What caliber do you like for predator/ varmint hunting?

What caliber do you like for predators/ varmints

Votes: 31 10.7%

Votes: 167 57.4%
  • .243/6mm

Votes: 82 28.2%

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • .264/6.5mm

Votes: 26 8.9%

Votes: 28 9.6%

• Total voters
Favorite is a 12ga over a callbox and a decoy, but that's not always feasible. So, beyond that I gotta put in another vote for 22-250. Shoots flat and kills yotes like lightning struck them.

TheGDog

WKR
Question for the guys more savvy about longer range shots. Does camo painting over your barrel affect accuracy appreciably?

TheGDog

WKR
Is this a serious question or are you looking for which Camo is best for which caliber?
Serious Question. I figure It'd affect heats ability to dissipate to some degree. So wondered if mild warpage could occur if taking several shots, like on grounds squirrels or P-Dogs. Which theoretically could affect trajectory at distance.

Serious Question. I figure It'd affect heats ability to dissipate to some degree. So wondered if mild warpage could occur if taking several shots, like on grounds squirrels or P-Dogs. Which theoretically could affect trajectory at distance.
Aha, so to answer your question, Cerakoting does little to change the heat characteristics. That is why you would want a either a heavy barrel or a carbon wrapped barrel. A regular hunting barrel will change the point of impact and the groups will grow as the barrel heats up.

It is not warpage, but the harmonics of the barrel that change. If you have more questions, just let me know. Sorry for the confusion on my end.

TheGDog

WKR
Aha, so to answer your question, Cerakoting does little to change the heat characteristics. That is why you would want a either a heavy barrel or a carbon wrapped barrel. A regular hunting barrel will change the point of impact and the groups will grow as the barrel heats up.

It is not warpage, but the harmonics of the barrel that change. If you have more questions, just let me know. Sorry for the confusion on my end.
Thank you sir.

Venatic

FNG
The 60 TMK works great in my Tikka but only shot some pigs. Super accurate though.
I use .224 75 gr VLD On predators .... 22 Creedmoor runs them 3300 fron 21 inch barrel.
I have used all the calibers listed and maybe a dozen not listed over last 20 years for predators.
I guess since I shot one barrel out on coyotes the .224 Creedmoor would be my current fave.

mcseal2

WKR
I voted 6mm and 22 cal.

I do most of my calling with an AR in 223. It's honestly more because I like the rifle than because I like 223, I prefer a little more speed. It's a tackdriver with 55gr V max reman ammo by RAM, and with 73gr ELDM Superformance loads. I wasn't overly impressed with the killing power on anything but broadside or head on shots with the 55gr V max load (only 2964fps). I like the 73gr ELDM (2750fps) better from my 20" AR. It exits, but puts yotes down faster.

My rifle is a DPMS Prairie Panther. It is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired with ammo it likes, ragged holes at 100 yards are common and a 1/2" group means I wasn't perfect. It has had the barrel lapped and an aftermarket trigger installed due to some early accuracy issues but has been great for years since. I'm planning to add a 45 degree mount and a small red dot now that night hunting is allowed. Not sure how much I'll use it but I think it will be handy to have at times.

I have a custom 243 by Flint Hills Gun Works that I really like for more open country. It is a Ruger M77 action, Pac Nor 23" barrel, Timney 2lb trigger, and McMillian Gamescout stock with a custom Kryptek pattern cerakote. It seems to shoot anything well, but I'm currently running Hornady Superformance ammo with a 58gr V max at 3823fps. I really like it for a truck gun too, no worry about range inside 300, just hold center and shoot.

Both rifles have Huskemaw scopes with yardage turrets if I need to dial for long shots. The AR has a 3-12x, the 243 a 4-16x.

I have a custom 204 I really like also. It's also a Ruger M77 with a 23" Pac Nor, Timney, and Boyds laminate thumbhole stock. I prefer the Hornady 45gr ammo in it. I had to many splash hits on shoulders or at close range with the 40gr V max Superformance or standard ammo. The 45gr is moving 3425fps and it often makes a tiny exit. I'll take that rather than a lost critter or giant entrance. It does not handle the wind as well as the other rifles so it gets used less. Calling where cats might show though I take it fairly often. It is a pleasure to shoot, like a 22 mag with an extra 300 yards of reach.

Past that I have a shotgun and 16" AR with a 1-4x Trijicon we sometimes use in tight spots. Generally though I like the reach of the other rifles. The reticle on the Trijicon covers most of a coyote's vitals at 200 yards and makes hits iffy. It's quick in closer though.

Sogan

FNG
.223 for me. Just for the simple fact that factory options are available anywhere. Some days I don’t feel like reloading.

Bolt gun or AR?
Bolt guns. I do carry an AR in 223 when we are calling river bottoms, as it's usually close and fast shooting. Also always a chance for a bobcat in there, so I like the idea of the 223 vs 22-250 at that point.

NateS

FNG
6 creed ruger precision for daytime coyotes 108gr ELDMs to buck the ND wind
243 AR-10 with Nvision Halo LR for night 58-75vmax or 66 gr homemade hollowpoints

WyoChris

FNG
204 Ruger has been my go to for a while. 17s seemed to lack some energy for longer shots and the 204 is still pretty good at saving fur with the 32 gr noslers.