Confused man looking for a pack to haul Millennium M50 tree stand, 3 sticks, and gear for the day

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I typically hunt via ladder stand on private, hence my confusion. I'm looking for a pack to haul my Millennium M50 tree stand, 3 sticks, as well as my gear for the day deep into the wonders of public land. I don't need the ability pack out meat but it would be neat as it's something I'm interested in trying out. I'm not really sure what to do here. If I get a larger pack that can handle hauling the stand/gear then it'll likely be too large to have it sitting IN the stand with me, right? Or, I could use the Millennium stand as a "frame" and attach a smaller pack to it, that would hold my gear for the day. What's the right/best way to go about this?

Packs I'm looking into:
  • Badlands 2200 (Has meat shelf, lots of features, can strap stand to back. This is way more storage than I need out of a day pack though and it would be quite cumbersome in a tree stand.)
  • Badlands Superday (Not sure if pack is stable enough to strap 25+ lbs of tree stand gear to the back?)
  • Badlands Timber (Not sure if I could realistically haul the stand on the back of this pack? No waist straps so hauling any amount of weight would probably be uncomfortable.)
  • Kuiu Venture 1800 (Similar to my comment on the Superday, could it handle 25+ lbs of tree stand gear on the outside?)
  • Kuiu Pro 1850 (This will work since it's a frame pack, but might be overkill for my needs.)
I'm open to any options, theories, brands, etc. Help.

Drenalin

WKR
I used an XOP Treestand Transport System for a while. It goes on the platform of your stand and makes hauling a stand much more comfortable than the straps that come with stands. From there, I attached a small daypack to the stand with a carabiner and wrapped a bungee around it to keep things from moving and shifting too much. It's not ideal, and you wouldn't want to haul meat this way, but it does work at a relatively affordable price point.

The Eberlestock X2 is popular for what you're trying to do. From what I was told when I was looking at this pack, you really don't want a heavy load in it (i.e. meat) unless you're about 5'-10" or less.

I'd be looking real hard at the Mystery Ranch Popup series. This would let you get your treestand right up against your back instead of strapping it to the outside of a bag stuffed with gear, which is an awkward way to do what you're trying to do. I think there's one in the classifieds right here on Rokslide, and they show up on Camofire fairly regularly. If you can be polite, you might even call Black Ovis and get the same, or close to the same, discount without having to wait.

The only one on your list I'd personally use is the KUIU Pro, simply because you can get the stand between the bag and frame where it will carry better. But there are other, cheaper, options to accomplish that too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You could look at a kifaru tactical frame or a barneys frame. Both are probably overkill but who cares. If I was hauling tree stands, Id use a barneys external frame with a load shelf. That would make quick work out of lashing odd shaped objects.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I used an XOP Treestand Transport System for a while. It goes on the platform of your stand and makes hauling a stand much more comfortable than the straps that come with stands. From there, I attached a small daypack to the stand with a carabiner and wrapped a bungee around it to keep things from moving and shifting too much. It's not ideal, and you wouldn't want to haul meat this way, but it does work at a relatively affordable price point.

The Eberlestock X2 is popular for what you're trying to do. From what I was told when I was looking at this pack, you really don't want a heavy load in it (i.e. meat) unless you're about 5'-10" or less.

I'd be looking real hard at the Mystery Ranch Popup series. This would let you get your treestand right up against your back instead of strapping it to the outside of a bag stuffed with gear, which is an awkward way to do what you're trying to do. I think there's one in the classifieds right here on Rokslide, and they show up on Camofire fairly regularly. If you can be polite, you might even call Black Ovis and get the same, or close to the same, discount without having to wait.

The only one on your list I'd personally use is the KUIU Pro, simply because you can get the stand between the bag and frame where it will carry better. But there are other, cheaper, options to accomplish that too.

Thank you! I will look into your recommendations. The biggest takeaway I'm seeing is that I should be putting the stand up against my back, versus on the rear of a pack. Coming from a background of backpacking/camping I completely understand why but for whatever reason I hadn't thought of that!

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
You could look at a kifaru tactical frame or a barneys frame. Both are probably overkill but who cares. If I was hauling tree stands, Id use a barneys external frame with a load shelf. That would make quick work out of lashing odd shaped objects.

