What a great day for me and i would expect others!

Look it wasn't an apples to apples comparison but you get the point I'm trying to make. You may not agree with me but you know what I'm trying to get at.

And I know what you're saying about the community organizer thing. But I am not advocating for one. I'm saying that I think there have to be better qualified people. Can we agree that the appearance of this looks like what every other politician does? Giving a position like this to one of the first big name politicians to jump on board the trump campaign? Isn't that kind of the thing that Trump should be against?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You're correct, it does appear on the outside as cronyism. If it weren't for Ben Carson's history, I'd call it cronyism.

Gr8bawana

WKR
I couldn't agree more.

Stephen KingVerified account
‏@StephenKing

Follow
More
Welcome to the age of plunder, bluster, and empty rhetoric. In other words, to the Age of Dumb. If you voted for him, you're responsible.

Off his non-profit website:

Benjamin S. Carson, Sr., M.D., had a childhood dream of becoming a physician. Growing up in a single parent home with dire poverty, poor grades, a horrible temper, and low self-esteem appeared to preclude the realization of that dream until his mother, with only a third-grade education, challenged her sons to strive for excellence. Young Ben persevered and today is an emeritus professor of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery, and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and he has directed pediatric neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center for over 29 years. He became the inaugural recipient of a professorship dedicated in his name in May 2008. He is now the Emeritus Benjamin S. Carson, Sr., M.D. and Dr. Evelyn Spiro, R.N. Professor of Pediatric Neurosurgery, having retired on June 30, 2013.
Some career highlights include the first separation of craniopagus (Siamese) twins joined at the back of the head in 1987, the first completely successful separation of type-2 vertical craniopagus twins in 1997 in South Africa, and the first successful placement of an intrauterine shunt for a hydrocephalic twin. Although he has been involved in many newsworthy operations, he feels that every case is noteworthy – deserving of maximum attention. He is interested in all aspects of pediatric neurosurgery and has a special interest in trigeminal neuralgia (severe facial pain) in adults.
Dr. Carson holds more than 60 honorary doctorate degrees. He is a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, the Horatio Alger Society of Distinguished Americans, and many other prestigious organizations. He has sat on the board of directors of numerous organizations, including Kellogg Company, Costco Wholesale Corporation, the Academy of Achievement, and is an Emeritus Fellow of the Yale Corporation, the governing body of Yale University. He was appointed in 2004 by President George W. Bush to serve on the President’s Council on Bioethics. He is a highly regarded motivational speaker who has addressed various audiences from school systems and civic groups to corporations and the President’s National Prayer Breakfast.
In 2001, Dr. Carson was named by CNN and TIME Magazine as one of the nation’s 20 foremost physicians and scientists. That same year, he was selected by the Library of Congress as one of 89 “Living Legends” on the occasion of its 200th anniversary. He is also the recipient of the 2006 Spingarn Medal which is the highest honor bestowed by the NAACP. In February 2008, Dr. Carson was presented with the Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal by President George W. Bush at the White House. In June 2008, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by the President, which is the highest civilian honor in the land. He has literally received hundreds of other awards during his distinguished career.
In June 2013, after 40 years of medical endeavors, Carson retired and today serves as Professor Emeritus of Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University.
His first four books, Gifted Hands, THINK BIG, The Big Picture and Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose and Live with Acceptable Risk (January 2008), provide inspiration and insight for leading a successful life. A fifth book, America The Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great, was released in early 2012 and made the New York Times Bestseller List in 2013. His sixth book, One Nation: What We Can All Do To Save America’s Future was released on May 20, 2014 and has also made the New York Times Bestseller List. His seventh book, One Vote: Make Your Voice Heard was released September 22, 2014. His eighth book, You Have a Brain: A Teen’s Guide to T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G., which encourages young people to aim high, was recently released on February 4, 2015. His ninth book, A More Perfect Union, was released on October 5, 2015.
Dr. Ben and Candy Carson’s dream is to name a Carson Scholar in every school within the United States.

something tells me he'll do just fine with HUD

measurably worse? tough to say.... he did almost cause me to shutdown operations because employement costs got to high with the terms of his "affordable health care". I do have a pile of newer vehicles I didn't need though in lieu of employees because it was cheaper to buy those than health insurance and get the tax write off.

5.00$ gas was easier than the AHCA
I agree the ACA was more of a handout to insurance companies. Should have been single payer to begin with. We are the only industrialized country on earth that doesn't guarantee health care as a right. I've always been covered through work so it didn't affect me. My brother and family have been on Obamacare and it has been good for them. What does concern me is you have 30 million + fellow Americans who will lose coverage and the Congress has nothing to replace it with.

Hall256

WKR
Also that fact that Ben Carson was not even close to one of the "big names' to jump on the Trump train. Newt, Rudy, Christie were all very early supporters, very vocal in fact, and all three are currently left out of his appointments.

I couldn't agree more.

Stephen KingVerified account
‏@StephenKing

Follow
More
Welcome to the age of plunder, bluster, and empty rhetoric. In other words, to the Age of Dumb. If you voted for him, you're responsible.

By this, you're responsible for my single male health insurance premium of 535 a month.

2ski

WKR
I'm curious what you guys think about Zinke for Interior? He's against fed land transfer, and so is Trump. That was my second favorite pick behind his Secdef.
I'm good with Ryan. I voted for Juneau against him in his House race but I'll take him for Interior.

As an aside on that, Juneau was the state Superintendent of education. A land board seat in MT. The woman that won that election in November is known to be pro land transfer. Juneau wasn't up against term limits. She chose to leave to run against Ryan. Wish she stayed now. The front runner from the Democrats for Zinke's seat probably won't be getting my vote though. Younger teacher from Butte. She's cute though. And has a nose ring

Ben Carson is a strange ranger for sure:

zsqtzFy.jpg

I agree the ACA was more of a handout to insurance companies. Should have been single payer to begin with. We are the only industrialized country on earth that doesn't guarantee health care as a right. I've always been covered through work so it didn't affect me. My brother and family have been on Obamacare and it has been good for them. What does concern me is you have 30 million + fellow Americans who will lose coverage and the Congress has nothing to replace it with.

Just because you think something should be a right, doesn't mean it is. Our country is different than europe, and even canada. We don't operate like they do, and our systems are different. Even though I agree that we should just be single payer, it doesn't work like that.

2ski

WKR
Just because you think something should be a right, doesn't mean it is. Our country is different than europe, and even canada. We don't operate like they do, and our systems are different. Even though I agree that we should just be single payer, it doesn't work like that.
Why should Healthcare not be a right? I'm truly asking your thoughts.

Hall256

WKR
Why should Healthcare not be a right? I'm truly asking your thoughts.

The way I have seen it, is that for Healthcare to be a right, you are now imposing on the goods and services provided by someone else. To create that "right" you will either make others pay for it through taxes, or you will reduce the compensation to the people providing the service. That is when a right infringes on others.

Is there a way that you can provide health insurance for the 300+ million people in this country, at a level that is commensurate with an accepted standard, and not drive up taxes or force a significant decrease in the compensation provided to the health care industry?

I'm good with Ryan. I voted for Juneau against him in his House race but I'll take him for Interior.

As an aside on that, Juneau was the state Superintendent of education. A land board seat in MT. The woman that won that election in November is known to be pro land transfer. Juneau wasn't up against term limits. She chose to leave to run against Ryan. Wish she stayed now. The front runner from the Democrats for Zinke's seat probably won't be getting my vote though. Younger teacher from Butte. She's cute though. And has a nose ring

Hopefully with Zinke as interior they won't be able to move any lands around. Although I believe states can run most of their issues better than the feds, they don't have the cash to manage all land.

IdahoElk

WKR
Wow. January 20th. Never thought this day would come.
I am SO glad that POS is gone.

Hopefully we can move forward and see some good things happen!

Randy

That POS is responsible for losing the house, senate and supreme court to the republicans and putting a wooden stake through the democrat party,show some thanks!

2ski

WKR
Hopefully with Zinke as interior they won't be able to move any lands around. Although I believe states can run most of their issues better than the feds, they don't have the cash to manage all land.
That's the way I feel. I don't trust people like the Koch brothers trying to make a land grab but we have a pretty good history in MT of managing out state lands. So I'm not too worried about MT other than being a population low but land area high state. We don't have the money to manage the lands. My bigger fear is for those states like Utah. They have a very poor history of managing their lands without selling off.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
HUD Sec is not just there to babysit homeless and disadvantaged people and give them things to make their lives a little better, but rather to institute policy to help them overcome their situation and to positively develop urban areas. I think Dr. Carson is infinitely qualified to do the job. I for one am sick of politicians lobbying for more money to exacerbate and encourage the situation they are tasked with overcoming. This is simply paying people to stay in their current situation and then using their fear of losing what little they are given to get out the vote for the next election. That is fear mongering at it's worst. Regardless of what Bernie Sanders says, we are a kind and generous country, but personal responsibility must come into play at some point! The phrase is over used, but a 'hand-up' is much better than a 'hand-out'.

A brain surgeon can run HUD. You don't have to be a community organizer. Honestly, putting intelligent people in positions with no experience, is better than putting people in positions who have experience, but lack intelligence.

You'd be better off debating devos. But trying to use ben carson as an example of a shitty cabinet pick is an uphill battle.

I think the position dictates that. I don't think people that have never served this country should be appointed to mil or defense positions. I actually feel that way about our presidents as well.

I wouldn't of wanted my CO to never step foot in battle and now tell me what I should be doing.

Same goes for a foreman on a construction crew, you can have all the degrees you want in economics it won't make you build a house better if you've never picked up a hammer in your life.

The general job market also disagrees with you, I know dozens of people with high level degrees with no work, why? Because companies like experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Generally I'll agree with you there.... states are more inclined to hire land managing professionals that are more local and have a better understanding and passion for local resources. I don't think states however can front the costs of things like complex wildfires. Small one's approach the 20mil mark and it only climbs per acre. My fear is once lands would get turned over mining, logging, etc... would all be hunky dory with states (revenue generated right?) until they actually had to pay out to a community that burnt plus thousands of out-of-state firefighters,etc.... that's when they'd probably say eff it and sell.

Generally I'll agree with you there.... states are more inclined to hire land managing professionals that are more local and have a better understanding and passion for local resources. I don't think states however can front the costs of things like complex wildfires. Small one's approach the 20mil mark and it only climbs per acre. My fear is once lands would get turned over mining, logging, etc... would all be hunky dory with states (revenue generated right?) until they actually had to pay out to a community that burnt plus thousands of out-of-state firefighters,etc.... that's when they'd probably say eff it and sell.
Exactly. Strange that when a plank of the Republican party is to transfer (sell) federal lands and many on a backcountry hunting forum think that's no big deal. At least Jr hunts.