Vacuum sealing burger bags

Spoony

FNG
I was successful on my once and a lifetime bison hunt and now need to process an extraordinary amount of meat. I have typically vacuum sealed my grind, with great results, but am looking to speed up the process using burger bags. I want to keep the grind a maximum of 2 years without any hint of freezer burn. I have never used burger bags and am skeptical.

Has anyone vacuum sealed burger bags? Or will the grind last 2 years in a burger bag using hog rings or tape seal rather than a heat seal?

Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why mess with things like that? use regular chamber sealer bags. If you don't have a chamber sealer....good luck bro.

I used Burger bags sometimes but I prefer flat 8x10 chamber vac bags. When frozen they stack really well and they're about perfect for a pound of ground.

knehrke

FNG
I usually vacuum seal my burger, but I had a processor put some bacon burger into his own bags rather than giving it to me in bulk, so I actually sealed the tubes themselves using a large bag. Overkill? Probably. Bacon burger doesn't last too long anyway...

fishslap

WKR
I vac seal my burger with pork fat mixed in in either 20 or 40 pound batches (1# bags using 8” roll of material to make the bags). I flatten the bags after sealing. I only grind a batch during butchering if I’m almost out of burger. Otherwise, I vac seal the well trimmed and cubed chunks in 5-8# bags for future grind, or whatever size you want. I get the larger vac bag rolls for this. Then, I periodically partially thaw these out and grind with pork fat to make my next batch.

I started doing this because i got tired of grinding after I already hunted, field dressed, packed out, and butchered a whole elk, etc. alone. I also didn’t always have the high quality pork fat on hand at the time (game changer on my burger). I use a regular LEM vac sealer. Burgers are great and spreads the labor out. Never had an issue.

Last edited:
Your burger will last a long time in the plastic hb bags. I add bacon to my wild game burger and finished some up recently from 2017. Don’t use the hog ring method. Use the tape machine and squeeze the air out, twist the bag tight, tape it. I’ve done hb this way for myself and commercially for 3 decades.

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpeg
    IMG_0621.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0622.jpeg
    IMG_0622.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0618.jpeg
    IMG_0618.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 0