Vehicles, you can fix?

Sounds like vertigo. I first got vertigo rolling off my cot in a tent. Everything was spinning. Came home and did exercises to get fluid in my head to dissolve crystals. Happened again changing oil in my truck. I rolled over quickly and got it again? So, yeah I get it from rolling over in a cramped setting?
@AZ8 I had the same vertigo issue once and it was awful. My doctor suspected a loose stone in my inner ear rolling around and I think it was jiggled loose while shooting magnum rifles. He performed the Epley maneuver on me and it fixed it (I have had to repeat the maneuver a few times at home since). Here is the procedure:

You can do this at home for free in about 5 minutes. You have nothing to lose by trying it. It sure fixed me up.

@AZ8 I had the same vertigo issue once and it was awful. My doctor suspected a loose stone in my inner ear rolling around and I think it was jiggled loose while shooting magnum rifles. He performed the Epley maneuver on me and it fixed it (I have had to repeat the maneuver a few times at home since). Here is the procedure:

You can do this at home for free in about 5 minutes. You have nothing to lose by trying it. It sure fixed me up.
Yep, I’ve gotten it twice. I think I should do those maneuvers regularly for maintenance and vertigo avoidance!! Dr Jo is the BEST PT!!

This depends on the person’s willingness to tackle things themselves. My daily is a L5P Silverado that I do all of the maintenance on, including tune/delete by myself. I’ve owned many other vehicles over the years where I have performed the maintenance myself (Audi, Ford, GM). A good scan tool, mechanic’s tools, a lift, and the internet will allow you to do 90% of anything you’d ever need to do.
Exactly.

And the lift is pretty optional. I still want one though!

Fuel injected Toyota trucks/SUVs from 1990-ish to 2002.

Dang near free junkyard donor parts all over and hours of YouTube how-tos.

I've worked on my 98 quite a bit, and even when something is over my pay grade it's ridiculously cheap at the shop. Last job I paid a shop for was an oil cooler gasket replacement. $100 lol

Any diesel 07 or older. I prefer the Cummins but the older 7.3s are easy to work on as well and relatable. Older Toyotas are also a family favorite.

Any chevy/gmc with a small block 350. Over 100,000,000 vehicles with sbc since 1954. Probably the cheapest and easiest engine to work on.

Only problem is that 4x4 square bodies in decent shape are stupid expensive. The mid-late 90s can still be had for somewhat reasonable money.

I owned a 2000 Silverado for almost 20 years and wouldn't buy another Chevy from 2000 to say 2018. Nearly every example I know of and see on the street has rusted out quarters, rockers, and cab corners. The frame on mine rusted out so bad the local welder couldn't find enough decent steel to brace it. Likely from a combination of IA winters and living on gravel, but if it's going to be a hunting vehicle, it needs to have a good chassis at a minimum. It was a shame, because the drivetrain and 4wd were still rock solid.

Only problem is that 4x4 square bodies in decent shape are stupid expensive. The mid-late 90s can still be had for somewhat reasonable money.

I owned a 2000 Silverado for almost 20 years and wouldn't buy another Chevy from 2000 to say 2018. Nearly every example I know of and see on the street has rusted out quarters, rockers, and cab corners. The frame on mine rusted out so bad the local welder couldn't find enough decent steel to brace it. Likely from a combination of IA winters and living on gravel, but if it's going to be a hunting vehicle, it needs to have a good chassis at a minimum. It was a shame, because the drivetrain and 4wd were still rock solid.
You can get a solid frame in the south for cheap! Epoxy-primer it and it should last a long time.

You can get a solid frame in the south for cheap! Epoxy-primer it and it should last a long time.
Roger that and I would highly recommend that for anybody that has a Chevy/GMC in the last 15 years.

The first thing that rotted out on mine was the crossmember in front of the rear axle that goes under the gas tank. If a guy had fender well covers, this likely wouldn't have been an issue. But my truck and most dont. That crossmember is a "through frame" design, and once the weld around it rusted it out, it started banging around and creating more space. This crossmember helps support the gas tank and also has the front shock mounts, so it's a pretty catastrophic problem unless a guy has experience with fab and welding. I know you can get new cross members and rear clips for these, but unless you can do the work yourself, its a pretty big investment.

I'm a fan of the 90s K1500 frame pickups. Easy to work on and they're still fairly cheap compared to other pickup options

1986 Suzuki Samurai...
Omg.....I almost bought one of these in '86. Ended up with a Trooper II.

I wish I could remember how much the Samurai was and why I went with the Trooper II.

Pretty sure it was in the $7k range, but not anywhere close to sure on that.

And size does matter so pretty sure it was due to the smallness of the former and the largeness of the latter.

Eddie

Back