Washington High Buck

Some nice bucks for sure. The deer definitely dont care about the PCT as a boundary thats for sure. Seen quite a few muleys west of it and quite a few blacktails east of it.

Jason277

WKR
I agree, the fact is Washington state doesn't seem to care about much in regards to healthy populations of anything including humans.
Even make it a draw so the animals get a break and hunters have a higher success without combat hunting.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Who’s been successful on the Washington high buck hunt? Specifically for blacktails? I’m going for the first time this year and want to see some big old blacktails killed up high
break a leg !!

Harvey_NW

WKR
This season needs to be ended if WA state really cares about their mule deer.

The population can't support it.
The success rate is like 1%..

*Edit* So I actually went and checked the statistics, per 2023 reports the success rates range from 2-8% for Glacier Peaks, Alpine Lakes, and Pasayten Wilderness areas. Those encompass units that are open for both the high buck hunt, and general season. 7 bucks total were reported taken by modern firearm out of the entire Pasayten Wilderness. 7.

There are 1,000 other ways I could think of to help support or improve deer populations, than to end this hunt.

Last edited:
Where is the success rate percentage posted? When I killed on opening day a few years ago my buddy said it was 4% but not sure where he pulled it from.

Being OTC and having been in areas that just get flooded with hunters I could see an argument to make it more selective to reduce pressure on summer range. But with the way WDFW is reducing opportunity elsewhere I won’t be pushing for it.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Where is the success rate percentage posted? When I killed on opening day a few years ago my buddy said it was 4% but not sure where he pulled it from.

Being OTC and having been in areas that just get flooded with hunters I could see an argument to make it more selective to reduce pressure on summer range. But with the way WDFW is reducing opportunity elsewhere I won’t be pushing for it.

*Edit* So I actually went and checked the statistics, per 2023 reports the success rates range from 2-8% for Glacier Peaks, Alpine Lakes, and Pasayten Wilderness areas. Those encompass units that are open for both the high buck hunt, and general season. 7 bucks total were reported taken by modern firearm out of the entire Pasayten Wilderness. 7.

There are 1,000 other ways I could think of to help support or improve deer populations, than to end this hunt.

Disagree but you do you. Shooting bucks during September and again in November with rifles is a big part of why our mule deer are where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to think limiting the HH would be a good idea. Now with declining opportunities not only in WA but across the west it should stay the same.

landis07

Lil-Rokslider
Disagree but you do you. Shooting bucks during September and again in November with rifles is a big part of why our mule deer are where they are.

I disagree it’s not hunters as it’s more of a lion problem, I not only hunt but I probably run the longest high mountain trapline in Washington from December to March and the number of lions throughout the entire elevation range is absolutely crazy and the amount of lion kills I find every winter is crazy
I’m not going to preach but if this state doesn’t get the predator’s from coyotes and bobcats to lions wolves and bear in control it will just get worse and worse and now you include Fisher and they hammer fawns with the best of them ,

I disagree it’s not hunters as it’s more of a lion problem, I not only hunt but I probably run the longest high mountain trapline in Washington from December to March and the number of lions throughout the entire elevation range is absolutely crazy and the amount of lion kills I find every winter is crazy
I’m not going to preach but if this state doesn’t get the predator’s from coyotes and bobcats to lions wolves and bear in control it will just get worse and worse and now you include Fisher and they hammer fawns with the best of them ,
I heard the Lion density down your way was getting bad, but haven't tooled around at elevation in the winter time to see the impacts first hand. Seen an unbelievable amount of coyote pups this year though, and an abnormal number of bobcats at lower elevation. Not good for sure...you knocking cats down regularly?

In other news, here's a couple WA bucks at ~6500', and then an after pic of the left buck. That old swayback was a badass buck, double split eye guards and splits on both G4's making him a 7x7. Never did see him again, but man what I wouldn't give to have seen him in his prime...

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 64

I agree that is the problem that got us here but also why the season can't be sustained. You are NOT going to get support from this commission or King County to ever manage predators effectively.