What caliber do you like for predator/ varmint hunting?

What caliber do you like for predators/ varmints

Votes: 31 10.7%

Votes: 167 57.4%
  • .243/6mm

Votes: 82 28.2%

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • .264/6.5mm

Votes: 26 8.9%

Votes: 28 9.6%

• Total voters
.224 cal I guess but specifically .223. 50 or 55grain pill never had an issue out to 400. Never had a need to shoot past that anyways (not that I haven't).

However, for 300 yards and in and in areas where I more than likely will run across a fox I'm really liking my 17 Hornet with 20gr bullets. Of course I probably won't be shooting any fox as I have enough pelts tanned at the house now and they aren't worth selling.
WCB

I have a CZ527 Varmint in 17 Hornet. Less than 200 rounds, fully bed from tang to lug, Warne rings, spare mag, very nice + a bunch of ammo to go with it. Can mount a new 10x Super Sniper and ship it all dialed-in.

Pls let me know if any of your buddies might be interested.

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Actually too close/thick for my taste. I'm a Hillbilly from N.Alabama
stuck in the swamps of S. Bama. Also, the state lands I hunt restrict us
to rimfire/shotgun.
On a side note, had 2 packs of yotes howling at each other last night within
2-300 yards of the house. (no night hunting here either).
No night hunting! That really sucks when all you can use anyway is shotgun and rimfire and all those dogs sitting there howling at you

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
You guys running shot gun, any of you run a benelli nova? I picked one up to use for dogs and cats at night and haven't really focused much on the ammo, I have a partial box of dead coyote and some buck I forget what size, but what are you guys running

Lawnboi

WKR
Was running some 64grain tgk bullets this last weekend at 3440fps and they are very explosive. Head shots, neck shots and others were opening up like crazy.

Will be playing with them a bit as well as just ordered some 60 grain tmk's. I really like the 69 tmk so very interested to see how the 60 does.

Any luck with the 60 tmk? I have a bunch because I liked the price and BC for a lighter bullet than the 77 tmk. Thinking the 60 would be better for me around home if they preform. After 4 deer with the 77 I’d assume they would turn a coyote inside out.

Can’t argue with 16 cents a bullet for something that has a .323 BC. Worse case I burn them up on the range

Last edited:
OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Any luck with the 60 tmk? I have a bunch because I liked the price and BC for a lighter bullet than the 77 tmk. Thinking the 60 would be better for me around home if they preform. After 4 deer with the 77 I’d assume they would turn a coyote inside out.

Can’t argue with 16 cents a bullet for something that has a .323 BC. Worse case I burn them up on the range
I just got them today, loaded up a pressure string as well as 3 sets of 3 to check some oal, will get out one day very soon

Grbrrr

FNG
WCB

I have a CZ527 Varmint in 17 Hornet. Less than 200 rounds, fully bed from tang to lug, Warne rings, spare mag, very nice + a bunch of ammo to go with it. Can mount a new 10x Super Sniper and ship it all dialed-in.

Pls let me know if any of your buddies might be interested.
How much are you looking to get for this?

I prefer my .220 Swift AI. 4,100 FPS with the 53’s. Stiller Predator, Bartlein HV, Triggertech, Manners. Also the fire forming makes the case shape much more easy on the eyes over the original Swift IMO. No taper

Attachments

• 9C324F7A-36B3-4368-B90B-ED43E1527370.jpeg
    9C324F7A-36B3-4368-B90B-ED43E1527370.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: B23

B23

WKR
I prefer my .220 Swift AI. 4,100 FPS with the 53’s. Stiller Predator, Bartlein HV, Triggertech, Manners. Also the fire forming makes the case shape much more easy on the eyes over the original Swift IMO. No taper
Ha! Funny you say that because the 220 Swift, Rem 6mm, and 22 Hornet are three cases I can not look at without thinking, damn, those things are just begging to be Ackley improved. The Swift and Rem 6mm mostly because they have so much case taper and you get a pretty significant boost in case capacity when you "improve" them and the 22 Hornet not so much because it increases the case capacity but because the standard 22 Hornet is just one seriously fugly case design, now that one hurts the eyes.

One of the few varmint cartridges I don't have but I've always had a fondness for Swifts.

Nice looking piece!

Grew up using my dad's 22-250 with 55gr core loks for everything i hunted on the farm besides squirrels. In WV you can even use it for turkeys. Killed my first 10 deer with that combination. My older brother always carried dads 243 with some version of factory 90-100 gr soft point ammunition. The 243 was definitely easier to make hits on groundhogs over 300 on windy days. Now that we are grown up my brother has started using the .243 wssm which is finicky bit when dialed in its impressive. I'm shooting a 22-250 with 52 gr bergers. Both will put coyotes down efficiently.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
You guys running shot gun, any of you run a benelli nova? I picked one up to use for dogs and cats at night and haven't really focused much on the ammo, I have a partial box of dead coyote and some buck I forget what size, but what are you guys running
I have Novas in 20 & 12, they're my "boat-guns" ie, they can take a dunk in the mud & I don't have to worry about them. I usually run #4 buck for critter control, however the last yote I got with a shotgun was my Franchi Affinity 20 ga. with TSS turkey loads. It's hell on coons coming into turkey calls too! :)

coon11-23-2.jpg

My general purpose low volume shooting coyote/crow/ groundhog /varminter/calling rig is a Tikka T3X in .22-250 (1:14). 20 years ago when I shot high volume prairie dogs, I ran .223s & .22 Hornets.

Lately my yard pest/coon rig is an old Savage .22 Mag.
coon19-6.jpg