Vehicle back up plan

this year I decided I want to start getting set up to hunt other states and I’m set up for the most part other than one thing. I have horrible luck with vehicles they always pick the most inconvenient time to break down on me. Just wondering what everybody’s back up plan is Incase your a long distance from home and your vehicle let’s you down?

I have over 700k on my go to rigs. I know them inside and out. I've lost a trans cooler line, injector and alternator on the road in the last couple hundred k miles.

PM your rigs and don't forget you have to get home.....then go have fun.

It beats a new truck payment!

If you drive older stuff you need to have some mechanical ability and a checkbook, or a good friend that’s a competent mechanic and a checkbook. Do your homework on your rigs and be picky. I’ve taken 20 year old gm trucks on 7 4-5k mile trips in the last 4 years out west with no issues. Check and service fluids, keep decent rubber on them and be aware of the weak links that can end your trip. The last fuel pump I did was preventative because the truck was getting close to 200k on the original. I figure about a grand a year in repairs and preventative maintenance. I also keep a car around instead of racking miles up on my trucks.

agreed. I keep autoengiuity, cps, belt and a new filter in my Ford on long trips, my 12 valve needs spare fuel line, belt, filter and a fpr.....alternators and starters TYPICALLY give a bit of warning.

My 80 series cruiser is simply bulletproof and literally comes stock with backup plans built in.

Preventative maintenance is key. A thorough inspection 2 weeks before the trip so there is time to get parts. Bring duct tape and other assorted “get you by” fixes. I prefer older trucks that can actually be fixed roadside. These new trucks require a laptop and special ordered electronics. A cell phone charger so you can call a tow truck when all else fails.

Anything can happen to any vehicle at any time, new/used doesn't matter. Do all the PM you can well before you leave and have enough money to rent a replacement if it breaks down. Carry tools and know how to use them.

Credit card and my tools.

Like when I thought the headgasket let go on my 4runner, and I lost the drain plug out of the oil pan, so I hitchhiked home, got my ford and a tow dolly, went into the bush and retrieved the runner then lost the waterpump on the ford on the way home. That was a time.
Turned out it was a pinhole in the rear heater line letting all the water out, but it rained so hard that weekend you couldn't tell.
Screenshot_20200425-131701_Instagram.jpg

The ford needs a big ass wrench to split the fan off the waterpump. I didn't have one, but I clamped a tie rod end puller down on the nut, then used a hi lift jack handle to turn it.
The observant will notice that my box of carpentry tools is also open, I was trying to come up with whatever I could to get that damn thing off! Didn't have a big enough pipe wrench.

I have done numerous trips with renting trucks instead of putting the miles on my own. Depending on where your going with them, and what your bringing along this can be a option.

Take care of all the stuff that needs to be taken care of before hand - don't do the "ehh, that belt isn't squealing that bad yet, it should be good" thing.

I always bring a set of sockets and wrenches (like those 20-30 piece deals with their own little case) and along with a few scewdrivers and a pliers. It all fits under the back set and you're good to replace quite a bit. Anything I can't do with those, I probably wouldn't want to be doing in a freezing parking lot anyway and I'd just take it to a local shop.

When I had a real beater, sign it over to a junkyard and take a rental car or bus home was an option if something major like the transmission went. A mechanic buddy actually came into a couple cars that people "abandoned" at his shop when major repairs weren't worth it.

Drove my ‘89 Toyota pickup to Wyoming and back (from California coast). Broke the timing chain the first time I started it after getting back home. Not exactly field repairable.

Know your rig and stay on top of maintenance. Buy AAA and be sure to upgrade your subscription if you’re going to be pulling a trailer or if you have a cab over camper. I think my AAA will haul my truck, cab over camper, and a trailer 500 mi.

I drive a Toyota in the first place... lol but I’ve always packed a few of the most common space parts I would need and a solid tool kit to replace most of the truck. 2 years ago my 220,000 mile Tacoma decided to shoot a spark plug out the side of the head and destroy a coil pack somewhere In the middle of Utah. If I didn’t have tools and a spare spark plug and a good imagination it would have costed me a ton
578cd36daa2b3c98116852060ff4391f.jpg
cea1ea6c861fa086c945f31ce6be447c.jpg
9d558f597207284ee8b9651bbb9188ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drove my ‘89 Toyota pickup to Wyoming and back (from California coast). Broke the timing chain the first time I started it after getting back home. Not exactly field repairable.

All ya need for a timing chain is a 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19mm sockets, a 6mm Allen key, a Phillip's and a flat head, some RTV, and 8 hours!

Unless it was a v6, then you also need tin snips.

Back