What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not get it, some people want to remove New York from the recovery stats because they are a major source of deaths/ cases and have "flattened" the curve. Then on the other hand, they did not want to remove them from the initial counts when NY was WAAAAY ahead of the US and required by far the most resources. Which is it? Are they factored into the stats or not?

Laramie

WKR
I do not get it, some people want to remove New York from the recovery stats because they are a major source of deaths/ cases and have "flattened" the curve. Then on the other hand, they did not want to remove them from the initial counts when NY was WAAAAY ahead of the US and required by far the most resources. Which is it? Are they factored into the stats or not?
Count it if you want. The reality is New York is not typical of the rest of the country in many ways. The population density, the life styles, the transportation, etc. I believe it makes sense to remove those stats to see what is really happening with the virus in North America. Doesn't mean we don't care or don't like them, just means that population isn't like most others we all live in.

MattB

WKR
Count it if you want. The reality is New York is not typical of the rest of the country in many ways. The population density, the life styles, the transportation, etc. I believe it makes sense to remove those stats to see what is really happening with the virus in North America. Doesn't mean we don't care or don't like them, just means that population isn't like most others we all live in.

Not to mention the chronology. Their situation was dramatically worse than the rest of the US early but they are on the back side of it now. It doesn't matter if you include or exclude NY if you follow the more recent view of looking at local rather than national stats. The folly is looking at national stats (which include NY) and using that data as being predictive of current, local situations elsewhere - or anywhere for that matter - in the US.

Many want to point to us having flattened the curve, when in reality the current national curve is a combination of the NY curve (which represents ~25% of US cases) and those cases from the rest of the country, and on balance the rest of the country has not flattened.

Not to mention the chronology. Their situation was dramatically worse than the rest of the US early but they are on the back side of it now. It doesn't matter if you include or exclude NY if you follow the more recent view of looking at local rather than national stats. The folly is looking at national stats (which include NY) and using that data as being predictive of current, local situations elsewhere - or anywhere for that matter - in the US.

Many want to point to us having flattened the curve, when in reality the current national curve is a combination of the NY curve (which represents ~25% of US cases) and those cases from the rest of the country, and on balance the rest of the country has not flattened.

But I thought flattening the curve was for not burdening the healthcare system. Maybe I’m mistaken. I’m telling you it’s not burdened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR

The curve in my state in the middle of the country is flat and now falling. There are hot spots... I live in one... But the state as a whole is dropping and our hospital capacity is wide open.

MattB

WKR
But I thought flattening the curve was for not burdening the healthcare system. Maybe I’m mistaken. I’m telling you it’s not burdened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Implicit in that is the notion that everywhere in the US was impacted equally at the same time which is very clearly not the case. Some parts of the country have only more recently seen significant impacts of the disease, and some of those are concurrently easing restrictions designed to limit the spread of COVID.

How much do you think NY flattening the curve did for MN which had almost 700 new cases reported yesterday (6% of MN's total)? By way of comparison, NY reported new cases yesterday which represented 0.43% of its total.

I see a trend...
fad23e7d9b881050b5ed63f911d3c3aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Implicit in that is the notion that everywhere in the US was impacted equally at the same time which is very clearly not the case. Some parts of the country have only more recently seen significant impacts of the disease, and some of those are concurrently easing restrictions designed to limit the spread of COVID.

How much do you think NY flattening the curve did for MN which had almost 700 new cases reported yesterday (6% of MN's total)? By way of comparison, NY reported new cases yesterday which represented 0.43% of its total.
Those restrictions were designed to prevent health systems from being overloaded. Most government officials realize that the restrictions were to severe. We aren't coming close to full capacity in our hospitals. Makes complete sense to open. Make no mistake, most of the country/world will get this virus. Some will not make it but the vast majority of our society will be just fine....

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
1589378429090.png
33 of our 36 counties are trying to open up this Friday. We should know by tomorrow if any of them have been denied. I am sure a few will be and will push to a few weeks out. We have a lot of counties with 0 to a few cases. Their submissions were a few pages long. Then you look at one like Marion's and it is 62 pages long haha

Laramie

WKR
Fever is gone. Mild sore throat is still there and still feel tired but definitely improving. I have no intentions of getting tested unless it becomes necessary. I'm still taking it easy as the doctor says some people improve and then get worse during week 2. I'm on day 7 of symptoms.
Feel even better today. I feel almost normal. Doctor says after 3 days of no fever and feeling good, I will be able to resume normal activities. Either I got lucky and had a mild case or it was something else? In any event, I'm ready to get back to normal.

jmez

WKR
If you look at the graph of MN their daily peak was 5 days ago. If they follow like others than they are on the backside. They will have a few daily spikes of more cases but should stay on the downward trend.

