Vivo forest tracker esc durability

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
They fit like all the other barefoot shoes I use. Because of my feet and how they work now, I’m sizing isn’t that big of a deal. Too small is a no go, but even a bit too large is completely fine. I don’t tie shoes even snug at all, so them being loose doesn’t really matter.
You have posted a few times about not tightly lacing these and other minimalist shoes. At first I was confused as to how that works, as I experienced some heel rubbing that was only solved by tightening the laces. But now I think I've figured out that when my stride changes and reduces the heel strike force, there is less of a chafing, and it makes sense that it doesn't matter that the laces are loose. Am I right?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You have posted a few times about not tightly lacing these and other minimalist shoes. At first I was confused as to how that works, as I experienced some heel rubbing that was only solved by tightening the laces. But now I think I've figured out that when my stride changes and reduces the heel strike force, there is less of a chafing, and it makes sense that it doesn't matter that the laces are loose. Am I right?

Generally that’s pretty close. I’m sure my stride has been altered with minimal shoes compared to stiff shoes.

Dobermann

WKR
I normally wear a 9.5 but I’m a 9 in the trackers. The vivo foot measurement with a phone worked perfectly.
Glad to hear that worked for you ...

For everyone else, the photo/phone option is sometimes more prominent on their site, but some hazards.

I'd recommend finding the sizing chart that you print out (just make sure you double-check it with their printed scale), and actually mark and measure your feet on it.

You have to do both feet, as many people's are different lengths. It's a bit fiddly - but it works.

Dobermann

WKR
I now can't remember if someone linked a video in this thread about barefoot running and its change to stride, but there are heaps of examples out there.

I think the general summary is smaller stride. quicker, and more flat-footed / more on the ball than the heel, if anything.

I used to run in barefoot shoes every day off track, often on inclines with loose gravel and rocks ... my stride changed immensely, but I had no falls and twisted ankles vs with regular running shoes or boots.

To be honest, it felt constrained and frustrating coming from having used a long stride / heel-toe form before ... some people talks about having to push through that and re-learning to walk/run again.

After that, it's hard to go back to "normal" shoes or boots - especially when Vivo do offer so many different options. I track run in one kind of Vivos, wear regular Trackers every day to work, and Tracker ESCs for hiking and trail running. Boom.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I now can't remember if someone linked a video in this thread about barefoot running and its change to stride, but there are heaps of examples out there.

I think the general summary is smaller stride. quicker, and more flat-footed / more on the ball than the heel, if anything.

I used to run in barefoot shoes every day off track, often on inclines with loose gravel and rocks ... my stride changed immensely, but I had no falls and twisted ankles vs with regular running shoes or boots.

To be honest, it felt constrained and frustrating coming from having used a long stride / heel-toe form before ... some people talks about having to push through that and re-learning to walk/run again.

After that, it's hard to go back to "normal" shoes or boots - especially when Vivo do offer so many different options. I track run in one kind of Vivos, wear regular Trackers every day to work, and Tracker ESCs for hiking and trail running. Boom.
Thanks. Yeah, if I’m running at this point it’s because someone is chasing me. Too bad on my knees. But I have looked into some of the videos on the change in stride walking. I wish I had a pair of them on now instead of these - although loose tying the laces helps a bit. image.jpg

How well do the boots do against all the plants that want to poke through your shoes, or in muddy conditions? I usually wear Altras or loafers, they're cushioned but not supportive, but without decent boots I always track mud or get pricked up in the feet real good.

I just returned from a search and rescue mission where both pairs of my goretex lined boots failed (2018 Salomon Quest and Danner Pronghorns), leading to soggy/wet/cold feet. It’s been pouring for weeks here and yesterday was no exception with a bit of wet slushy snow for good measure. I’ve been wearing Altra Lone Peaks as my normal shoe for 2 years now and ready to try something different for boots.

We were busting through some nasty blowdown in a drainage. It was wet, everything was coated in moss. Ankle deep water crossings frequently. The kind of stuff you would probably go around if you were hunting but we needed to go through it. I need a boot that will keep me dry and have great traction, are the Forest Tracker ESC’s the real deal? If so, anyone have a 25% referral code they can send my way?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I just returned from a search and rescue mission where both pairs of my goretex lined boots failed (2018 Salomon Quest and Danner Pronghorns), leading to soggy/wet/cold feet. It’s been pouring for weeks here and yesterday was no exception with a bit of wet slushy snow for good measure. I’ve been wearing Altra Lone Peaks as my normal shoe for 2 years now and ready to try something different for boots.

