water line question

three5x5s

WKR
I have a pond about 150 feet from the back of my house. I want to run a pipe from the gutter down spout on the back of the house to the pond to help fill it. Its about a 3+ foot drop from house to pond. Pipe has to be strong enought to hold tractors/truck. How deep should pipe be laid, kind of pipe and size??
Thanks

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
6” schedule 40 PVC main line with 4” branch lines to each downspout. Start of at 12” deep. Need some more info on the terrain. The ground has 3 feet of drop between the house and the pond?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
3 feet of overall drop but over what distance? Need to calculate rise over run to get a slope percentage. Code is 1/4” per foot normally.

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
First Thanks for the help. Only 1 down spot going to pond. The 3 ft drop is pretty steedy down hill. Have a cistern we no longer use thats on the east side of the back of the house thats feed from the back east side down spout.. I drain it 3-4 times a year with a garden hose in to the pond so I dont think there will be any flow problem. the pond and the down spout that I want to feed it are on the west side of the back of the house. We have 2 down spouts on the back of the house, 1 on the west just runs out on the ground and 1 on the east feeds the cistern. Hope that helps

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
4” pipe from each downspout, connect them to 6” PVC and install with 2% slope to the pond (1/4” drop per foot). If you are only draining 1/2 of your roof you can get away with installing 4” PVC schedule 40 in lieu of 6”.

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
I dont think code will come in to play, the roof feeding the west (to pound) down spout is 35 feet long by 20ft to the gable.

Run it from ground level entry to pond level desired. Schedule 40 6”. Don’t worry about the frost line just make sure you have fall.

Whatever you do put downspout screens in….

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I dont think code will come in to play, the roof feeding the west (to pound) down spout is 35 feet long by 20ft to the gable.
4” is plenty for your roof. Start off with 12” of cover (16” deep to the bottom of the pipe).

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
Where I just have 1 down spout can I get by with runnig 4" PVC all the way ?? When you say 12 inch of cover can that be just dirt or do I need some gravel ??

AndrewD

FNG
My opinion: No need for PVC, frost line considerations, etc. since this is not a pressure line. As long as you don't have low spots that will remain filled with water over winter, it doesn't matter if it freezes. You are diverting drainage from one area to another. Drainage pipes rarely have the luxury of being able to be deep enough to get below frost line in winter climates, usually the elevation of both ends of the pipe dictate how deep it needs to go.

Standard cheap option is 3 or 4" corrugated drain pipe. You have a pretty small amount of drop so you are not going to get away with burying this very deep. Corrugated drain pipe does crush somewhat easily, but once it is in a little bit of compacted dirt, it is surprisingly strong. If you had enough drop you could put it a foot down, but I'm guessing you need to go pretty shallow. The stuff is cheap, so if you have it a few inches underground (compact the soil around it for strength), and you crush it with your tractor, it is not a big loss. Repairs with cheap couplings and pipe tape. Its flexible so your trench doesn't need to be super straight. Because of the corrugations, the pipe is susceptible to clogging with debris and silt if you allow a lot of it to get in over time.

Poly pipe is cheap and a lot tougher, but a little harder to work with. You could redneck high-PSI poly right on the ground and drive all over it for years without problems, but it is ugly and UV will eventually beat it up.

Do not use s40 PVC pipe for this. Way to expensive. S&D pipe is what you want or SDR35 if you want to run sticks (10', 13' or 14' depending on brand by you). Or run a continuous coil of 4" corrugated ADS pipe. Either will have transition fittings and adapters to go to the downspout.