What are you eating on your hunts this year?

With hunting season upon us, I was curious to hear what other Roksliders plan on eating this year. I have several hunts planned and am looking to try some healthier food options this go around. So far I have:

- Peak Refuel - bought a bulk box of meals (~9 or so) for 20% off earlier this year
- Honey Stingers / Justin's PB
- Hydration supplements - picked up some Warrior Fuel Ellevate, Pedialyte Powder and Nuun Tablets
- Dehydrated fruits - mangoes (with some light tahin seasoning), apples, banana's

So what are you guys planning on eating? Maybe we can share some good bulk food deals as they come up.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
DIY Dehydrated meals mostly, couple variations of homemade "cookies" (natural ingredients, low sugar, high protein/fat), homemade jerky, dehydrated fruit (easy to do), breakfast blends (oatmeal based with tons of other goodies.). I make a lot of my own food, I feel it helps me perform over time but do bring some store bought food as well.

archp625

WKR
I wouldn't call this healthy but it gets me to where I need to be on that cals and weight.

MealItemWeightCals
BreakfastProbar3.1400
Black Rifle Coffee0.10
SnackHoney Stinger1.2150
HC Packaroon1.1120
Lunch6" Flour Tortillas2.2180
Justins Peanut butter packets2.4420
4 Pieces of precooked bacon
Snickers2.1250
SnackMonster Trail Mix4560
Almond Butter Biscuits1.4190
Total Weight (lbs)
DinnerMountain House Meals5.146025.27Total Weight (oz)
Reese Peanut butter Cups1.6
3080TOTAL Cals

Kinda long but just got my stuff organized so if it gives anyone ideas or calorie comparisons I figured it’d be worth pasting over here. 3-3.5K calories per day.

Breakfast 🍳
-Mountain house
Breakfast skillet 520cal 3.7oz(3)
Spicy breakfast hash 500cal(1)
Granola with blueberries 520cal 4oz-(1)
Biscuits and gravy 560cal 4.4oz(1)
-Peak refuel
Mountain Berry Granola 570cal 5oz(2)
Strawberry Granola 530cal 4.6oz(1)

Dinner 🥘
-Mountain House
Mexican rice 570cal 4.6oz(1)
Lasagna 440cal 3.6oz(1)
Chili Mac with Beef 570cal 4.6(2)
-Peak Refuel
Chicken pesto 920cal 5.71oz(2)
Beef pasta 1040cal 6.35oz(3)

Snacks🍭
-Snickers 215cal 1.56oz
-Poptarts
Strawberry 370cal 3.38oz
Cinnamon 400cal 3.38oz
-Peanut butter single cups 250cal 1.5oz
-Rold Gold Pretzel Rods 110cal per 3 rods
-Oberto beef jerky 130cal per 1oz
5oz per bag
-Black Forest gummy bears 400cal per 4oz pack
-Peanuts 290cal 1.75oz
-Sqwincher Zero
-Coffee

I made breakfast and dinner for everyday I’m living in a tent. Rice meat vegetables for dinner, egg burrito or bacon and waffles for breakfast. Put em on a cookie sheet, froze them, vac seal then I drop in boiling water when I’m hungry. Bring fruit, lunch meat trail mix etc for lunch. It’s a lot of work in the off-season but time saver during the hunt

I expect some grilled steaks, pork chops, brats and burgers. Probably throw in some chicken breasts. We usually have a pretty good spread, as we are not living out of a backpack.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I made 3 differnt types of homemade bars last year and plan to do so again this year. I think it averaged around 130 cal/oz with a decent amount of protein and fat. Cut larger bars for breakfast and smaller ones for snacks.
Belvitas with peanut butter or almond butter will also be in my pack for a snack.
Usually do a mountain house for supper but might experiment with homemade meals this year.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
Dehydrated mashed potatoes with added oyster mushrooms, a tuna packet, and some spices. Beef stroganoff and other pastas that fit in my dehydrator.

Dried mango and prunes from costco. Several flavors of Lara bars, trail mix, pop tarts (very high in calories), jerky, and some green belly bars

Bighorse

WKR
Coffee and Multigrain and fruit/nut hot cereal for Breakfast. This is slow food for me, I like to wake early and cook a breakfast and game plan. Rushing out of the tent isn't my style but waking up early and having my kit and belly prepared is. I'll hydrate and just over all prepare for a long day hiking/hunting. I expect a 8 hr effort or more.

Nut butters, dried meats, nutrition bars and chocolate for trail food ( I don't call it lunch because I keep eating small quantities all day)

Nuun Electrolyte tabs in my water source

Dinner, Peak Refuel and whatev I might add to meet Caloric demand (mid day foods not consumed might get added in)

One trick I've used successfully is to eat crazy heavy the night before packing a heavy meat load. It helps me feel refueled and ready to grind.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been following the ketogenic diet for nearly 3 years, not to be trendy, but to ward off Type-2 diabetes. Lost a bunch of weight 2.5 years ago and kept it off on a diet of less than 25 net carbs per day, including a DIY deer and antelope hunt in WY last year. The trick is that hunt was mostly based from a vehicle with a several mile hunt in on numerous occasions so I wasn’t carrying all my food on my back for days at a time.

This season I’m doing some more elaborate elk hunts in the Bighorn Mountains and will need some dedicated backpacking meals. I found a company selling keto-specific backpacking meals which seems novel however a bit gimmicky. May end up eating almonds and butter fat bombs for a few days straight but I found last year that food was only a vehicle to “getting full” and I didn’t care what I ate after a multi-mile pack-out through canyons in the dark with an arrival back in camp at 11:30PM!

Traveler

WKR
Steak or paella in camp. During day, one apple and one cliff bar. 4qt water at evening, 1qt in pack.

Fullfan

WKR
Well, taking a pork loin. Several hole chickens and a turkey. Will cook them in the inferred cooker. Several big pans of lausgana. 4-5 meat loafs for sandwiches. Prob will take homemade Mac and cheese. Plus some fresh elk loin. Oh ya don’t forget the breakfast, eggs bacon and pancakes.. almost forgot bought two entire ribeye’s. Have to cut them about 1.5” Only 5 of us going this year. We eat well as us all.

Yarak

WKR
Unfortunately i wont be making my annual trip out west for 2nd year now due to my FIL's health
Last year was my MIL's health and she Passed and its looking like my FIL is leaving us soon
Usually the menu at elk camp is too broad to list everything
Breakfast consists of
Conecuh County sausage or wild hog sausage
Home made biscuits
Sawmill gravy
Eggs Over medium or scrambled
Grits
Bacon
Black Rifle coffee
I always cook breakfast