Vortex viper HS 2.5-10x44 vs Leupold vx3hd 3.5-10x40

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to upgrade from a crossfire 2 that came stock on my savage 110 hunter. (30-06) I’m currently a once per year western hunter with limited long range experience. I’m at a 300 yard max (assuming a good position to shoot from) with no dialing experience. I want a scope that holds zero first and foremost…and some better light gathering would be nice. I believe I’ve narrowed it down to these two, but open to advice and suggestions. I like that the vortex is $70 cheaper and I like the BDC reticle, but I like that leupold is made in USA and I hear good things about their glass (HD)…but has simple plex reticle (not paying an extra $200 for the illumination).

The NightForce SHV 3-10x42 is on the list as well, but at essentially double the cost. I just purchased a spotting scope here in the used marketplace and would like to upgrade other items in the hunting kit, so not sure I want to send that kind of money on a scope just yet…one that I likely can’t even use to its fullest potential.

Not to derail too much, but I will need new rings as well…pic rail mounted. Any advice there?

Thanks for the input.

Ian_Mac

FNG
I know everyone here gets a massive boner for things made in America which I’ll never quite understand, one of the most obese nations on the planet, doesn’t bode well for a highly motivated and detail oriented work force, just saying. My money goes to viper 2.5-10 HS. I speak from experience, I’ve had it mounted on my tikka 270 since they first introduced that model of viper and it’s been through some of the toughest weather and terrain in North America, from Northwest Territories to Alberta and -40 Celsius to +30 in snow, sleet hail and downpours and it had never required a re zero and it tracks perfectly. Just shot 2 elk this year at 480 yards and 420 yards so it’s capable of long range, the 10x is plenty. The glass isn’t out of this world but for its price range I’ve never found it lacking and I have never lost a single animal from moose to deer to elk to bear the scope is just tough and dependable. I don’t think it’s worth the extra to go Leupold and yes I have owned Leupolds, a mark 4 to be exact and it wasn’t anything special, the glass was mediocre. Don’t drink the Merica! Coolaid, it means less and less these days with everyone’s QC improving, I’d almost bet my money on a more motivated work force in the Philippines to be honest. I loved mine so much I bought my dad the same scope the year after I got mine and same story, he’s taken exactly 7 shots with his 25-06, 6 deer and 1 bear, same results totally dependable.

I want a scope that holds zero first and foremost…and some better light gathering would be nice. I believe I’ve narrowed it down to these two, but open to advice and suggestions.

Because of your first priority I would look into some of Trijicon’s offerings. And because of wanting better light gathering the Credo 2.5-10x56 might be worth looking into. It’s on sale at Euro right now.

I prefered the viper over vx3i I had. Not sure how much better the 3HD is over the i but it would need tons of improvement.

I do agree with the trijicon statement, but I have no idea why they’re so obsessed with such an obnoxious objective size. My 44s get the job done with out going ridiculous. They just look stupid and force the user to raise the scope more than they need.

Ian_Mac

FNG
Very good point, 50mm is as large as you want to go on a hunting rifle. I just purchased a Steiner predator 4 that was on sale, the glass is quite excellent and the field of view demolishes the viper and in low light it’s a bit brighter than the Viper at equivalent magnification but that’s comparing 50mm vs 44 so not an apples to apples comparison. We’ll see if it tracks as well as the Viper, time will tell.

I gotta wonder if all the Leupold coolaid drinkers have done an actual low light comparison between the different brands, I have them all and have personally done a comparison and the Viper keeps up at low light where it’s useable for hunting purposes, the reticle is still visible in all but the darkest timber and at that point you’d need illumination regardless of brand and it’s past legal shooting time in most areas by then for sure anyway.

This obsession with Merica! Is why America is going to lose the next major war to China, you can’t wish something into existence that isn’t there, Leupolds are decent optics, they’re overpriced for what they deliver compared to the competition and the made in America stamp means zero in the field where the rubber meets the road, maybe at one time it meant something but nowadays the gap is so close it’s irrelevant. As long as you chest beating Americans realize this and are strictly supporting things made in America to support your fellow countrymen and not because you think it somehow means it’s better quality that’s fine but keep it real ya’ll, your competitive edge is gone and now all you’re doing is paying bloated prices for that made in America stamp.

