Watch out for Rattlesnakes.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
They don't know for sure because she has had the rattlesnake vaccine and did not react to it. It was a large dose of venom that must of hit a high vascular area. But she also had a lot of symptons common to allergic reactions. I don't know how epipens work but she said it does the same thing that it would do for a human. All I know is I was lucky it happened close to the truck and close to home because if it would of happened miles away from the truck I would of been carrying a dead dog.

Mikeha33

Lil-Rokslider
Snake1.jpg
Snake3.jpg

They're getting worse here in Eastern Kansas too. One of these never rattled a bit. That's a size 11 golf shoe next to them, and a full size Tundra tailgate. They're not small. Never worried about snake boots growing up, but I'm in the market now.

_Nick_

WKR
View attachment 18187
View attachment 18188

They're getting worse here in Eastern Kansas too. One of these never rattled a bit. That's a size 11 golf shoe next to them, and a full size Tundra tailgate. They're not small. Never worried about snake boots growing up, but I'm in the market now.

I'd be VERY careful about leaving the heads on like that. They've been known to bite up to an hour after actually being decapitated even... those heads are super dangerous (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199906173402420). My approach is immediate decapitation and burying of the head.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Our dogs are like kids to us so I can't imagine if it was one of your own. Sofia is slowly getting better and is off most of her medications. Starting to get more active but has definetly lost her coordination. I am hoping she regains that before bird season.

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider
Is there an anti venom shot we can get and carry around? I run the dogs quite a bit between Elizabeth CO and McCook NE and Goodland KS and I know its just a matter of time before we bump into one.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
How is your dog?

If you live in snake country you can get your dog vaccinated for snake bite. It does work. My dog was bit last year and swelled up a fair bit but didn't need any antivenom.

She is getting a lot better and I would say 80% back to normal now. Sofia has had that vaccination for the last two years. In fact she had one just two months before she was bitten. Very mixed results on who you ask, all three vets that took care of her said there was no hard evidence that it works. Snake bites are also very dependent on location and dose of venom. Most bites have a similar reaction as yours poisonarrow. Sofia was one of the unlucky ones in bite location and dose. I am not saying don't get the vaccine I just want to let you know that its not a fool proof plan. I think avoidance training will have better and cheaper results.

Great to hear Sofie is on the mend!

I've been very fortunate with both of my Britts. Both would chase just about anything but blatantly ignored snakes. I've seen them hop over and around snakes several times never once stopping to check them out.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Yeah this one was just coiled up deep in som sage and she just put her nose to far in. I hope now she knows that snakes are bad or atleast this rattlesnake class can remind her.

Ray

WKR
The last three rattlers i have encountered have not given any warning so keep your eyes aware as you are walking through snake country.

I lived for about 12 years in the Fallon area as a kid. We went all over the place. Summers in the fields and then lots of birds and ghosttowns in the mountains. Not a single rattler we encountered in those years rattled. Dozens of them seen and encountered and not a sound.

Its good to hear that Sophia is recovering.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider

I don't normally kill snakes unless they are in my yard. Snakes belong in the woods, fields and wild places that we explore. However, this one was staying in some debris at the base of my favorite deer stand so he had to go. This is the biggest one I've seen in Arkansas.

I don't normally kill snakes unless they are in my yard. Snakes belong in the woods, fields and wild places that we explore. However, this one was staying in some debris at the base of my favorite deer stand so he had to go. This is the biggest one I've seen in Arkansas.

I sharted a little when I saw this pic. How long was that thing? Seems like 8 feet or so?

And that is why I have no desire to hunt in the south :)

Seen a few in Idaho, Colorado and in Kansas... But not near the density as you southern folks.. No thanks :)