb. What if I build a 375 cheytac or something? Totally legal. Whoever makes these laws sucks at life.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
100!!!

Guys can chase yotes with trucks and shoot any cartridge they want, but we gotta use slugs, pistols, rifles shooting pistol bullets, muzzleloader, or canons for whitetails in IA. Makes zero sense.

I shot my first buck with my .35 Whelen and 200 TTSX last year. Double lung at 75 yards and had petals break off and shank exit sideways. Devastating exit, but he still ran around 50-60 yards. Certainly wasn’t the “lightning bolt” I was hoping for.

In contrast, my cheap carbon express crossbow with a 422 grain Piledriver bolt and 125 grain NAP Spitfire knocked a 175 pound buck over tonight and broke its spine at 44 yards. Never moved a yard either direction.

Attachments

• IMG_5443.jpeg
    IMG_5443.jpeg
    623.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
Man those massive 5lb bear revolvers are terrible. I used to tote around a 44mag, im
Much happier with my 10mm now. Less weight, almost 3x the rounds available, easier to shoot.
I agree. Thought I’d get real smart and go light, got a very light 44mag. Oh my, not for me, nearly removed my thumb when I shot it. Got a Glock 20 that I shoot very well or if not around mean bears, S&W Shield in 40.

Is part of the new issue of felt recoil not due to chasing lighter weight rifles? If we were still shooting 9-11 lb rifles something in 308 or 30-06 would not cause as much flinching. Also properly built rifles, that are built to the shooter would help also. Modern day that is where the stocks with adjustment come in, but then you pay the penalty of weight.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
100!!!

Guys can chase yotes with trucks and shoot any cartridge they want, but we gotta use slugs, pistols, rifles shooting pistol bullets, muzzleloader, or canons for whitetails in IA. Makes zero sense.

I shot my first buck with my .35 Whelen and 200 TTSX last year. Double lung at 75 yards and had petals break off and shank exit sideways. Devastating exit, but he still ran around 50-60 yards. Certainly wasn’t the “lightning bolt” I was hoping for.

In contrast, my cheap carbon express crossbow with a 422 grain Piledriver bolt and 125 grain NAP Spitfire knocked a 175 pound buck over tonight and broke its spine at 44 yards. Never moved a yard either direction.
To be fair, the crossbow didn’t “knock over” the deer. You may have shit it’s light out instantly but if your bow had the power to knock over a deer it would have knocked you over when you shot it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I agree. Thought I’d get real smart and go light, got a very light 44mag. Oh my, not for me, nearly removed my thumb when I shot it. Got a Glock 20 that I shoot very well or if not around mean bears, S&W Shield in 40.
You probably had one of those air weight smith and Wesson 329s…that’s a hard nope. Pass the gen5 Glock 20.

Many folks never left the small calibers.

Old timer I know in south Appalachia has killed more black bears than we can count with a 22 mag.

I used to hunt with a fella with a crop damage permit that whacked many hundreds of deer with 17 HMR headshots.

The 22 WMR, 22-250, 243, and 25-06 are all staples in most parts of the country where they don’t carry kestrels and $3k binoculars. Yea the BC sucks but ask a rancher if he even knows that that means.

I drink the koolaid too so not judging, just saying.

To be fair, the crossbow didn’t “knock over” the deer. You may have shit it’s light out instantly but if your bow had the power to knock over a deer it would have knocked you over when you shot it.
Please pardon my exaggeration. :rolleyes:

The point being, a 320 fps (slow) crossbow with a 547 bolt/broadhead killed more dramatically at 44 yards than a .35 Whelen thumper at less than double the yardage.

EDIT: impact velocity on last year’s buck was over 2600 fps with more than 3,000ft lbs of energy for the lurking fuds that still believe energy is equivalent to killing power.

Last edited: