Waiting for summer in the SE to end is the worst

I grew up in Texas - mostly East and South Texas. Went to college in "deep" East Texas (Nac) and I look back now and have no idea how I survived that heat and humidity for so long. I worked outside the entire time I went to school there, and have worked outside most of my career since. I'm now on the west side of Houston and the older I get the more this humidity just kills me. I can take the heat, but damn this humidity sux.

I do okay until about the first week of July, then by this time of the year I'm ready to just pick up everything I own and move the hell away from SE Texas.

Traveling to places NW of Texas (CO, ID, OR, etc.) this past summer sure didn't help.

How do you guys in the SE cope this time of year? I swear every year it's harder for me to take. Five more years and I'm out of here for good. I'll be retiring somewhere with a lot less humidity for starters.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Try west central AL between the Lux and the Tombigbee Rivers........humidity!!!! Early mornings, late evenings, nap in between......
From a line between Houston and Texarkana, all the way to the Atlantic, this time of year just plain sux. I can't believe I grew up here without air conditioning in the houses we lived in. Man I'm getting soft.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
We didn’t have central heat and A/C until I was 15. Had a box fan in a screened window…….yea, I’m soft at 42 now. 😂
Yup, box fan or if we had a fancy house, an attic fan. LOL For a while, we only had one box fan and all five of us kids and our mom would sleep in the living room on pads in front of that fan.

Ah those were the days... (not)

Virginia is about as humid as Florida right now, it was 90% at 11am yesterday with temps at 90! Luckily we don't have the sun intensity that Florida has, but it's as hot in the shade.

When I was a construction laborer in Alabama my trick was no AC allowed from leaving the house to the end of work. Seemed like any time I went inside or cranked the AC in the truck it was 2x hotter when I got back in the heat.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Virginia is about as humid as Florida right now, it was 90% at 11am yesterday with temps at 90! Luckily we don't have the sun intensity that Florida has, but it's as hot in the shade.
The humdity has been brutal this year. Yea, it's kept our top end temps down (we haven't seen 100 yet and I can't remember the last time we made it into August without hitting 100) but the heat indexes are still way up. I'd take 102 and dry over what we've been having. Nighttime temps are around 80-81 at midnight. Midnight!

OP
Newtosavage
We have out 3 months we stay inside just like up north..only difference ours are June, July, and August...

Like somebody else said early morning and late evening, if we don't have thunderstorms.
That is one way to look at it, although I've lived up North 2x and both times I found things to do in the winter. In fact, the further North I went, the more there was to do.

That said, I do still get in 9 holes (walking) some evenings right before sunset. Tough to do that with snow on the ground.

I just hate humidity with a passion. It makes every temperature worse, hot or cold.

It may sound weird but I love humidity. It makes my breathing feel much easier than hot stuff environments like Utah. Half the time when it's 95+ here, I feel like I'm going to die just from the dry oven like heat I'm breathing rather than the temperature itself.

I used to run 50-60 miles a week all summer long down in deep southern Illinois in the NF. Those sweats felt so good! Maybe I've just conditioned myself to it. Maybe as I get older and live here longer I'll become less find of humidity.

It is annoying sweating through clean shirts within 10 minutes of being outside there though haha.

OP
Newtosavage
It may sound weird but I love humidity. It makes my breathing feel much easier than hot stuff environments like Utah. Half the time when it's 95+ here, I feel like I'm going to die just from the dry oven like heat I'm breathing rather than the temperature itself.

I used to run 50-60 miles a week all summer long down in deep southern Illinois in the NF. Those sweats felt so good! Maybe I've just conditioned myself to it. Maybe as I get older and live here longer I'll become less find of humidity.

It is annoying sweating through clean shirts within 10 minutes of being outside there though haha.
I lived in southern IL (near Carbondale) for 6 years. Most people have no idea how hot and humid that part of IL is. LOL

Well I'm glad someone loves the humidity. :D

I took three showers in one day last weekend.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Summer everywhere except sitting on a tropical island in the shade of a palm tree with a cold beer in my hand sucks. We're on something like day 40 of miserable air quality stacked up with 95 degree heat. I think it was last Saturday, we had the worst air quality in the world.

Summer is by far my least favorite time of the year.

CorbLand

WKR
I cope with it by not living in places that you can drown on dry land.

I went to Arizona in March and it was 90 degrees. My wife was like "I love it here, we should move here." I told her "We?" "Yea, you can move here but I am not coming with you."

TX_Diver

WKR
Lived in Bay City for awhile, never got used to the humidity. In WI now and it's great. We've had 1 day this year that was actually humid and maybe 2-3 weeks above 90. Zero complaints from me aside from the pesky tornado warnings the last few days...

FLATHEAD

WKR
Preach!!!
I'm over near Mobile Bay. Africa Hot/Humidity!!!
Happens to me every Summer. Ready to pack up and move somewhere cold.
I love to be outside but its absolutely miserable right now.

Laramie

WKR
I lived close to Beaumont for several years due to work. I finally came to the conclusion that living down there wasn't worth what they were paying and moved North. No way I would ever do that again, regardless of the amount of money. I do miss the fishing though.

It's hot and humid in NC. I wake up a little after 5 to take advantage of the slightly cooler mornings.

Almost stepped on copperhead while scouting, got chiggers at a 3d shoot last week, and the mosquitoes about carry me away. Summer is getting old!

IMG_7380.JPEG

Last edited: