What bino system do you like?

2ski

WKR
I got a crooked horn a few years ago when I started looking for a pair of good binos(that's how I found Rokslide), and liked it a lot. Then I bought a pair of Badlands because I wanted to protect my good binos from dust and what not, and I put my "truck" binos(a pair of 16x Alpens) on the crooked horn. I loved the Badlands...until I was in the local archery shop a few weeks ago and tried on the FHF. I'm going to sell my Bandlands and grab a FHF. Plus he's a local guy here in the valley. Win/win. The archery shop has FHF pepper spray holders w/ the spray can in them for about 60 bones too....and it's in Highlander. Pepper spray never looked so sweet.

SDHNTR

WKR
Paul had options with materials before. He may very well be able to make you one in a fleece material. I'd imagine that would be about the quietest.

My situation was really odd. It was so quiet that day and all the deer that came in seemed really uneasy about something. I did have 2 deer bust because of the noise the harness made while wearing the KUIU vest. It was enough for me to hunt the remainder of the time without the vest. It doesn't make near the noise with different materials.

The only other time I noticed it being loud was while in Saskatchewan, and the cold made the lid sound a bit crunchy. Like I said before tho, I use the lid while getting to and from stand. The remainder of the time my binos are out and the lid is tucked inside the pouch.

Right, I tuck the lid too, but even after doin that, it still makes noise sliding the binos in and out of the pouch.

Has anyone used the Alaskan Guide Creations bino pack. I have been using it for about 3 years and love it. I thought about trying some of the new Kuiu or FHF stuff, but I don't think they offer my $2500 the protection that the AGC pack does. I have heard people say that if your on a dusty road or its raining or snowing the FHF will let dirt and moisture get on your lenses. Kind of defeats the purpose of having them if they're dirty or wet. You should check them out if you get a second.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone used the Alaskan Guide Creations bino pack. I have been using it for about 3 years and love it. I thought about trying some of the new Kuiu or FHF stuff, but I don't think they offer my $2500 the protection that the AGC pack does. I have heard people say that if your on a dusty road or its raining or snowing the FHF will let dirt and moisture get on your lenses. Kind of defeats the purpose of having them if they're dirty or wet. You should check them out if you get a second.

Luke and I have been using an Alaska Guide Creations bino pouch for the last several years, and really like them. Keeps my Victory 8x32's well protected but still easily accessible on my chest, and i have enough room in the side and front zippered pockets to securely carry my tags/license, havalon, rangefinder, Chapstick, extra rounds and even a small snack. I really like that the binos themselves are not attached to anything, so they don't get tangled up in stuff while I am glassing, but I can quickly drop them back into the pouch and close the buckle if I want to start moving again. Also nice to have the essentials on my body, so if I drop my pack for the final stalk I have everything I need to start butchering while Luke goes back for the packs...

IMGP0407-C.jpg

IMGP0553.jpg

4BAF8652-EE9E-4497-9BE9-F2ABCBEB2D6F-9677-00000558767578BB_zps13639416.jpg

Not quite as light as some other options but for the amount of space and protection it offers, I will take the couple of extra ounces...

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I am surprised how little love the Badlands bino case receives. I've used mine with 42 mm binos the last 4 years and really like it. I just bought another one made by Badlands for Cabelas that is slightly smaller for a pair of 8 x 32 mm binos. The most common complaint I read about is the "loud" snap of the magnetic closure. I eliminate this by closing the case slowly or with a finger tip in the opening to prevent a fast snap. I like the harness and case. Quiet fabric, very water resistant, good padding.

kaboku68

WKR
Sitka Gear Bino Bivy. Best piece of gear that Sitka makes. You can put it on and off without a fuss and its lighter and more designed than others.
Retail price on it is spendy, but I would ask those to compare it to the others. It is also too small for anything over 10X42mm roof. But for those that fit
it is the berries.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Sitka Gear Bino Bivy. Best piece of gear that Sitka makes. You can put it on and off without a fuss and its lighter and more designed than others.
Retail price on it is spendy, but I would ask those to compare it to the others. It is also too small for anything over 10X42mm roof. But for those that fit
it is the berries.

