Want a canoe, know nothing about them

I'd like to get a canoe. Float, camp and fish down smaller, somewhat quick rivers. Possibly some lake use but not likely or often. Some duck hunting but for that it'll mostly just be walked beside and used to keep the kid and decoys in.

What type or style am I looking for? Aluminum, plastic or fiberglass? Will be transported on top of SUV and loaded up there, mostly with little to no help.

Any advice is appreciated.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
What's called a "Freighter" canoe.
17 feet, stem to stern
3 foot beam (widest part)
600 pound load capacity

We've got a 17' "AlumaCraft" we bought back in 1979.
We've never been disappointed for space or load capacity.
It's a little tough to handle in high winds on open water, but it can be done. Be prepared for an upper body workout! LOL!

Sadly, at 73 and 75, paddling a canoe isn't high on our list! 😉

Loper

WKR
I’ve got an Old Town Discovery that is 15+ ft. It’s made out of what appears to be a rotomolded plastic. It’s heavy and awkward for me to put it up on an SUV by myself, which is the reason I don’t use it much. It is extremely durable, but I think I’d prefer an aluminum canoe or a lightweight fiberglass one.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Will you be solo? Portaging much? Any flatwater? Price range?

I’d personally avoid aluminum and rotomolded plastic unless you’re only canoeing once in a blue moon. Yes, it’s practically bombproof, but it’s also super heavy and incredibly awkward to lug around, especially if you’re toting a bunch of gear too.

Based on what you said so far, consider used royalex boats like a Mad River Explorer or Old Town Penobscot. A royalex discovery or tripper would work too.

Butcher44

FNG
If you are thinking of using a trolling motor look into a scanoe. Flat back for the trolling motor, mine was some kind of plastic. I tried a briggs and stratton 5 hp on it once..

CMF

WKR
All I know is if your wife has never been in a canoe, you should first explain to her not to lunge over the side of it if she drops her fishing pole over the side. You should also have a plan should the canoe flip over after your wife lunges over the side for her fishing pole.
We spent a couple of weeks fishing out of a plastic one in Maine, but no other experience.

Lake canoes have a slight keel, which make them track better on flat water. Not desirable for a creek canoe which needs to turn quick. Two different animals.

check out this

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking for one of similar uses to yours but more lake and less river. Ended up buying a 16' novacraft prospector in fiberglass. I've used it quite a but and it's been great. 60 ish pounds so not to bad to throw on the truck.

Idaboy

WKR
We have an aluminum one, it's not that heavy. Like others said depends what you are going to use...if your not doing portages then I wouldn't worry about the weight. If you get a lighter weight type, would just research the durability. If you thing you will want to run a trolling motor, they do make some square stern canoes...otherwise they make adapters that you can clamp on canoe and then mount the motor

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Aluminum is noisy and cold but durable. Fiberglass/Kevlar is light and strong, but you'll feel bad banging it into rocks and paddling onto beaches. Much easier to move around by yourself though. Royalex used to be the standard but is no longer made. High-end plastic alternative is my favorite for rivers and beating around, but it is heavy. (I don't mean walmart rotomolded stuff, I mean whatever Mad River's top of the line is. Expect to pay more than $1,000.) You don't want a keel for a river boat. Take a look on craigslist if you just want to get your feet wet, as it were.

Mike 338

WKR
Canoeing is cool. I have a Nova Craft 16' Prospector. Mine is made in Royalex which I hear is no longer used. Royalex is kind'a heavy but handles in well in both flatwater and whitewater very well although it's shape leans more towards white water. Plenty of cargo space too. I use it almost exclusively solo. It's more or less a pickup truck and not a Ferrari. Generally speaking, I lean towards a hull material that you can drag across rocks. The hi-tech lighter materials don't lend themselves to the abuse an outdoorsman can dish out, but they definitely have their advantages.

Lots of people are happy with their Old Town's.

*zap*

WKR
to start out maybe look for an inexpensive aluminum one and see how that goes. Mine is an osage 17', $200 12 years ago used in the fall. With the popularity of kayaks you probably can get a good deal on an aluminum canoe even thou it is spring.

I load mine with the bottom down if it is not raining. 10X easier than with the bottom up. Mine is 70# and I handle it no issues....extra paddles and wear a life vest.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a Coleman canoe for 40 some years that has proven itself to be very tough. We used to go canoeing where portages were necessary. We could just drag the old Coleman canoe. And I have used it for moose hunting, have had to drag it through shallow water and drop it over beaver dams. I now use it for a freight sled out at our remote cabin. Pulling it behind a wheeler. Still floating. Although I did have to repair it with some bitathane rubber. Tough and lightweight, easy to load and have fun with

Attachments

• A5E47929-0FF4-4061-8F8D-022341F38EAF.jpeg
    A5E47929-0FF4-4061-8F8D-022341F38EAF.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220129_084335.jpg
    20220129_084335.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210313_073908.jpg
    20210313_073908.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 39

Smoke10

FNG
Id recommend finding a used one off the classifieds, craigslist, marketplace, etc. See how you like it and get used to it.
Some game & fish departments now have outdoor education centers where you might be able to try them to figure out what you like...

If you're wanting to camp out of it, Id recommend a canoe 15' to 17' long.
If you plan to do a lot of portaging with it, I'd definitely make sure it has a comfortable yoke.

For day trips/no portages, if you're kid is really young (<6 yrs), it might not hurt to have em sit on a bean bag in the middle of the canoe. My dad did that with my siblings & I until we learned balance and not to lean/move too fast. The bean bag would absorb the sudden movements and not rock the canoe.

I've mostly been on lakes in canoes. Very little small river experience. I don't know anything about fiberglass canoes.

My dad had a polyethylene 15' canoe growing up. I'd guess 50-60 lbs and the polymer bottom scratched easily. Never put a hole through it though. No yoke and was a pain to move around solo.

I have a 17', 1970s Alumacraft that weighs 60-65 lbs I found on craigslist. Mine has a good yoke for portaging and loading/unloading. Super comfortable to carry.
I transport mine on top of my pickup cab. I use 4 dense foam pieces to keep it from rubbing. It definitely is a workout, but as a younger guy, that's part of the fun for me.
If I had to make the decision again, I'd still pick aluminum

I also used aluminum canoes similar to mine on a 5 day trip in the boundary waters. Easily had enough space for 2 people per canoe w/ camping & fishing gear. Could fit 3 people per canoe that size, if you didn't have extra gear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_212022_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_212022_Gallery.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20240408_213547_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_213547_Gallery.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 21