The broke finger buck

Ahiuranch

FNG
This story starts back in the 1980s, as most people know Texas has a lot of high fence ranches. Ours is not but back in the 1980s our neighbors property was. Then one faithful week there was a storm that broke down 1/2 a mile of fence. Deer were able to make it out and filled the county ok maybe not the county but at least a few neighboring ranches. When we got on it in 2017 I had no clue about this history. I would hunt a deer lease in south texas with a friend every once in a while when he invited me. Well I noticed very quickly that the doe’s I was seeing on the ranch were bigger bodied then south Texas bucks and the bucks on the ranch were huge. Into the 2018 year I went, we gathered cows in the summer and I seen a massive buck walking into a thicket, I was actually questioning if my eyes had seen what I thought they had. I decided to set up a cellular cam on a old road that ran through there. We had to fly to va for some personal stuff, we’ll day two of being in va I get a picture sent to my phone. I once again couldn’t believe my eyes this buck was crazy looking. I sent a photo to our neighbor and that’s when I was told about high fence genetics running around. Then and there I decided that he is getting the shaft when I get back. We land back in Texas the next morning at 4 am I grab a climbing stand that I had found in a trash pile at work. I don’t sit stands but for this buck I would have sat through a Biden speech. I find a tree about 80 yards from the camera get set with the wind blowing across the road. I figured he would walk down the road,I would stop him at 20 pump him frontal and all would be right with the world. Well at 8 am he shows coming right down the road as he disappeared behind the camera tree(it’s in the middle of the road) I stand and ready my bow, he comes around the tree head down as he gets closer I draw he gets to 20 way quicker then I thought he would and I stop him by yelling out “HEY” his head shoots up and my shot brakes clean, a blink later the arrow blows into his chest, he goes blazing into the woods and I do my happy dance. I hear him crash so I start my down climb. As I do this the bottom half of the stand slips a little and my feet come out of the bungees. It falls to the ground and I am left hanging on to the rifle rest portion of the top part of the stand. I pull my self up and sit on the rifle rest cursing my luck. Now like any grown man I weigh my options. I could call my wife have her bring out a ladder and climb down… One problem I didn’t have my safety harness on and I knew I would have to endure a interrogation the likes of which would make the CIA proud. So I decided to bear hug the tree and shimmy down about 8 ft from the bottom my finger gets stuck in a Y and I slip…pop it goes and I let go falling the last 8 ft. I land on my back with a thud. once I am able to catch my breath and look at my finger I get lightheaded and almost pass out. I guess I am gonna have to call my wife after all. She comes and I have her help me notch my tag she goes in and found the buck piled up 50 yards off the road slaps my tag on it. She then takes me to the hospital, I think she was so worried she didn’t ask any questions. I told her to call a buddy of mines to go get my buck and clean it before it spoiled. The doctors do x rays and re set my finger. I head home happy as can be ready to see my buck. When we get there I find no deer. I call my buddy and he says it’s gutted and dropped off at the processor. I was thinking he was just gonna gut and Ice in the belly but he explained that he didn’t know if I would have to stay over night at the hospital for a concussion and that’s why he had dropped it off. I thanked him for helping out and went to the processor the next day. They had him quartered already so I wasn’t able to get a photo but his rack was as big As I thought it was. I don’t think I’ll ever kill a deer with this head gear again he is truly a once in a life time deer. That’s the story of the broke finger buck.
-Kai

Attachments

• CDC5D55A-509B-497B-AA39-7BBB4464AC02.jpeg
    CDC5D55A-509B-497B-AA39-7BBB4464AC02.jpeg
    582.3 KB · Views: 239
  • ACE8FA22-0580-4D1A-933E-496B1AD9092C.jpeg
    ACE8FA22-0580-4D1A-933E-496B1AD9092C.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 239
  • 2D990B60-C61A-4DA7-95FB-7087F5B1ED59.jpeg
    2D990B60-C61A-4DA7-95FB-7087F5B1ED59.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 243

zalewitz

FNG
This story starts back in the 1980s, as most people know Texas has a lot of high fence ranches. Ours is not but back in the 1980s our neighbors property was. Then one faithful week there was a storm that broke down 1/2 a mile of fence. Deer were able to make it out and filled the county ok maybe not the county but at least a few neighboring ranches. When we got on it in 2017 I had no clue about this history. I would hunt a deer lease in south texas with a friend every once in a while when he invited me. Well I noticed very quickly that the doe’s I was seeing on the ranch were bigger bodied then south Texas bucks and the bucks on the ranch were huge. Into the 2018 year I went, we gathered cows in the summer and I seen a massive buck walking into a thicket, I was actually questioning if my eyes had seen what I thought they had. I decided to set up a cellular cam on a old road that ran through there. We had to fly to va for some personal stuff, we’ll day two of being in va I get a picture sent to my phone. I once again couldn’t believe my eyes this buck was crazy looking. I sent a photo to our neighbor and that’s when I was told about high fence genetics running around. Then and there I decided that he is getting the shaft when I get back. We land back in Texas the next morning at 4 am I grab a climbing stand that I had found in a trash pile at work. I don’t sit stands but for this buck I would have sat through a Biden speech. I find a tree about 80 yards from the camera get set with the wind blowing across the road. I figured he would walk down the road,I would stop him at 20 pump him frontal and all would be right with the world. Well at 8 am he shows coming right down the road as he disappeared behind the camera tree(it’s in the middle of the road) I stand and ready my bow, he comes around the tree head down as he gets closer I draw he gets to 20 way quicker then I thought he would and I stop him by yelling out “HEY” his head shoots up and my shot brakes clean, a blink later the arrow blows into his chest, he goes blazing into the woods and I do my happy dance. I hear him crash so I start my down climb. As I do this the bottom half of the stand slips a little and my feet come out of the bungees. It falls to the ground and I am left hanging on to the rifle rest portion of the top part of the stand. I pull my self up and sit on the rifle rest cursing my luck. Now like any grown man I weigh my options. I could call my wife have her bring out a ladder and climb down… One problem I didn’t have my safety harness on and I knew I would have to endure a interrogation the likes of which would make the CIA proud. So I decided to bear hug the tree and shimmy down about 8 ft from the bottom my finger gets stuck in a Y and I slip…pop it goes and I let go falling the last 8 ft. I land on my back with a thud. once I am able to catch my breath and look at my finger I get lightheaded and almost pass out. I guess I am gonna have to call my wife after all. She comes and I have her help me notch my tag she goes in and found the buck piled up 50 yards off the road slaps my tag on it. She then takes me to the hospital, I think she was so worried she didn’t ask any questions. I told her to call a buddy of mines to go get my buck and clean it before it spoiled. The doctors do x rays and re set my finger. I head home happy as can be ready to see my buck. When we get there I find no deer. I call my buddy and he says it’s gutted and dropped off at the processor. I was thinking he was just gonna gut and Ice in the belly but he explained that he didn’t know if I would have to stay over night at the hospital for a concussion and that’s why he had dropped it off. I thanked him for helping out and went to the processor the next day. They had him quartered already so I wasn’t able to get a photo but his rack was as big As I thought it was. I don’t think I’ll ever kill a deer with this head gear again he is truly a once in a life time deer. That’s the story of the broke finger buck.
-Kai
Congrats! What an awesome buck.