What Ammunitioin for my 2024 Alaska Moose Hunt

Need some help on deciding what ammunition would be best for my moose hunt based on the list below. I know shot placement is key. I'm from Michigan and can't use a rifle where we deer hunt so I don't use my rifle very often and 7mm Rem Mag. ammo is hard to find. Here is a list of a few I've been able to find and am considering:

-BARNES BULLETS VOR-TX BRASS 7MM REM MAG 150-GRAIN

-HORNADY PRECISION HUNTER 7MM REM MAG 162-GRAIN

-REMINGTON PREMIER SCIROCCO BONDED BRASS 150-grain​

-WINCHESTER EXPEDITION BIG GAME LONG RANGE BRASS 7MM REM MAG 168 GR ACCUBOND​

Thanks!

hiker270

WKR
The Accubond assuming your rifle shoots it accurately. Some 7mm Mags can be finicky about heavier bullets.

MThuntr

WKR
While I have no experience with the 168 Accubond, It is one from the long range line of accubonds. I've heard they just don't do perform like the standard accubonds and are finicky. Someone with experience with that specific bullet can expand on that.

Otherwise, I think whichever shoots best is the one I'd use. There is a lot of 7Mag ammo available online and see the Federal Terminal Ascent ammo is available. I like how it shot in a friend's rifle. The bullet is similar to the Accubond/Interbond and seems to be a touch faster that similarly loaded ammo.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I would personally go with an all copper bullet. You avoid the lead contamination issue, and the performance of copper bullets on moose is excellent in my experience with .270 and .300 Weatherby Mag.
20230926_141426.jpg
I don't shoot a 7mm, but I would imagine a copper round in 130-150gr sizes should be effective for moose.

manitou1

WKR
Need some help on deciding what ammunition would be best for my moose hunt based on the list below. I know shot placement is key. I'm from Michigan and can't use a rifle where we deer hunt so I don't use my rifle very often and 7mm Rem Mag. ammo is hard to find. Here is a list of a few I've been able to find and am considering:

-BARNES BULLETS VOR-TX BRASS 7MM REM MAG 150-GRAIN

-HORNADY PRECISION HUNTER 7MM REM MAG 162-GRAIN

-REMINGTON PREMIER SCIROCCO BONDED BRASS 150-grain​

-WINCHESTER EXPEDITION BIG GAME LONG RANGE BRASS 7MM REM MAG 168 GR ACCUBOND​

Thanks!
Accubond all the way brother.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I would personally go with an all copper bullet. You avoid the lead contamination issue, and the performance of copper bullets on moose is excellent in my experience with .270 and .300 Weatherby Mag.
View attachment 642144
I don't shoot a 7mm, but I would imagine a copper round in 130-150gr sizes should be effective for moose.

This would be my line of thought as well. Barnes factory 160gr TSX? Any of those would do the job.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the caveat with the copper monos is that there are a lot of accounts of poor performance (little or no expansion) at 2000fps and lower. So if you go with one of those you might be range limited a little bit because you'd really want 2200. Maybe lead would be better in this application depending on ranges.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the caveat with the copper monos is that there are a lot of accounts of poor performance (little or no expansion) at 2000fps and lower. So if you go with one of those you might be range limited a little bit because you'd really want 2200. Maybe lead would be better in this application depending on ranges.
Frankly, I've had excellent performance with copper bullets on moose from 10-227 yards. Would I shoot one farther, out to maybe 400-450 yards if I absolutely had to? Yes, but really, moose aren't hard to get close to.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Frankly, I've had excellent performance with copper bullets on moose from 10-227 yards. Would I shoot one farther, out to maybe 400-450 yards if I absolutely had to? Yes, but really, moose aren't hard to get close to.
Sure, no arguments with that. Just saying that it might not be the right combination of cartridge and bullet at 400+.

OP
L
Thanks for all the input greatly appreciated. Think I'm going to grab a box of the accubonds and see how they shoot out of my gun.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I read nothing but good things on accubonds so I switched to 160s out of my 7mm. Killed my elk this past fall with them. Hard quartering away, went in in front of the hind quarter and up through the vitals and opposite front shoulder and was up against the skin. They shoot great too. I’m heading up for moose next fall as well and will be using them

Attachments

• IMG_3359.jpeg
    IMG_3359.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 22
FWIW, I am one who has witnessed poor performance on moose with an all copper (barnes) in a 280ia. 2 penciled at about 35 yards, one shoulder and one through the ribs. Had the same issue with the same round at 300 yards on a black bear shoulder shot. We did recover both animals but I'm kind of off on coppers now and stick with partitions and accubonds.