US Virgin Islands

Carr5vols

WKR
Taking the family to st john for a week any recommendations on a fishing guide or anything worth seeing other than the beaches.

Taking the family to st john for a week any recommendations on a fishing guide or anything worth seeing other than the beaches.

Snorkel each beach. They all offer something different to see and are amazing. Go to waterlemon cay. It’s a long but easy hike and you pass by some ancient ruins. The snorkeling around the island at waterlemon cay is the best st John has to offer in my opinion. If you take a taxi, be sure to tell them when to come back. The taxis don’t run out there often. Most likely you’ll have the place to yourself or only a couple other groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
ddavis is not kidding when he says to make sure you have a plan to get back, and even that is questionable at best. We have been there multiple times and everytime we have taxi problems. All of the hikes are worth your time if that is your thing. You will often have the beaches mostly to yourself, but in the heat of the day it can be BRUTAL on the trails. Very humid and no wind.

We did the Limetree beach hike last month and our taxi abandoned us and we did not see another one while waiting. We ended up having to hitchhike back into town. Plus side is all of the locals were very friendly in doing so.

dtrkyman

WKR
Been a long time since I have been there, waterlemon cay is amazing. I caught some bonefish on some flats but can't remember where exactly?

We rented a condo for our honeymoon.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have done DIY fly fishing on a couple of trips to St. John and always found enough fish to make it worth the trouble to pack a rod. We rented a jeep rather than rely on taxis and that was fun in itself.

Made the mistake of going to vieques instead of St John before a friend got married in PR 5 years ago. Most of the beaches in Vieques was covered in stinky seeweed the whole time. Could have gotten an 89$ rate at the Westin st john too at the time with half off food bc I was working for the Sheraton at the time. Still kicking myself, St John looks epic, enjoy.

Last edited:

WBT

FNG
I agree with Clovis. Rent a Jeep and spend your time on the east side of the island. No hotels and no cruise ship passengers coming from St. Thomas. A lot fewer people, better snorkeling and generally better fishing. The one caveat is that the tarpon and bonefish tend to be on the north side. Permit are on the east and south in my experience.

Scottyboy

WKR
You need to go to jost can dyke in the BVI and hit up the soggy dollar bar! Painkiller will change your life

KJH

WKR
I'm there now. Been to all the USVI islands more times than I can count... Heading home in the morning. Snorkeling off most of the beaches on St. John was great but we boated to all our snorkeling spots and beaches this time. Only fished offshore. I would rent a vehicle for sure. Gives you a lot of flexibility.

Strangely, it was much busier than I thought it would be. We would get to a beaches that usually has only a couple of people and it had lots of people. Maybe it was because of the holiday weekend coming up.