Washington High Buck

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Ain't that the truth.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

At the absolute max you get 20 days to rifle hunt mule deer in WA state. Modern+HH. You already have to choose your weapon, so archery guys get hosed if they can't get it done with a bow.

With typical WA fall weather, it's usually half that, at least up top where it's actually worth hunting.

Giving up opportunity, especially in WA state, is a pretty dang slippery slope, particularly when it won't have any effect on population dynamics, and your commission is actively working to erode the state's hunting heritage. If you want to take the gong show pumpkin patch units on the Eastern slope of the Cascades and make them draw only to address crowding, guess what happens to the Cascade crest units that are totally void of hunters but loaded with deer during modern? New gong-show.

The most remote places with the fewest hunters I've been are not in Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana...they're deep in the WA cascades. Shoot, just last year I saw more dudes in one day, 3 miles from the nearest trail in the Bob Marshall Wilderness than I saw in 5 years of high hunts in WA state.

What would your proposal be looking to accomplish?

It would force people to choose which hunt is actually important to them, increase your odds of getting premium tags, and reduce crowding in the October seasons. I doubt it would change the high hunt much at all.

I would be okay with extending the seasons so they're longer as long as you can't hunt multiple seasons.

I would also do away with the current draw system that allows all the different categories for deer and elk.

If you want a cow tag, that's what you put in for. If you want a quality bull tag, you apply for that. But not both.

ianpadron

WKR
It would force people to choose which hunt is actually important to them, increase your odds of getting premium tags, and reduce crowding in the October seasons. I doubt it would change the high hunt much at all.

I would be okay with extending the seasons so they're longer as long as you can't hunt multiple seasons.

I would also do away with the current draw system that allows all the different categories for deer and elk.

If you want a cow tag, that's what you put in for. If you want a quality bull tag, you apply for that. But not both.
I don't see going after the HH accomplishing any of that.

It would penalize the steep n deep guys that like to hunt wilderness areas during modern and September, and don't have crowding issues on their hunts.

Opportunities never increase, so be careful what you ask for.

Bachto

WKR

Oregons High buck is a draw.
I do agree with you mostly. for it make sense to me you would need to make the general season at least a week longer. I also find the Buck tags vs quality tags silly. Everything this state does is silly though.

Opportunities never increase......ding ding ding.

The reality is that hunting across the west is in a downward spiral and I dont know how/when /if it will come back. Tags are only going to get more difficult to draw as well as more expensive. Demand will continue to outpace the supply.

Hate to be a debbie downer but I've seen the writing on the wall for the last decade across the west. My motto is to try and draw tags each year and hunt while there is still decent opportunity. Social media, websites, technology have all contributed to a demand that will never be satisfied. While WA doesn't have the greatest of hunts at least its a state you know you can hunt in each and every year and if you put in the effort there are some good mature critters to chase around.

shedhunt

FNG
Good morning, new to Rokslide and have enjoyed reading this thread.
I had the privilege to hunt the high hunt in 95 as a teenager. Having zero experience hunting that type of terrain, it made it difficult to say the least.
We saw deer daily which kept our hopes high that we'd get a crack at a legal buck. However, the one thing that stood out to me on that hunt was the over abundance of blackbears that we saw every day.
I agree with what is being said, don't take away the HH, but managing the problems we have in our state to help the populations is what we need. More predator control across the board, is what I feel will make a better, quicker and more noticeable affect on our big game population.