We were busting through some nasty blowdown in a drainage. It was wet, everything was coated in moss. Ankle deep water crossings frequently. The kind of stuff you would probably go around if you were hunting but we needed to go through it. I need a boot that will keep me dry and have great traction, are the Forest Tracker ESC’s the real deal? If so, anyone have a 25% referral code they can send my way?

More than likely nothing but rubber will stay dry.

However, they have done significantly better than any Goretex shoe I have tried.

BBob

WKR
The ESC soles aren’t the best I’ve ever used on slick rocks, polished stream bed rocks, wet rocks, mossy rocks. You’ll manage but lots of Vibram I’ve had have been better. If I have to do a technical rock approach I’m not wearing them unless it’s short and not too technical. It’s rained and snowed the last few days here. I walked in ankle deep or so water in my Magna’s off and on all afternoon and evening yesterday and the leather continued to keep my feet dry. Got a little damp above the ankle at the top of the stretchy collar.

sneek-ee

WKR
The ESC soles aren’t the best I’ve ever used on slick rocks, polished stream bed rocks, wet rocks, mossy rocks. You’ll manage but lots of Vibram I’ve had have been better. If I have to do a technical rock approach I’m not wearing them unless it’s short and not too technical. It’s rained and snowed the last few days here. I walked in ankle deep or so water in my Magna’s off and on all afternoon and evening yesterday and the leather continued to keep my feet dry. Got a little damp above the ankle at the top of the stretchy collar.
What wide zero drop type shoe are you using in place of the vivos in those conditions? That have a better, vibram type sole? Curious on other options out there for the wet slick stuff with better traction? I'm looking for something and am shopping around! What other options are out on the market with this style of shoe? Thanks!

BBob

WKR
What wide zero drop type shoe are you using in place of the vivos in those conditions?
For intermittent wet streams and such on hunts I just deal with the ESC soles. It isn’t that big of a deal once you know the limitations and they aren’t terrible. I use trekking poles a lot so they help on wet slimy crossings in Vivo’s or Vibram. For rock approaches I keep threatening to grind the soles and glue some sticky dot rubber to a pair of Gobi’s or maybe a Magna FG. I and another friend went back to regular rock approach shoes for now.

Dobermann

WKR
If so, anyone have a 25% referral code they can send my way?
If you sign up for Vivo's newsletter, 20% off sales are relatively frequent, with 30% happening at least once or twice a year.

Also, if you simply do an internet search, you'll likely find a 30% code somewhere. They're often on obscure health and fitness sites, but come up in some of the coupon aggregator sites.

Whichever way you go, make sure you're ordering from a genuine Vivo Barefoot website - there are a lot of fake sites out there (Vivo list dozens of them on their website).

Braaap

WKR
If you sign up for Vivo's newsletter, 20% off sales are relatively frequent, with 30% happening at least once or twice a year.

Also, if you simply do an internet search, you'll likely find a 30% code somewhere. They're often on obscure health and fitness sites, but come up in some of the coupon aggregator sites.

Whichever way you go, make sure you're ordering from a genuine Vivo Barefoot website - there are a lot of fake sites out there (Vivo list dozens of them on their website).
I would also suggest paying the $10 for 5 day shipping. Otherwise it can take several weeks.

Bbell12

WKR
Anyone have a discount code for vivobarefoot? Looking to buy a pair of the Gobi's for a knock around shoe.

Bbell12

WKR
Got one thanks to @Firth.

The Tracker ESC's have been my favorite boots I've ever worn. I actually like them so much that I'm transitioning all of my hiking, work, office, and workout shoes to being all vivobarefoot.

I’ve been wearing the Forest Tracker ESC for a couple weeks now and they have been great with one big exception. Who decided it was a good idea to sew the sole to the boot right through the middle of the heel cup??? Is anyone else getting blisters here?
FC81804D-9445-4380-8011-D07C4C578BF3.jpeg

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
^^^ just looked at my Magna’s and they are the same. Nope no blisters. Never ever noticed. Gobi’s are the same but the stitching is lower so no issues there either. Your feet just need some tightening toughening up ;)

Edit: autocorrect got me. Toughening up not tightening.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
^^^ just looked at my Magna’s and they are the same. Nope no blisters. Never ever noticed. Gobi’s are the same but the stitching is lower so no issues there either. Your feet just need some tightening up ;)
I think loosening could help. As mentioned by Form a few times, he ties his very loosely. I didn’t understand it at first, but I think it goes with not striking your heel as hard or the same way you do with a “normal” boot. When I changed my hair I realized there is less (or no) need to tighten the laces to prevent blisters on the heel. YMMV

Braaap

WKR
I’ve had no issues with blisters and I hunted the entire chukar season in NV with them. Like others have said I don’t tighten the laces very much.