Very good point, 50mm is as large as you want to go on a hunting rifle. I just purchased a Steiner predator 4 that was on sale, the glass is quite excellent and the field of view demolishes the viper and in low light it’s a bit brighter than the Viper at equivalent magnification but that’s comparing 50mm vs 44 so not an apples to apples comparison. We’ll see if it tracks as well as the Viper, time will tell.

I gotta wonder if all the Leupold coolaid drinkers have done an actual low light comparison between the different brands, I have them all and have personally done a comparison and the Viper keeps up at low light where it’s useable for hunting purposes, the reticle is still visible in all but the darkest timber and at that point you’d need illumination regardless of brand and it’s past legal shooting time in most areas by then for sure anyway.

This obsession with Merica! Is why America is going to lose the next major war to China, you can’t wish something into existence that isn’t there, Leupolds are decent optics, they’re overpriced for what they deliver compared to the competition and the made in America stamp means zero in the field where the rubber meets the road, maybe at one time it meant something but nowadays the gap is so close it’s irrelevant. As long as you chest beating Americans realize this and are strictly supporting things made in America to support your fellow countrymen and not because you think it somehow means it’s better quality that’s fine but keep it real ya’ll, your competitive edge is gone and now all you’re doing is paying bloated prices for that made in America stamp.
Ian you only have 4 posts and each one has something Anti American included in them. Really seems like America is living rent free in your head. Maybe a largely American hunting forum isn't the best place for you to express your views on. Quality info is always welcome but lets try to keep the bitching about another country to a minimum

Ian_Mac

FNG
Ian you only have 4 posts and each one has something Anti American included in them. Really seems like America is living rent free in your head. Maybe a largely American hunting forum isn't the best place for you to express your views on. Quality info is always welcome but lets try to keep the bitching about another country to a minimum
You do realize how many posts dismiss every other optic because they’re not made in America right? I think it’s very relevant to the discussion, You can’t even get past first base without Bubba weighing in on how if it ain’t made in America it’s crap, it’s not bitching it’s actually demonstrable with a simple search. I have offered experienced based info and I also felt it important to state the obvious as well. Truth should rule the day.

I find that to not be true actually. I see many folks on here touting how well the optics from LOW in Japan are excellent optics and built like tanks. Not too mention all the posts speaking so highly of European glass. Yes it should be expected for people to be a fan of things built in their own country. But to say we dismiss anything not built here just isn't true

Ian_Mac

FNG
I find that to not be true actually. I see many folks on here touting how well the optics from LOW in Japan are excellent optics and built like tanks. Not too mention all the posts speaking so highly of European glass. Yes it should be expected for people to be a fan of things built in their own country. But to say we dismiss anything not built here just isn't true
There’s MANY MANY posts demonstrating what I’ve mentioned, to deny is comical. Yes unbiased people know that European glass is superior to US made optics most is the time and many Japanese products are too, but there’s a lot of die hards who will still state, hand on bible that they only use American made products and that they’re superior and it’s annoying if we’re trying to have unbiased, fact based discussions is my point especially with people actually seeking the truth. Same goes for trucks, same goes for many thing American. I know it hurts but facts don’t care about your feelings, I’m just trying to get to the truth and there’s a lot of bubbas on here standing in the way of that with their close minded ignorance.

three5x5s

WKR
There’s MANY MANY posts demonstrating what I’ve mentioned, to deny is comical. Yes unbiased people know that European glass is superior to US made optics most is the time and many Japanese products are too, but there’s a lot of die hards who will still state, hand on bible that they only use American made products and that they’re superior and it’s annoying if we’re trying to have unbiased, fact based discussions is my point especially with people actually seeking the truth. Same goes for trucks, same goes for many thing American. I know it hurts but facts don’t care about your feelings, I’m just trying to get to the truth and there’s a lot of bubbas on here standing in the way of that with their close minded ignorance.
Sorry. Could you help me out, I'm a little fat and unmotivated and missed the definition of "bubbas.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Got a little derailed here didn’t we? Haha

So just to add, I happened upon the Trijicon Huron line… price point is right there with the leupold and vortex as mentioned above. I like the reticle, capped turrets, simple pimple scope. I think that’s what I’m going to go with. Trijicon has a reputation of being a bulletproof scope. This line is made in Japan (matters to some, preferred by others)

Thank you all for chiming in

As long as we are putting facts out there, lets not ignore the fact that Vortex products fail fantastically a high percentage of the time. While your experience with one scope might not reflect that, the majority of people on the site does. I have only owned 2 Vortex products and both failed, a spotting scope that went blurry and a rangefinder that wouldnt range after about a year. I wont waste another cent on a Vortex product and cringe when friends use anything Vortex, knowing it is only a matter of time before it fails. Leupold fail as well. While I have a couple scopes that are on rifles that have seen easy use and are holding up for now, I feel like its going to happen at some point. I had a VX3I 4-14 on a Tikka 300 wm and it ended up with a wandering zero, no matter how many times I adjusted it, it would dance around the bullseye by 3-4 inches. That gun now wears a Nightforce SHV and has been solid.

To the OP, I would really weigh the pros and cons of the Vortex and Leupold options. Do you want to come out west on a trip and have a scope sh!t the bed on you over a couple hundred bucks? To me its not worth it. The SHV 3-10 would be and is my choice. I have one on a 6.5 prc and that gun saw the nastiest, rockiest roads I have ever been on this year and held up great.

Ian_Mac

FNG

So just to add, I happened upon the Trijicon Huron line… price point is right there with the leupold and vortex as mentioned above. I like the reticle, capped turrets, simple pimple scope. I think that’s what I’m going to go with. Trijicon has a reputation of being a bulletproof scope. This line is made in Japan (matters to some, preferred by others)

But But….Merica!! That scope will definitely let you down…Merica!

On a serious note, well done for thinking outside the box, sounds like a fine choice.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Quite the splash since joining, rolling pretty deep going after "the site" and biases as a brand new member?

As far as I can follow, you've gotten into trucks, war with china, feelings, insulted people, something about getting to "the truth" as if there is some how a conspiracy against non-US companies supported on this site?

This is a forum on gear, tactics, etc - please go review the rules. It is pretty simple; no one wants this forum turning into a cesspool. I would suggest respecting the members or "bubbas." If you can't do that, I'm quite sure @Ryan Avery or @robby denning can still operate the Ban hammer with relative ease. Stick to the optics and experience, leave the drama.

I think this is a much better option than your original two, makes a lot of sense for the niche you are looking to fill

Ian_Mac

FNG
Quite the splash since joining, rolling pretty deep going after "the site" and biases as a brand new member?

As far as I can follow, you've gotten into trucks, war with china, feelings, insulted people, something about getting to "the truth" as if there is some how a conspiracy against non-US companies supported on this site?

This is a forum on gear, tactics, etc - please go review the rules. It is pretty simple; no one wants this forum turning into a cesspool. I would suggest respecting the members or "bubbas." If you can't do that, I'm quite sure @Ryan Avery or @robby denning can still operate the Ban hammer with relative ease. Stick to the optics and experience, leave the drama.
Haha typical, straight to ban…no shock there. I was/am sticking to optics and experience and was attempting to break down the bias. I will tone it down, I can see it’s triggering

You do realize how many posts dismiss every other optic because they’re not made in America right? I think it’s very relevant to the discussion, You can’t even get past first base without Bubba weighing in on how if it ain’t made in America it’s crap, it’s not bitching it’s actually demonstrable with a simple search. I have offered experienced based info and I also felt it important to state the obvious as well. Truth should rule the day.

If you have read posts about optics on this forum I don't understand how you or anyone else would come to the conclusion it's American made or nothing. There are 3 brands that a lot of posters are recommending now and its because of the drop tests being done. Right or wrong those 3 brands are NF, SWFA, and Trij. I am not 100% but of those 3 I believe only 1 of those is made in America. When it comes to bino's or spotters I would say the main brand brought up is Swaro. Zeiss is also popular on here in the bino department. Maven is pretty popular also. Are any of those American made?

When it comes to rangefinders I would say Sig is probably the most popular. Is that American made?

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
But But….Merica!! That scope will definitely let you down…Merica!

On a serious note, well done for thinking outside the box, sounds like a fine choice.
😂😂😂
Made in Japan… not gonna lie, does feel better than made in Chhyyyyynnnuh.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is a much better option than your original two, makes a lot of sense for the niche you are looking to fill
I’m glad I came across that line from Trijicon. First and foremost is a rugged reliable scope that will hold zero..this should fit that bill.