Western hunter going to the tree stand.... help me!

Okay, which one of you boys knows a good middle priced climbing tree stand? I stay in the desert as much as I can and I’ve been fighting the reality of having to hunt in dog hair thick timber for a while. The denial is over, I need to get a tree stand, harness, etc. any you boys well versed in the sweet science of sitting for hours in trees? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleR1985

WKR
Look into saddles. several different climbing methods can be used, you're strapped in from the moment you leave the ground, weighs less than any other option, and packs easily.

I'm Kyler1945 over on saddlehunter.com

Btaylor

WKR
For mid priced and to stay as light as possible, I would look at the open front summitt or API stands. Both plenty comfortable. Harness wise I typically use a base model black diamond rock climbing harness and a linemans rope when using a climber. Fullbody harness wise SOP wear well for me and I currently am using a lightweight muddy. Lots of options on harnesses. Get on the Third Hand site and get a set of the stablizer straps, esp with an open front climber.

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
Summit climbers are pretty simple, quiet, and comfortable for the price. I have an open face but have used the closed front too. One of my buddies complains the open face is hard to climb with, but I dont have any issues. I'd add better straps if you have to carry far or strap to your pack. I also wrap contact areas with moleskin and add grip tape to the foot bed slats.

ethan

WKR
I think there are some things to consider like how far are you going in, how comfortable do you need to be vs how heavy of a climber you want to carry, etc... There are a lot of opinions I’m sure but I think it’s like anything else, what your set up is depends on how you’re going to use it.

OP
bguitierez
Look into saddles. several different climbing methods can be used, you're strapped in from the moment you leave the ground, weighs less than any other option, and packs easily.

I'm Kyler1945 over on saddlehunter.com

I’ll give it a look thank you bro!

OP
bguitierez
For mid priced and to stay as light as possible, I would look at the open front summitt or API stands. Both plenty comfortable. Harness wise I typically use a base model black diamond rock climbing harness and a linemans rope when using a climber. Fullbody harness wise SOP wear well for me and I currently am using a lightweight muddy. Lots of options on harnesses. Get on the Third Hand site and get a set of the stablizer straps, esp with an open front climber.

Just as I thought...another rabbit hole to travel down haha

OP
bguitierez
I think there are some things to consider like how far are you going in, how comfortable do you need to be vs how heavy of a climber you want to carry, etc... There are a lot of opinions I’m sure but I think it’s like anything else, what your set up is depends on how you’re going to use it.

True that! I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

I run a summit open front...17lbs. I also suggest packing a small limb saw...for some reason it never fails I find the perfect tree and there is always on or 2 limbs in my way on the climb up. Or a hanging limb blocking my view. I also like the screw into bow holders..As far as harnesses..I like the small thin one that came with my stand or something like it..I used to use the HSS vests but the are just too bulky for me.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I like Ol' Man Grand Multi-Vision climbers and Lone Wolf lock ons. Lock ons are great for the lightweight, portability of hang and hunt type sets. I ditched the full body harness a couple of years ago for a rock climbing harness. It's a much safer option.

Shrek

WKR
Summit Viper for comfort and ease of use unless you’re a big guy like me then the Goliath model.
Hang on stands are nice if you have a particular spot but hang on stands and climbing sticks are a pita to move all the time.

stump06

WKR
Saddle or a lone wolf/millennium with stick. Both of those will be a lot more compact than a climber and quieter too. I started saddle hunting last year and love it. Still have a millennium m7 as well. I still have a summit climber but I doubt ill ever use it again

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Summit Open Shot that’s under 12 lbs, and if you put a netted seat on it, you can shave it down some more. It’s a bit too minimal for some people, but I like it well enough. I would recommend it if you value portability as much as or more than comfort. If comfort more, look into the Viper as others have said.

I recently picked up a used X Stand that’s like 9 lbs. Haven’t used it as much, but it seems as comfortable as the Summit for a few pounds less. I’ve seen folks claim it’s unsafe, but if you make sure the clasp closes securely when attaching, it’s fine.

I just use the crappy harnesses that come with stands when you buy them, so I don’t have any advice there.

The best thing I’ve done for comfort is add a bow holder! It’s worth a little more weight for me.

I caught a Lomé wolf climber on sale. Happy to the extent I use it.

Consider buying some sticks and a climber. Gives you the option to hang it with some practice.

DO NOT skimp on safety. Worth the cost and weight. Big fan of life lines. I prefer a rock climbing harness to a full body for mobile stand set ups.

Pn8hall

WKR
I have a summit viper and a Lone wolf wide sit n climb. The summit is crazy comfortable but is also a lot bulkier when packing in and out since it does not fold flat. The lone wolf is pretty sweet but not quite as comfy as the summit. They both have there place for me. The Lone wold folds flat and packs easy. If I know I have to hike thru some thick stuff I take the Lone wolf. I also use the harnesses that come with the stands. Something else to consider also is a footrest. My summit has a flip over bar and the lone wolf has some pegs. Again the summit is more comfy. I could sleep for hours in the Summit! Also I would recommend starting with a sit n climb style rather than the open front ones that you climb using your upper body.

bdg848

WKR
tree saddles are far better imo. I switched and have no desire to go back to tree stands. Saddles are excellent for the mobile hunter. Super light weight.

MNman

FNG
I used a summit viper and really enjoyed it. (Would recommend to anyone.) however I have switched to climbing sticks and a millennium hang on. I have found I can access more tress and better shooting lanes going this route. I does take a bit longer to get set up, but it’s worth it to me.