Sincerely,
Thomas

I used it two years ago.... and was not a big fan of it at all. It looks great, and the theory is great... but I had issues with it

1) with the big elastic piece in it is very hard to get the binos in and out
2) The lid does not have strong enough magnets to keep the binos from spilling out when crawling
3) the lid does not close tight enough on the top to keep rain and snow out

overall, I liked the way they looked and I liked that the lid folded out of the way for quick access... but other than that the FHF gear and kuiu are heads and tails better in my opinion.

I still think that once I get the correct sized kuiu.... I may finally be done with my search.

Joe

Last edited:

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Question on the KUIU, anyone used it with 30mm sized glass???

I like my FHF but man it can be loud in the silent woods

Don't know if this answers your question, but I have 10x42 EL's and they fit fine in the L size. Just got them and I will know more in a couple weeks how well I like them. Don't take up a lot of room and have a lot of options on use setup. Will find out how quiet they are on an archery elk hunt starting in a week. I would think 30's would fit in just fine, but someone else may have more experience.

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the minority here, but I've pretty much given up looking for a "bino system". The neoprene strap that my Leicas came with is all I use.

I have ran the FHF and the KUIU with my viper hd 10x42's and I would have to give my vote to the KUIU harness. Mainily beacuase its more comfortable, quiet, and easier to get binos in and out.

Becca or jarhead:
What material is the AGC bino pack?
Either of you shoot a bow? String interference ?

They have a few different types of material. The solid OD green pack is a waterproof rip stop type material that is pretty loud. The camo ones are almost a soft felt type material. I like the material a lot and its quiet and sheds water very well. I have zero issues with drawing and shooting a bow with it. The one issue that I had with the pack is they don't have anything to secure your binos with. So you either put a strap around your neck or just have them in the pack with nothing attached. I made my own straps out of my old cabelas bino harness. I just sewed the old straps onto the front of the AGC pouch. Now I can take my binos out and let them hang if I don't want to put them away right then.

AGC.jpg

Question on the KUIU, anyone used it with 30mm sized glass???

I like my FHF but man it can be loud in the silent woods

my large works great with my wife's 10X42 monarchs. It is too small for my 10X42 Victory HT's. you can look up the dimensions of the monarchs and compare them to the glass you run to get an idea. I would guess that the 30mm would work awesome with the large. I really want to run the KUIU because it works awesome with the smaller monarchs, it is just too hard to get them in and out of the size large. I ordered the XL a month ago... eta of "end of November" which in KUIU language means "sometime next spring" I will keep you posted

Joe

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
I believe a lot changes when you wear your harness and shoot a bow. A lower profile isn't as important with a gun or just hiking. Start to draw a string across your body and the lower profile harnesses get a lot better. I like the idea of carrying essentials in a larger bino harness, but I like shooting my bow unobstructed even better. Granted, I haven't used the FHF, but I'm very content with my Kuiu harness for the above reasons.

I believe a lot changes when you wear your harness and shoot a bow. A lower profile isn't as important with a gun or just hiking. Start to draw a string across your body and the lower profile harnesses get a lot better. I like the idea of carrying essentials in a larger bino harness, but I like shooting my bow unobstructed even better. Granted, I haven't used the FHF, but I'm very content with my Kuiu harness for the above reasons.

Unless you are shooting a very long recurve/longbow I don't think the fhf gear would ever even come close to obstructing the shot. 90% of bows have a 34inch or less ata now so the cahnces of a modern compound hitting them is slim to none. I have shot my Hoyt contender elite with xt3000 limbs (41 ish ata) with no problems hitting the fhf gear harness at all.

Joe