Watch out for Rattlesnakes.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
She is vaccinated but she got a high dose from and adolecent snake in a bad spot. Going to go see her now but still have 24 hours to go.

I ran into one a few weeks ago scouting. Really glad i didn't have my dog with as it was right in the trail. Hope your dog is ok.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Thanks for all the positive support guys, she is in really bad shape and its just going to be up to her body to be able to survive this high dose. Its going to be a long night.

_Nick_

WKR
Hope your dog gets better!

Took out two rattlers today with my bow while jackrabbit hunting. They did not rattle until my arrow went through, but they clearly saw me before that. I only found them because I heard them moving while I was in slow-stalk mode. So, be careful out there guys.

Oh, and just had some fried rattlesnake... mighty tasty. Probably going to make a wallet out of the hide.

Poor pup.

Backstrap

Lil-Rokslider
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your girl. My Dad lives in Reno and was telling me about the training Rock 2.0 mentioned. Sounds like good stuff for those in snake country with dogs. Wish there was more of it.

wagnon89

FNG
Hate to hear that. I've got two labs myself and my property is covered up with timber rattlers. Killed a nice sized one for this area a few weeks ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408280244.702855.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408280261.935850.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408280298.352505.jpg

I've not had any luck finding a vet that offers the vaccine in my area yet.

Ironman8

WKR
Rattlers that don't rattle, eh? Wow, that's freaky. I've always said that I'd rather come across a rattler than a copperhead, cause at least I can hear one of them. Copperheads blend in extremely well. Now that there's rattlers out there that don't rattle, I may have to re-think my theory :eek:

Hope your pup pulls through NVCHUCKAR.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
218.JPG216.jpg213.jpgWhat is your pups name?? Sorry to hear that but labs are tough. I've got 5 dogs and one of them, Shilo, was bit above the right eye last year when I was irrigating in one of our alfalfa fields. He was pretty sick for a couple of days and his neck really swelled up but he made it. Keep us posted on your buddy.

Randy

P.S. I kill rattlesnakes every chance I get.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Sofia is her name and the vet just said that she is doing slightly better this morning and the blood work shows improvement. As long as she keeps improving and starts to eat again we will get to take her home this afternoon.

Beendare

WKR
Rattlers that don't rattle, eh? Wow, that's freaky. I've always said that I'd rather come across a rattler than a copperhead, cause at least I can hear one of them. Copperheads blend in extremely well. Now that there's rattlers out there that don't rattle, I may have to re-think my theory :eek:

Actually I've seen it a few times in the last couple years- we might be seeing an evolutionary thing for their survival. The snakes that alert you to where they are get killed. Mn biking in A state park in Ca covered up with rattlers and went to sit and have lunch in the shade- there is a rattler head above the grass stock still 3' from where I'm going to sit just watching me.

Hope your dog makes it

G Posik

WKR
I wi tell you I use to run GSP dogs. Had everyone of them run through the rattle snake avoidance class. Did this every year. Normally on the refresher every year they could not be drug by them the first try. When hunting in the field you could always tell if the dogs were 20' from a snake. They would yelp and run like their A$$ was on fire. It was well worth the money for the snake breaking. There are only 3 types of snake I do not like.... Live ones, dead ones and fake ones.

Hope all is good with your dog.

Glenn

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
NV, what vet is treating her?

She is at the animal hospital which was the only place open that we could find and had all the antivenom ready when she recieved the bite. A few different vets since they are there 24 hours a day. They seem to be doing a good job as I litteraly brought them a dead dog in my arms.

Mark

WKR
I stopped early season chukar hunting after an opening day encounter with three snakes within a 40 yard radius. We were looking for a bird that my son shot and the dog goes in one side of a sage brush and was acting birdy. I went to the other side in case the bird ran out. Instead, a rattler coils up next to my boot and starts buzzing. Dog comes out of the brush and is nose to nose with the snake with the snake leaning back as if to avoid the dog. Called the dog off the snake and shot the snake. Mice flew everywhere. There were chukar 100 yards above us so up we went. Walking less than 20 yards and another snake goes off 5 yards in front of my son. Called the dog in, started off the mountain with the dog at heel and less than 20 yards from the spot of the first snake, snake number three starts buzzing. That was a slow careful walk off the mountain with a wound up dog at heel the entire time. Haven't hunted early season since. Rather hunt ducks anyways, which is why I have labs instead of GSPs.