Vortex Binos

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
...there IS a difference between them, whether you can see it or not. The longer you spend behind them, the more you’ll see the difference.
This is what I discovered earlier this year and it really helps to initially do comparisons with some strong colors and high contrast areas to make differences stand out. Once you see it, it's hard not to notice any more.

I haven’t tried the UHD but I have two Razor spotters and I think they are way under appreciated on this forum. And they are a huge upgrade over the vipers spotter. With that in mind I was able to get a great deal on a set of razor hd binos for a friend who was about to buy vipers. Figured it was worth the extra money considering my discount.

boy was I wrong. On a tripod I have compared my dads diamondbacks, my vipers and his razor to my SLCs and the Vipers were the best of the three vortex’s for the money. I didn’t run the vipers and razors side by side to say for sure which was better but comparing them to my SLCs I don’t think I gave up anymore with the vipers than I did with the razors. Super close.

Could be a bad copy of the razors, could be a great copy of the vipers? Either way, I personally would step up or down from the Razor. Either get vipers or go alpha.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Swarovski SLC’s other than the 15x56’s have been discontinued for over two years now.

Supposedly, the Kahles Helia S 42’s are the same binocular.

Also, Rokslide post on Swarovski SLC’s being discontinued from December 2021:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/swarovski-slc-kahles-helia-s.246128/

True, but u can find em on the used market. I hear the Kowa Genesis are also basically the SLCs. But the Helia's certainly look like the SLCs and they're Kahles which is owned by Swaro.

I'm just saying for the $1500 range of binos, Swaro SLCs many consider are the best.

True, but u can find em on the used market. I hear the Kowa Genesis are also basically the SLCs. But the Helia's certainly look like the SLCs and they're Kahles which is owned by Swaro.

I'm just saying for the $1500 range of binos, Swaro SLCs many consider are the best.

True, but you can get used Vortex Razor UHD’s for less than $1,000 too.

If I had $1,000 to spend on a pair of binos I would buy the Leica Trinovid. They are $1000 brand new with all of the years of Leica alpha glass technology put in to them.

I wouldn't use Vortex even if it was given to me.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
True, but you can get used Vortex Razor UHD’s for less than $1,000 too.

Absolutely you can, I think if someone's looking new or used in the $1500 range, go SLCs every day & twice on Sunday.

For the $1000 range, then look at:
Kowa Genesis
Meopa
Zeiss Conquest
Vortex Razor
Leica Trinovud
Maven
(Or used Swaro for a grand)

Heck, if your really patient and/or lucky even some of the used Swaro ELs you can find close to $1,500

If you watch you can pick up Swarovski slc 2010 or newer in great shape for $1300-$1500 range on here. Vortex razor uhd glass is waaaaaay better than the regular vortex razor glass, imho there is no comparison. I would put vortex uhd glass pretty close to Swarovski slc, but I like the slc better. Depending on where you hunt I like the 8x42 range seems much easier to stabilize while glassing

gearguywb

WKR
Leica and Swaro. Can't go wrong wither direction. As others have said, spend some time looking through them as everyone's perception is a bit different.

Buzby

WKR
I would only buy the Razor UHD used or refurbed. Full retail price, they are more than good used Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, Meopta

Now I don’t have UHD. I do own Razors, SLCs, and b1.1 Meoptas. The 2 euros are head and shoulders above the Razor HD. Sometimes it’s hard to tell side by side. In actual hunting use the SLC just seem to give me more info. And I can see into the future with the Meopta 15s

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I agree the used/refurbished market is the way to go, given a transferable warranty. Hard to go wrong with SLC's or UHD's in the 1K range.
I would only buy the Razor UHD used or refurbed. Full retail price, they are more than good used Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, Meopta

Now I don’t have UHD. I do own Razors, SLCs, and b1.1 Meoptas. The 2 euros are head and shoulders above the Razor HD. Sometimes it’s hard to tell side by side. In actual hunting use the SLC just seem to give me more info. And I can see into the future with the Meopta 15s
Agreed. I bought my refurbished UHD's for 1K from AA Optics. They were 100% new. No reason to pay more. I have many binoculars and firmly believe the UHD's are ranked among the finest in the world optically.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like Swarovski still on top
That answer varies by user though and Zeiss, Leica, Meopta and even a handful of others all have their supporters, very often with the equation being based not only on the brand, but changing with various magnifications and model lines.

If someone wants to buy an expensive binocular, or a cheap one even, it's best to listen to the recommendations of others,. then go and verify for yourself.