Vortex viper HS 2.5-10x44 vs Leupold vx3hd 3.5-10x40

I’m glad I came across that line from Trijicon. First and foremost is a rugged reliable scope that will hold zero..this should fit that bill.
I have a few Trijicon scopes. I haven't used them enough to say they are super robust or not. The Trijicon thermal I had though I used a ton and the thing was a tank. I figure if they can manufacture an electronic device to hold zero, it's not a stretch to think they can manufacture a mechanical device to hold zero also.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You do realize how many posts dismiss every other optic because they’re not made in America right? I think it’s very relevant to the discussion, You can’t even get past first base without Bubba weighing in on how if it ain’t made in America it’s crap, it’s not bitching it’s actually demonstrable with a simple search. I have offered experienced based info and I also felt it important to state the obvious as well. Truth should rule the day.
You joined up and right out the gate you’re throwing elbows at the other members. Sharing different opinions and experiences in a mutually respectful manner is how we like to operate here.

Ian_Mac

FNG
You joined up and right out the gate you’re throwing elbows at the other members. Sharing different opinions and experiences in a mutually respectful manner is how we like to operate here.
I’m not throwing elbows at all, just trying to neutralize the blind patriotic drivel that clouds everyone’s judgement, you need to relax if that’s not you. If it is then I’d say you’re the one with the issue, not me. I’m here for open, non biased dialogue but I’ve seen so many posts with bubba’s just blabbing away about things and when confront with facts and data their rebuttal is….Merica! It’s hilarious and annoying all at the same time. Gotta thank Hollywood for brainwashing a population so thoroughly but yeah I just felt it necessary to express that point. Let’s move on.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not throwing elbows at all, just trying to neutralize the blind patriotic drivel that clouds everyone’s judgement, you need to relax if that’s not you. If it is then I’d say you’re the one with the issue, not me. I’m here for open, non biased dialogue but I’ve seen so many posts with bubba’s just blabbing away about things and when confront with facts and data their rebuttal is….Merica! It’s hilarious and annoying all at the same time. Gotta thank Hollywood for brainwashing a population so thoroughly but yeah I just felt it necessary to express that point. Let’s move on.
In the beginning of your first comment on this thread, you had to bring up obesity in America. That had zero bearing on anything. I will agree with you that we’re moving on, but we are moving on without you.

I’m glad I came across that line from Trijicon. First and foremost is a rugged reliable scope that will hold zero..this should fit that bill.
Yeah, absolutely! I was a leupold guy for quite awhile, and the only one I recall that didn’t need adjustments regularly (on zero) besides an older fixed 4x that I didn’t have all that long, but I didn’t have to touch it after initial sight in.

Moving forward, never again unless they figure it out and some time verifies it… vortex I have even less faith in, seems constant with anything they build, and they have nothing that sets them apart besides a good warranty.

I didn’t even want to reply to this thread because I couldn’t find the words to give input without sounding bias, and I’m glad you ended up where you did.

It’s actually been easier scope shopping though, considering there are only a small handful of companies I will consider. The options narrow even further for me, because I really don’t want to spend over 1500$ on a scope, so scope shopping is pretty easy these days… there will always be compromise, we just have to figure out what compromise makes most sense to us.

Props to those who have been putting reliability ahead of everything (within reason) and making that the highlight of reviews, I pretty much figured scopes need to be rezeroed fairly often in some use, and I’m glad that’s not true, and I hope the pressure starts making the bigger names build in reliability… my last 2 scopes haven’t been touched in regards to zero, and that’s cool

Hard pass on the viper. Mine has been back to vortex twice and I still hats it will live on a 22 now. The warranty you will use! The object was hard to turn. I was told I need to use it more. Sons 22 don't need to move the object. Don't look past a Ziess v4. In about the same price range.

From my experience I've spent more than $70 on re-zeroing the rifle 2 more times, wasting my time taking the scope on and off, and wasting my time taking it to Scheels! This is my experience and I won't buy Vortex.

I can’t speak to the Vortex or Trijicon (not knocking them) but can to the Leupold. One VX III, one VX 3, one VX 3i and one VX3 HD. One of these scopes is over 25 years old. I’ve never had a problem with any of them.
Bubba

TheHammer

WKR
My experience and opinion is a little less popular around here… but…. I wouldn’t hesitate to grab a viper hs 2.5-10. It is easily my favorite scope. What’s funny is the first one I bought was purchased to replace a luepold vx5 that lost zero on a hunting trip. I have a handful of them now I actually prefer the non bdc version if you can locate one. After helping a good buddy with his vx3 nightmares, it’s clear I’ll never own another luepold… I’ve had more rounds with my vortex’s in more abusive situations then the latter and I’m happy with those little hs aiming devices. Honestly if you have a place nearby to go look through the scopes you are considering maybe that’ll help you decide what you are after, I hope whatever you purchase serves you well and doesn’t become a negative thread. * I’ve heard a lot of opinions but I’ve never heard a wrong one.