Attic venting

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
That lomanco website i sent you has a calculator for venting for spaces. You can play around with it and see if you need more. Also check local code because that while help you determine if you have enough per code.

Personally if you are up to code I would leave it. If she ain't broke....

Mtndawger

FNG
Just put ridge vent across all the ridges and call it good. It’s simple, rather inexpensive and works. It’s way better than wind turbines and air hawks.

Make sure you have vented soffit around the house when you reside it.

I’ve done numerous houses this way. Never any issues and attic space air recycles more than sufficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you install ridge vents without adequate soffit venting the stacking effect of the rising hot air will suck the air through leaks in the ceiling and walls, not only the attic. This would make your house hotter in the summer and colder in the winter and end up quite a bit less efficient. It’s important to balance the air going into the attic (soffit) with the air going out ( ridge or gable vents). Barring that it would be better to just install additional vents in the other gables. You should avoid vents that penetrate the roof plain since snow/ ice can build up above them due to heat loss and the melting can refreeze near the eaves. Once again there is a formula for the size of vents for the square footage of the attic. Your building department could help you with that.

If you install ridge vents without adequate soffit venting the stacking effect of the rising hot air will suck the air through leaks in the ceiling and walls, not only the attic. This would make your house hotter in the summer and colder in the winter and end up quite a bit less efficient. It’s important to balance the air going into the attic (soffit) with the air going out ( ridge or gable vents). Barring that it would be better to just install additional vents in the other gables. You should avoid vents that penetrate the roof plain since snow/ ice can build up above them due to heat loss and the melting can refreeze near the eaves. Once again there is a formula for the size of vents for the square footage of the attic. Your building department could help you with that.

Valid point about adequate soffit venting.

Mtndawger

FNG
Valid point about adequate soffit venting.

As you said, ridge vents work great, to be fair you did recommend soffit venting along with the ridge vent. OP didn’t think he could do a soffit vent in his situation. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t just that he was looking for a workaround ( my interpretation anyway). I was really thinking of helping others understand the dynamics involved with attic venting. The makeup air has to come from somewhere and it would be bad for it to come from the conditioned space ( the living space). Most people have no idea how leaky their houses are

As you said, ridge vents work great, to be fair you did recommend soffit venting along with the ridge vent. OP didn’t think he could do a soffit vent in his situation. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t just that he was looking for a workaround ( my interpretation anyway). I was really thinking of helping others understand the dynamics involved with attic venting. The makeup air has to come from somewhere and it would be bad for it to come from the conditioned space ( the living space). Most people have no idea how leaky their houses are

I agree. I’d have to go back and re read but I think I posted that before he said he didn’t think he could do soffit venting or I had missed that part. A good solar power vent would help too if you can’t do soffit vents.

I live in a house with crappy insulation. Waiting until this fall and will be doing a lot of remodeling on the house when I have the time and crews slow down. Upgrading soffit and some siding will be on the top of the list for the exterior. This house was the opposite of his. Soffit vents and no roof vents because that makes sense... I sent my roof guy over and had him install ridge vent shortly after we bought the house.