Vacuum sealing burger bags

Spoony

FNG
I was successful on my once and a lifetime bison hunt and now need to process an extraordinary amount of meat. I have typically vacuum sealed my grind, with great results, but am looking to speed up the process using burger bags. I want to keep the grind a maximum of 2 years without any hint of freezer burn. I have never used burger bags and am skeptical.

Has anyone vacuum sealed burger bags? Or will the grind last 2 years in a burger bag using hog rings or tape seal rather than a heat seal?

Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why mess with things like that? use regular chamber sealer bags. If you don't have a chamber sealer....good luck bro.

I used Burger bags sometimes but I prefer flat 8x10 chamber vac bags. When frozen they stack really well and they're about perfect for a pound of ground.

knehrke

FNG
I usually vacuum seal my burger, but I had a processor put some bacon burger into his own bags rather than giving it to me in bulk, so I actually sealed the tubes themselves using a large bag. Overkill? Probably. Bacon burger doesn't last too long anyway...

fishslap

WKR
I vac seal my burger with pork fat mixed in in either 20 or 40 pound batches (1# bags using 8” roll of material to make the bags). I flatten the bags after sealing. I only grind a batch during butchering if I’m almost out of burger. Otherwise, I vac seal the well trimmed and cubed chunks in 5-8# bags for future grind, or whatever size you want. I get the larger vac bag rolls for this. Then, I periodically partially thaw these out and grind with pork fat to make my next batch.

I started doing this because i got tired of grinding after I already hunted, field dressed, packed out, and butchered a whole elk, etc. alone. I also didn’t always have the high quality pork fat on hand at the time (game changer on my burger). I use a regular LEM vac sealer. Burgers are great and spreads the labor out. Never had an issue.

Last edited: