Watch out for Rattlesnakes.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Hey Mark glad you made it out of that situation. Reminds me of a similar experience 2 years ago couple hours north of Reno. Sofia set off a rattle and called her back and shot the snake. As soon as i fired two more sets of rattles went of about 10-15 yards above me. Decided to head back to the truck instead of chasing the chukar we were after. It can be scary in those situations trying to control the dog and watch every step.

Yup, that avoidance training really works well. We had both our dogs, a GSP and a German Shepard trained a couple of years ago and we get them the snake vaccine every 6 months too. We see a lot of rattlesnakes out here in the desert and have had a couple in the back yard. The dogs act like is it something real bad and they stay way back with that odd, "there's something bad over there" bark. Sounds like your gal is going to be OK, good to hear.

Mike

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Just got back from the animal hospitol. She is starting to do better and just ate her first bit of food. Still has to stay the night and get iv fluids and medicine but we probably get to take her home in the mornig. Thanks for all the positive thoughts.

Stid2677

WKR
Just got back from the animal hospitol. She is starting to do better and just ate her first bit of food. Still has to stay the night and get iv fluids and medicine but we probably get to take her home in the mornig. Thanks for all the positive thoughts.

Great news!!

JWP58

WKR
One of the reasons I'm waiting until it gets real cold before I head to NV with my Britts. I hate rattlers.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Good to see that she's doing better. I don't mind the snakes so much, but I've found 10 black widows in the last week around the outside of the house here. I really do hate those.

sdr

FNG
It's good to see she is recovering. Hopefully this made her more aware of snakes and avoids them in the future.

ethan

WKR
Glad to hear the good news about your dog. If it makes you feel any better, i hope the snake died slow!!

_Nick_

WKR
Good to see that she's doing better. I don't mind the snakes so much, but I've found 10 black widows in the last week around the outside of the house here. I really do hate those.

Yup, I've killed around 10 of them from either the bed or undercarriage of my truck. No bueno...

I hope your pup has a quick recovery! Pretty scary shit right there. I basically watched my dog drown in a natural dam a few years ago. She regained consciousness just as a was carrying her to the bank and was going thru puppy CPR in my head. She was underwater a minute or so and unconscious another half minute or so floating downriver after I freed her from the debris.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
So she is home with us, still really swollen and clumbsy. The vet thought that it was most likely an allergic reaction and a high dose of venom. So i am now supposed to carry an epipen out in the hills. Thanks again guys and don't be scared just cautious out in the hills. This type of reaction happens less than 5% in most rattlesnake bites.

So she is home with us, still really swollen and clumbsy. The vet thought that it was most likely an allergic reaction and a high dose of venom. So i am now supposed to carry an epipen out in the hills. Thanks again guys and don't be scared just cautious out in the hills. This type of reaction happens less than 5% in most rattlesnake bites.

Great news !

dotman

WKR

Really an epipen, never would of thought that would help. Did they explain why? Just had to get one for my 3 year old daughter after a bad reaction to a bee bite a week ago.

Good to hear your pup is doing well.