Where to find horses for sale in Montana

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm moving from upstate NY to Kalispell MT.

Initial thought was to rent a small moving van. I would drive that and my son would drive the truck and trailer with the horse. Two problems
1. It's actually cheaper to have the horse shipped than run two vehicles. Fuel and rental of U-Haul
2. Son is a senior at University of Wyoming and only has four days to fly in, help with the drive, and fly back down to school and traveling with the horse will slow down the 35 hour drive.

Second thought is to use the Horse trailer as a moving van and just drive the distance in three days with my son. It'll get him back to school in time. Which is what we are doing.

I thought I would have the horse shipped , let the professional transporters take care of the welfare of the horse going cross country. Cost is $1.20/loaded mile so $3000

Now I'm thinking of saving the shipping money and selling the horse locally. Combine the two and buy something new in MT.

Reason is, she's 18 years old. Extremely sound, awesome safe trail horse. But she is 18. I've had her for 15 years. In a couple years I may be paying to maintain a pasture ornament and buying a younger horse anyway. I also think I will be using her a lot more in MT than in NY, and I believe the elevation gain and loss in MT will be greater than what we do here. Sell her to someone local that is just looking for a safe trail horse and start new in MT.

So I started looking around on the internet for 5-7 year old horses in NW MT. I can't seem to find anything.
I checked Craigslist, FB Marketplace(I don't have FB so not sure if I am doing it right, and a couple of horse for sale websites.

So here, after the long background is my question.

Where can I find horses for sale in MT? Am I not looking in the right places or is there a shortage of 4-8 year old trail candidates. Not looking for a cow horse, reiner, show horse. Just a grade horse that will fit my needs.

OR, should I just have her shipped out as COVID has made the availability of horses for sale just like the housing market and there really isn't anything out there?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say depends how long you are willing to wait to replace your horse. Or how much your willing to spend. I bought a horse recently and watched local craigslist and other local ads for 6mo. I got a grade 5yr old for 2k that has worked out great. I had to drive 4hrs to pick her up though too. If you're willing to spend 5 thousand you could find one much easier. They aren't cheap anymore.

Billings livestock sale is a good place to watch auctions and have a regular group of ranch & trail horses or mules come through pretty often.

I found the same thing 4 years ago ago finally just had my mares bred. I met a gent this fall who had a couple horses that he said he got out of great falls for a resonable price.

I hear that they have a pretty lively horse auction in Billings. I'm just not excited about auctions and what you may buy.

I'm not a fan of facebook but there was a lady in Anaconda that had a Missouri Foxtrotter for sale for $4500. At 15 years old I felt that was a bit steep.

There is a horse sale paper out there that I have seen a copy. Most of what I saw in it were quarter horses with roping/ cutting / reining skills that were going for ungodly prices. One on the first page went for $54,000. On the internet within Mt and surrounding states I not found grade horses or registered gaited horses for sale let alone for a reasonable price. The last one I bought was a registered morgan mare, six years old for $3500.

You have a tough choice that I can't help you with. If you move the horse make sure you have pasture and hay available. I think Kalispel is a target area for California migrants.

OP
R

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the information. I haven't bought a horse in fifteen years and had no idea finding one would be such an issue. Before I sell her, I'll do some more looking around. I am willing to travel to purchase one.
I have heard about the influx of Californians. Going to make it tough for me to buy a house if ever there. I am flying out tomorrow to do a little scouting and set up temporary housing. I guess I'll start looking for a place to board as well. I did find an few places that were affordable that I am going to check out.

Thanks everyone!!

Billings livestock sale is a good place to watch auctions and have a regular group of ranch & trail horses or mules come through pretty often.

They sell a lot of horses there, some good some not. You can pay as much as you want, and still not get what you want. Horse market is still pretty crazy around here. Horse traders are worse than used car salesmen.

I just looked at an old copy of the Billings Livestock Commission's paper. Many listings - mostly ropers - mostly quarter horses. Many being offered from the source with a tele. number. I prefer to ride them and see if I can guess why they are selling them.

In my early years, the cowboys liked them hot and when they got calm and somewhere around 10-12 they would sell them and buy a race car and start over. I haven't seen that for a number of years.

Now it's up to you to guess what the problem is and why they put the training into them and what didn't work. The question is whether you can figure out the problem and initiate a cure before you are injured. What was a challenge in my 20s is a concern as my body ventures into the brittle years. I currently own a mistake I haven't found a cure for. She is probably one of the prettiest mares I have seen that I can't trust. I just haven't worked my way up to putting a bullet in her as opposed to putting hay into her.

