Vehicle back up plan

Wrench

WKR
All ya need for a timing chain is a 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19mm sockets, a 6mm Allen key, a Phillip's and a flat head, some RTV, and 8 hours!

Unless it was a v6, then you also need tin snips.
And a pan to catch the coolant.

Rich M

WKR
this year I decided I want to start getting set up to hunt other states and I’m set up for the most part other than one thing. I have horrible luck with vehicles they always pick the most inconvenient time to break down on me. Just wondering what everybody’s back up plan is Incase your a long distance from home and your vehicle let’s you down?
I'm 30 hours+ each way from western hunting. We rent a truck and use that.

2019 I had a 2020 Tacoma 4x4 with 300 miles on it. Had about 5000 on it when we got back. 500 for truck, 500 for gas...

rayporter

WKR
maintenance is most important.

but what you going to do about them thar sealed front wheel bearings?

4 horses on and it starts to squall as i get to pagosa. and the only one around is in Albuquerque and it will take 4 days to get it to the shop. i left the truck and my bud took our horses up and we went hunting.

Wrench

WKR
maintenance is most important.

but what you going to do about them thar sealed front wheel bearings?

4 horses on and it starts to squall as i get to pagosa. and the only one around is in Albuquerque and it will take 4 days to get it to the shop. i left the truck and my bud took our horses up and we went hunting.
On a Ford, pull the abs sensor and use a large syringe to push grease into the bearings.

Dodge is a bit more difficult, but Google adding grease zirk to dodge hub and it'll show where to drill and the rest is history.

Laramie

WKR
Peace of mind is worth a lot to me. I don't want to think about potential vehicle problems during hunting season. I currently drive a newer truck that I don't stress but before I could afford one, I used to rent yearly. I split the cost with a hunting buddy and we would have a brand new full size for every hunt. Enterprise used to be my go to- roughly $400 for a week for a full size truck. No clue what rates are now but I'm guessing you can find some deals.

fmyth

WKR
I'm 30 hours+ each way from western hunting. We rent a truck and use that.

2019 I had a 2020 Tacoma 4x4 with 300 miles on it. Had about 5000 on it when we got back. 500 for truck, 500 for gas...
Who did you rent it from?

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
All ya need for a timing chain is a 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19mm sockets, a 6mm Allen key, a Phillip's and a flat head, some RTV, and 8 hours!

Unless it was a v6, then you also need tin snips.
And a few valves, and a new head and water pump, and a way to drop the pin to get 10k pieces of old chain out.

rayporter

WKR
any tricks for a carrier bearing on a dodge?

the only other trouble i have had with my own vehicles was a carrier bearing that went to flopping 3 miles from home and i limped in.

my pard had a few nasty ones over 35 years of driving from ohio.
once he had a new chevy that was maybe 2 months old and he pulled into Arkansas the dash was smoking.
we had planned to drive out with his new rig but he took it to a dealer and we hooked the horse trailer to my old dodge and we kept rolling.

Rich M

WKR
Who did you rent it from?

Budget/Avis

Shop it and make the reservations when you find them being offered at a good rate. If you find better, then book and cancel. I didn't switch once I booked but the prices will fluctuate week to week and can be considerable. It went up and down quite a bit while I was looking.

Would have saved some stress if I had just booked when I started looking.

SWOHTR

WKR
Just bring a spare vehicle with you!!!

Kidding aside, we used OnStar last year on a cross country trip. Thought it was a total crock up until then but they helped. Regular maintenance also helps, as discussed above.

fmyth

WKR
Budget/Avis

Shop it and make the reservations when you find them being offered at a good rate. If you find better, then book and cancel. I didn't switch once I booked but the prices will fluctuate week to week and can be considerable. It went up and down quite a bit while I was looking.

Would have saved some stress if I had just booked when I started looking.
Thanks.

Anything can happen to any vehicle at any time, new/used doesn't matter. Do all the PM you can well before you leave and have enough money to rent a replacement if it breaks down. Carry tools and know how to use them.
Lots of prayers things go well and that mountain bike doesn't get a flat if the truck breaks down haha

SRK

FNG
scheduled and preventive maintenance and a little bit of good luck along the way! I am a service tech by trade and hate having to work on my own vehicles but it is the best way to keep them on the road longer

Mosby

WKR
Join AAA. It has saved my butt more than a few times when traveling and my vehicle broke down. Well worth the expense IMO. It also provides discounts on hotels and I get my wife's car serviced at AAA approved shops that provide a discount to members.