What bino system do you like?

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Well I waffled back and forth on buying new binos for most of the summer. I sold my spotter but just couldn't decide on what to do until.....

I won an all expenses paid muzzleloader mule deer hunt in New Mexico next month. I ordered a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42, figuring this was the right excuse to get them past the high command (read wife). Now I need to get something to carry slash protect them on this, and future, hunting adventures.

So what have you guys tried? What do you like and, maybe most important, what didn't work for you? Thanks, Rick

ScottP

WKR
there was a thread on this just a few weeks ago, might be some good info there. I have the FHF bino harness and like it. switched from the elastic harness, so big time upgrade. Its comfortable with a pack on and easy to use.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the S4 Lockdown X. I have them on swarovski el 10x42's. They control the binocs really well and are comfy to wear even under my pack.

Lawnboi

WKR
I prefer the FHF. I have use the S4 lockdown, Sitka, badlands, and an assortment of the cheap elastic straps. FHF has no bounce and protects my binos adequately.

No experience with the kuiu but id look at that one as well.

If you decide on the FHF you may want to check and see what he has in stock and if not what the wait time is on them.

OP
Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for jogging my memory on the FHF gear; I remember looking at his stuff last spring. I sent him an email. Any others out there?

Initially I didn't care for the FhF system that I got before the season, but since I've been using it in the field, it's a keeper!

I really like the KUIU. From what I understand it is a bit lower profile than the FHF although I have never tried FHF. The KUIU is almost more of a cover its barely bigger than your binos. Works great they have a few youtube videos you could watch on it.

I have used and currently own....
a half dozen of the "crooked horn" or similar elastic ones
Badlands, big, heavy, awkward, magnets are loud
S4 (older model) good idea, but the thing slid down and hung off my neck. Never ever felt right.
Sitka, OK but the zippers are terrible, and without them your binos weigh enough to open the crappy magnets and fall out, plus snow falls right in and melts and makes a mess.
FHF
Kuiu

I can say without hesitation that the Kuiu and the FHF are in a class of their own against the others. I LOVE the FHF, I used it last year and it worked well. I left it on my truck and drove down the highway and lost it, so I decided to give the Kuiu a try. I went with the large, and it is too small for my Victory HT 10X42 and they are backordered till November on the XL (in KUIU translation... I will get the XL around may of 2014 hahahaha.)

I did have a chance to use the KUIU a lot with my older monarchs that are smaller, and I honestly think that if I had the correct size, I may choose them over FHF. That said, the only "categories" they win over the FHF are that they are a much more streamlined design, and I like the way the lid folds in front and stays out of the way.

I got used to only having the strap in the bottom of the pouch.... But still like the 4 strap system on the FHF pouch better. I think that FHF pouch is more "shock resistant" and possibly more durable. They also have slits on the side so dirt can get in from the sides, but I don't think much will get in there.

Essentially, if I could get an FHF gear pouch, that was a little more streamlined, and was as "pretty" as the KUIU system, I would never try another system. As it is, I am using the FHF this year, and will hopefully get a chance to try out the KUIU better when the proper size arrives.

Joe

SDHNTR

WKR
I've used a ton of them. Currently on the FHF. Nice for a riflehunter, no so much for a bowhunter, IMO. It is well designed and durable, fuctional, but LOUD! Man that fabric is noisy! When brushed against with clothing or equipment or when pulling the binos out or putting back in, it makes a lot of noise with that stiff, coarse fabric. Not much of an issue in most cases, but if real close or when sitting in a stand, no thanks. I was coues deer hunting in a blind last week and had to take the thing off and just rest the binos in my lap. I was afraid to use it or draw my bow with it on. I'd gladly sacrifice a little durability for some quieter fabric.

OP
Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. I decided to go with FHF. I emailed Paul a few times with questions. Very helpful.

SDHNTR

WKR
I emailed Paul about the noise of the fabric. He got back to me with honesty. He said, obviously, that it was made for western hunting, not really for sitting in a stand. I see his point but us western bow hunters probably do sit in stands a fair amount if you hunt multiple species. He offered to take it back for a refund, but also suggested I just try running the harness through the washer. I'll surely try that. He also said he may be able to custom make one out of some different fabric if I was patient. I appreciated the response and the refund offer but I think I'll keep it. Even given the noise trade off, it's the most functional system I've used.