What Binoculars Do You Like for Big Game?

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
What's up y'all? Just a quick question. I'm just wondering what binoculars y'all may like for glassing up big game at distance. Currently I have some Athlon 10x42's. I've been in the woods trying to get on some elk, & I notice with these that I can glass up an elk at distance no problem. Where I have a problem is being able to determine if it's a legal bull, by judging the horns at distance with the binos I have. I stopped carrying my spotter because of the weight with the tripod so just curious abour better binos. Just wondering what y'all may like for big game hunts. I don't want something real heavy, just something that works well. Thanks and hope you killed one this archery season.

Anything more than 10x needs to be on a tripod in my opinion. What distance are we talking?

I have Zeiss Victory 10x56 rangefinder binos in my chest harness, swarovski sts 20-60×65 spotter and my RRS tripod strapped to my pack. I deal with the weight.

Distance = Vortex 10x42
Still hunting and stalking - my grandfathers 1940's era 7x35s...nostalgia and mostly because I want him on the hunt with me. (was lucky enough to inherit those binos and they still work - so his spirit comes along with me for the hunt).

From my experience at distance with good “chest binos” you can only get a general idea of soze. And maybe soo some of the longer tines. But your not going to see that 3x3 is actually a 3x4. If your trying to make a rag horn legal you probably need a spotter or a seperate pair of 15-18x binos but chest binos probably wont do that for you at distance

Edit: distnace to me is 1,000+ yards and im only refering to a border line legal or not legal bull. A big one looks big a lot further through just binos

Last edited:
I love my Leica DuoVids 8+12x42. I put them on a monopod with the outdoorsman stud and haven’t had any issues. It is a light and compact set up for me. I

Baller

FNG
Swaro guy here. 10x42 on my chest and either 15x56 or the BTX if the country is vast. All on a tripod when applicable.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Anything more than 10x needs to be on a tripod in my opinion. What distance are we talking?

I have Zeiss Victory 10x56 rangefinder binos in my chest harness, swarovski sts 20-60×65 spotter and my RRS tripod strapped to my pack. I deal with the weight.
Like 200 - 4/500 yards maybe . Enough to look over the mountains.
I have an old set of 10x50 that get the most use.
are you able to pick out antlers at distance to judge a legal animal with your 10x50’s?

10 power binoculars are all 10 power. In my opinion where the 10x50’s work best over the 10x42’s is in the early morning and late evening. They can gather more light to help you see.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
What are your guys opinions on 12 x 50 binoculars for western big game ? I was doing a little bit of research

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Damn I ask too many questions 😹 significant difference between 10x42 & 10x50 then ??

I found this…

10x42 or 10x50, Which is the Best?​

As with just about any binocular configuration, there is no single best option, rather which one is best for your specific requirements and preferences:

10x42 is best for daytime use in normal to good light conditions and you gain the benefits of a lower costing and fractionally smaller instrument.

10x50 is best if as well as during the day, you also sometimes use your binoculars in low light and want an image brightness that is similar to that of an 8x42, but also the added image detail that a 10x power gives you and are willing to pay a little more as well as add a few grams and millimeters to the instrument.

With all optics whether they are binos or spotters you need to be able to hold them steady. Instability leads to blurry image and makes it difficult to judge animals at varying distances. That said quality 10x binos you should be able to count points on an elk at 200-500 yards. As I said in my earlier post that anything above 10x should be on a tripod otherwise you are wasting your time.

My binos are 10x56. They are big and heavy but I wouldn't change them for nothing. When you put them on a tripod it is a game changer.