Another problem I have seen is a preponderance of elk-colored horses for sale. For my own survival in the land of eager hunters, I prefer bays, grays and blacks. In a market of paints, buckskins and palaminos I can't quite accept the alternative of looking at my dead horse (recently shot) and wondering how to get my tack back to the truck.

Sorry about the wandering but just things in an old pony soldiers mind.

wyosteve

WKR
I think you'd kick yourself if you don't take her with you. You already know what you have and can always look for another at your leisure. Personally, I'd look for a private owner where you could spend some time with a potential horse rather than an auction. Just my .02.

Wrongside

WKR
I think you'd kick yourself if you don't take her with you. You already know what you have and can always look for another at your leisure. Personally, I'd look for a private owner where you could spend some time with a potential horse rather than an auction. Just my .02.
While it seems on the expensive side to transport her, I agree with Steve. I'd hate to sell our guys, just to start over elsewhere. Glitches and all, at least we know them.

The horse market is very competitive and inflated out here I’d probably spend the money and have your horse transported out here so you can look for a replacement at your leisure. Then you won’t feel so pressured to find a replacement

While BLS might be an option to consider, the consigned horses all provide contact information so you can schedule a private showing of a horse pre sale. I would definitely avoid the loose sale

One way to look at it is if your into moving your horse from NY to MT for 3 grand at least you know what you got over buying an unfamiliar horse for the same price that might not work out

I am going to pm you some more information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
Interesting to read regional variations in horse prices. Most CL cities in Tx have private owners horses for sale from 500-3000. Am a group member of fb Tx mules and Ranch mules and see quality animals for sale all the time. Auctions in Tx list lots of cheap animals but caveat emptor. Check out this article on the kill pen scam here in Tx

jmez

WKR
What is your price range? Realistic.

You aren't going to find any bargains but should be able to get what you are looking for reasonably priced.

Billings as has been said. You better be experienced in buying. Even then you will get taken. I've seen two from there in the last month that are young and crippled. Both bought by experienced horse people.

Far better off buying private. A little harder to do being new to an area. Go in and talk to the local vet. Ask them if there is anyone to avoid, anyone they recommend. They will usually tell you both. See if there is a Backcountry horseman group near by. Generally really good people that would love to help.

Buying private you can take the horse and have it examined by a veterinarian prior to purchase. Not fool proof but pretty close if you have a good vet.

The horse industry is absolutely filled with dishonest trash. I see it weekly, year round. The dishonest trash are very good at what they do, they are also ruthless and don't care.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
You couldn’t pay me enough to buy a horse in western Montana. There is a reason they are up for sale. Prices are highly inflated. Last week we seen a young girl get hurt badly by a recently purchased “broke horse” in Kalispell. Do you have land available or going to board them? There is rarely a good buy, but they do randomly happen. Have you thought about starting out with a foal/colt?

I would transport your horse. I’ve hauled across country in the spring before and never had any problems. You can get boarding setup at potential stopping points. Most fairgrounds have overnight boarding and you can camp onsite with your horses.

I live in Kalispell and can answer any questions you may have.

OP
R

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again everyone. I agree about shying away from auctions and buying private sale. I don't mind driving a couple of hours to find one. It doesn't have to be a local horse. And if I sell my horse, I would have a purchase range up to around 6k. I am going to start looking for pasture board in the area. I won't be buying a house or land until I get settled and decide where I want to live in regards to a commute to work.
But you definitely have me rethinking about having my old reliable shipped out here. Feel free to chime in with anymore tips or advice. I'm not just moving next door and appreciate the insight on the area I am moving to.

Again, thanks everyone, you have all been a great help.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Reliable boarding can be hard to find up here, or rather expensive. Land prices are up about 200% as compared to 5 years ago.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Stop driving a couple hrs east of Kalispell. Browning real estate should be more reasonable and cheaper horses around there too.

OP
R

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the insight. That's what makes this forum so great.

I appreciate everyone that reached out with PM's as well.

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
BLS has a sale every spring featuring mountain and pack stock. Looks like it is slated for March 25 this year. Bring lots of money for the BLS sales. Prices are ridiculous for horse in MT right now.

There are no bad, evil horses.....only bad owners and bad trainers. They only know what they have been exposed to and taught (or not). Just like children. I paid 6K plus $500 to ship a trained 7 YO Walker from the midwest to Pa. and after about 18 months he is one fine horse. He has been getting an hour or two of pro training per week here for the past 12 months. That will continue. I'm wondering how anyone can just sell their horse just like that after owning it for 15 of its 18 years. An 18 YO horse has 8-10 years of useable life left if it was maintained well, like it should be. Even then, you owe that horse a decent life in the pasture if he served you well.