Vivo forest tracker esc durability

OP
H
Great reminder to me that I didn’t get the Renapur. Will this work just as well?View attachment 489401

Let me know how that works. I've been deciding between that and the renapur. The nikwax I tried wore off after 2 days and was tough to get rubbed in. I don't think it was the right leather type for nikwax to work it's best.

I haven't tried my Crispi Cream (see what I did there?) on my Vivos ... it seemed to work okay on the Crispis, so you could give it a go.

However, I'd have to say that after using about seven boot leather treatments over many years, there's something about the Renapur that seems to work better than the others. I can't see on their website what it's made from, but it's easier to apply than some (such as Sno-Seal), doesn't change the colour of the leather badly (like some of the NikWax options), and soaks in well.

Here's from the renapur website:

"Our formula of waxes and oils, such as Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba oil and Avocado oil, has really stood the test of time – used by millions of people around the world since 1988."

Have you tried the renapur on a different boot? I'd like to see a side by side comparison with the renapur. Others have said the boots are very water resistant on their own.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Let me know how that works. I've been deciding between that and the renapur. The nikwax I tried wore off after 2 days and was tough to get rubbed in. I don't think it was the right leather type for nikwax to work it's best.

"Our formula of waxes and oils, such as Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba oil and Avocado oil, has really stood the test of time – used by millions of people around the world since 1988."

Have you tried the renapur on a different boot? I'd like to see a side by side comparison with the renapur. Others have said the boots are very water resistant on their own.
I just ordered the Renapur. I will try it on one boot and the Crispi on the other.

Dobermann

WKR

Thanks - I thought I'd remembered seeing this somewhere, and was intrigued by the use of carnuba wax and jojoba oil ...

Perhaps one of the reasons Renapur seems to work better than some of the older beeswax versions (such as SnoSeal) is that they're commonly a beeswax and oil mix. My guess - and it's a total guess -is that the Carnuba wax is what is contributing to the "shedding" of mud I'm seeing in use (beeswax can be more soft and sticky), and the jojoba *might* help with the absorbency (I don't have to polish off any excess, as I do with other wax blends.

Again, these are just guesses. And I imagine it's been covered in some of European hiking forums ... I'm not that interested in getting into the weeds on it; just happy that it works better than what I've used before, so just getting on with it.:)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
8 more elk (9 total so far) this year packing out/carrying out with the Vivos. Over half of the people I hunt with are using them now. They are the best shoes I’ve worn for mountain hunting.

The Tracker Forest ESC and Inov-8 Roclites make up about 90% of the shoes/boots worn with my hunting group.

Has anyone besides Formidilosus bought and worn out a pair of these boots?

I’ve got a year and half on mine, 5-6 deer, 11 elk packed out, around 250’ish days in the mountains. Now I don’t yard the laces down tight, in fact they’re quite loose generally, but no issues with them.

View attachment 465731
Maybe it’s just the angle of the image, but that is some pretty remarkable durability. What sort of terrain had you been using these in? I tear up everything from scarpas to merrels to sauconys in a lot fewer days.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If it wasn't obvious before, I have some serious problems. My next Vivo Tracker question - why don't they make these Trackers in shoes - not boots?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
They kind of do, though I would like them lower.
I see it now. The Magna Forest ESC? The default color on my phone made it look (to me) too much like a sneaker. And I see how it could be a little lower.

sndmn11

WKR
I see it now. The Magna Forest ESC? The default color on my phone made it look (to me) too much like a sneaker. And I see how it could be a little lower.

The tongue is merino rather than leather. I think some folks here, possibly @BBob ?, have had success with them.

My plan was to try a pair of Roclites before the Magnas, and the former are working out.

BBob

WKR
I do have a pair of Magna's. The upper knitted collar and tongue area is a stretchy fabric they call Woolmark merino and the rest of the inside is lined with some sort of perforated sock type liner. Wearing them with a mid weight merino sock they were fine throughout the summer and not too hot. More foot protection than the thin soled Gobi's. I'd say the Magna is a light hiker and not really a shoe. Kind of in between a shoe and a boot. I wore them in CO elk, mule deer, goat country and all over AZ NM so far. I wear them like I do the Gobi's with laces not too tight. If you tighten them up like people tend to do with regular boots the inner eyelet will dig into your ankle. Wear them loose and get used to it. It'll be fine I promise :)

Zaubr306

FNG
8 more elk (9 total so far) this year packing out/carrying out with the Vivos. Over half of the people I hunt with are using them now. They are the best shoes I’ve worn for mountain hunting.

The Tracker Forest ESC and Inov-8 Roclites make up about 90% of the shoes/boots worn with my hunting group.
Appreciate the info! Definitely leaning towards getting some for my upcoming 10 day ek hunt. I only wear barefoot shoes outside of hunting so my feet should be fine.

How were they for sizing? Heard mixed things about them.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Appreciate the info! Definitely leaning towards getting some for my upcoming 10 day ek hunt. I only wear barefoot shoes outside of hunting so my feet should be fine.

They fit like all the other barefoot shoes I use. Because of my feet and how they work now, I’m sizing isn’t that big of a deal. Too small is a no go, but even a bit too large is completely fine. I don’t tie shoes even snug at all, so them being loose doesn’t really matter.

Dobermann

WKR

I've had complete success downloading their sizing chart.

Make sure you line up your heel accurately, and measure both feet. Follow their instructions for using the longer foot, and adding the extra length they suggest.

If in between sizes, go up.

This has worked for all four members of my family, without fail.

BBob

WKR
I wear 44 or 11’s in almost everything. No different for any of the Vivo’s. I have 3 different styles of them and they are all 44. The Magna’s run a hair bigger than the Gobi and whatever the other ones are but that’s fine because I wear a thicker merino sock with them. Slightly larger is no big deal and kind of what your going for with this type of shoe anyway. Both my Gobi’s and the Magna’s are loose ish but exactly what I want.

Insoles:

Has anyone tried aftermarket insoles with the Trackers? The one that comes with is super thin with no structure. I generally prefer a more padded insole for long distance comfort in the mountains. Does adding this type of insole defeat the purpose of this design?

I am a true 8.5. In boots I wear a 9 to accommodate an insole and Darn Tough socks. The Vivo guide put me at an 8. Wearing a thin wool sock, a synthetic liner with the stock insole, I feel my foot is a bit cramped in height. Going to try a size 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braaap

WKR
Insoles:

Has anyone tried aftermarket insoles with the Trackers? The one that comes with is super thin with no structure. I generally prefer a more padded insole for long distance comfort in the mountains. Does adding this type of insole defeat the purpose of this design?

I am a true 8.5. In boots I wear a 9 to accommodate an insole and Darn Tough socks. The Vivo guide put me at an 8. Wearing a thin wool sock, a synthetic liner with the stock insole, I feel my foot is a bit cramped in height. Going to try a size 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my opinion yes a padded insole defeats the purpose. Once you start wearing them you’ll realize the insole they come with are great. Like Form has mentioned don’t lace them tight. I wear a single medium weight darn tough sock with mine.

I normally wear a 9.5 but I’m a 9 in the trackers. The vivo foot measurement with a phone worked perfectly.

OP
H
Yup. All the padding I need in them is my socks.

I used their foot measurement tool on the website and it worked great. You just have to follow the instructions closely