Will do - I appreciate it

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a youtube video review of the Venture 2300.
I do know the 2300 has 3/4 inch straps, vs 1/2 inch straps on the 1800.
That same guy has a video of how he packs his stand and sticks onto the back of his Venture 2300.

I'm not a fan of Badlands after having a few. You could make them work, just they are heavy for what you get and aren't as durable as I'd like. I bent stays among other things. Great for just a tree stand hunting pack, but I wouldn't want to put much weight in or on them. If you are going to be carrying a stand in I'd want something that you can carry everything out with, but that might not be that important to you.

I have made some posts here with pictures of packs and stands I have for representation. I'd look hard at the Hill Peppy Gear Decker for what you are wanting.

I'll see if I can link a few posts I have made that atleast shows carrying a couple different stands.

Post in thread 'What Tree stand?' https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/what-tree-stand.166485/post-1594330

Here is an xop stand in an exo and an hpg decker. No sticks with it, that will depend on how you end up carrying your steps.
Post in thread 'Backpack for carrying Lone Wolf Assault' https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/backpack-for-carrying-lone-wolf-assault.210609/post-2048030

Last edited:
OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. From digging around online and spending some time thinking, I've narrowed down what I'm looking for. I keep getting caught up in "well this bag is only $50 more", and "this one allows me to _____ one day"... and it's leading me down a rabbit hole getting away from what I'm really after, and looking at packs that offer/can do things that I'm not actually doing NOW.

So anyways... I'm finding that all I'm looking for is a pack that can carry my stand and gear for the day, and comfortably be up in the tree with me. I'm not worried about hauling meat.

I really like the versatility of the Eberlestock X2. I have a 15% promo code for Kuiu, for my birthday, so that makes the Venture 2300 very enticing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I really like the versatility of the Eberlestock X2. I have a 15% promo code for Kuiu, for my birthday, so that makes the Venture 2300 very enticing.

I think the X2 would carry stand and sticks better, based on being able to lock them in between the wings and get weight closer to your back. Might be a little bulkier in tree than the KUIU, but I doubt enough to be an issue. It seems like there were a couple of X2s in the classifieds the last few days.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
This is by far the best system for a stand a sticks that I've found. Not cheap but works perfectly and very comfortable especially if you are hiking in a ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can see why this system is so highly recommended - it looks great! For me though, the weekend deer hunter with a 2 year old, I can't justify the cost for the type of usage it would be getting.

I have a couple millennium M50s for set and forget stands on private.. they are not ideal for carrying around long distances through brush.

I’d probably buy a XOP vanish stand and the transport system, and lash a pack bag to the platform before buying a separate pack frame to haul that m50 around.

I’m thinking about buying the xop transport system myself and I have a couple nice pack frames already.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple millennium M50s for set and forget stands on private.. they are not ideal for carrying around long distances through brush.

I’d probably buy a XOP vanish stand and the transport system, and lash a pack bag to the platform before buying a separate pack frame to haul that m50 around.

I’m thinking about buying the xop transport system myself and I have a couple nice pack frames already.
Yea I think that's part of my problem. Not ever having a tree stand before I had no clue what was realistic, size-wise, to be toting around in the woods.

Yea I think that's part of my problem. Not ever having a tree stand before I had no clue what was realistic, size-wise, to be toting around in the woods.

There are a number of stands out there designed to "hang and hunt" that are a lot easier to carry around the woods. I've only carried my M50s about 300 yards but they were bangin and clangin the whole time which is a bigger issue than just being a little heavier and more cumbersome.

Last year was really my first year "hang and hunt"ing too as I previously just hunted set stands on private or not in a stand at all. I used a saddle some hunts but got an xop vanish as well and it seems like a great stand and a little cheaper than going lone wolf. Millenium makes smaller mobile stands as well.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
There are a number of stands out there designed to "hang and hunt" that are a lot easier to carry around the woods. I've only carried my M50s about 300 yards but they were bangin and clangin the whole time which is a bigger issue than just being a little heavier and more cumbersome.

Last year was really my first year "hang and hunt"ing too as I previously just hunted set stands on private or not in a stand at all. I used a saddle some hunts but got an xop vanish as well and it seems like a great stand and a little cheaper than going lone wolf. Millenium makes smaller mobile stands as well.
Yea the M50 is definitely bigger and heavier than the XOP, but the M50 sure looks comfy! I've never even sat in mine - it's still unused. Maybe I'll sell the M50, get a XOP, and revisit the pack situation after.