Also look at Illinois. A lot of new cases. They are at less than half of their hospital and ICU capacity. Even in the Chicago hosptals and area. Illinois testing numbers have also increased quite bit over the last week. While case and death numbers are rising , hosptialized patients are dropping.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
All of the media outlets will report to support an agenda. Right leaning sites will want NY left in the stats, left leaning will want them excluded. No different than a month ago when right leaning sites were saying this is a NY problem and left leaning sites were saying NY is coming to your hometown soon.

Want an over all view look at the country numbers. That doesn't tell you a whole lot other than total cases and deaths. You can't even look at the states totals. You have to break it down by population centers within the state. That is where the problem is and will remain. Population density is the number one factor with any contagious disease. Look at a map of Illinois, Chicago and St. Louis metro areas are the majority of cases. Minneosta, it is the twin cities. South Dakota, it is Sioux Falls. Nebraska, it is Omaha.

Rural and smaller population centers are not and will not have the numbers and issues that large population centers will. Restrictions in Fergus Falls do not need to be the same as Minneapolis.

From the beginning we should not have been focusing on Nationwide numbers. We shouldn't be now, nor should we be focusing on states. Plans should be made at the local level.

Are you saying the rest of the country will experience what NY did?

It seems to me those that want to insist opening up is a mistake are getting confused. They are pointing out death rates, new case rates, etc.... as if it’s happening in the present. When I asked about 7 pages back if that was the case. Only one answer said the tallies were lagging.

I read early on that was the case. And, have watched people here get all lathered you with a “told you so attitude”, as talks of restrictions easing up has began. For Pete’s sakes, it started a week and a half ago when common sense got a hold of most. And hasn’t let up yet.

if I’m not mistaken, wouldn’t these numbers we see today, been created by infection counts and hospitalizations 10-14 days ago? Not to mention the differences in which states get the information of new cases and mortality reported.

It just seems odd to me that people are still trying to convince others how this is going to kill us all.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
They really don't respect us at all. (3rd from left)

Attachments

• EX5kebaWoAE64gK.jpg
    EX5kebaWoAE64gK.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 54

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
Alabama went from 5 cases two month ago today to 3,876 a month ago today and 10,564 as of today with 445 deaths during that period. The death rate above the 5 year average is slightly higher, but not enough to prove a statistical deviation. There have been 135,691 tested. This state is about as spread out as possible for the region.

That's roughly 120 new people get it a day. About 9% of those they test have it, 12% of those with it are hospitalized, and roughly 4% die. There is no sign of it slowing down as of now, which is expected with a population pushing five million. This is an extremely unhealthy state though, but not much different than the rest of SEC country.

Things are mostly opened back up from a business standpoint. I went out to dinner last night for the first time since all this started.

I'm not sure what else there is to do. I think we just all have to face our grandparents, parents, or those close to us who chose the carb life might go a little quicker than we planned. It's not a super high chance, but it's certainly more of a chance than life as we knew it before that. Growing old or willingly being obese was always a huge danger to begin with. The only frightening thing is the studies that show young people having what could be respiratory and cardiovascular damage from the virus.

I just don't see what else the nation's leaders can do. Even when they asked people to stay inside and distance the Billy Badasses completely screwed that up anyways. Time to let the chips fall.

jmez

WKR
The thing that most people are failing to grasp is that unless Covid does not become well host adapted to people then it is never going away, period. Even with a vaccine and herd immunity it will continue to infect people and continue to kill people, forever.

The restrictions and lock downs were never intended to get rid of the virus. They were never intended to decrease the number of infections. They were to protect the healthcare system. A month ago all you heard all day was overwhelming the system and lack of PPE. That happened for a very short time in places in NYC and places in Detroit. Maybe New Orleans, but not much was reported on that nationally. If we have adequate PPE, we do, and the healthcare systems aren't being overwhelmed then you can ease restrictions.

But but but, cases and deaths will rise if we do that. Uh, yeah, they will. As long as people aren't out dying in the streets, they aren't and haven't, then you live with it.

It's here, it's not overwhelming the country. You live with it. It's a risk, you decide your tolerance for that risk. Don't dicatate/control others to try to lessen, your risk. That said, nothing we are doing lessens your risk of getting the virus.

ODB

WKR
Seeing another similar thing now where I live. We haven't had many cases at all and now 16 in a week. News reported today that they are all a small family group of Native Americans in Rapid city. All related.

where I live almost have the pts in the Covid unit are Hispanic and have been for a month. But they only make up 3.5% of the population here.Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.