**UPDATED 04/21 A WIN!! ** California bear hunters need your help once again!

Thanks all!

Update: So the F&G commission heard the petition from HSUS today. Highlights from the anti hunting side;

Fires have destroyed bear habitat, killed an unk number of bears, killed off unk number of females and cubs
Urban sprawl has taken hundreds of thousands of acres from bears
Majority of California residents oppose all hunting (supposedly approx 70%)
Bears are only killed for trophys
Hundreds of bears are poached and not part of the F&G kill/take numbers
Drought and man made climate change is negatively affecting bear populations
Current management plan is too old and needs updating
Bear/human encounters have increased which indicates loss of bear habitat which somehow should equate to a hunting ban/moratoriums

The big positive was most opposed the petition

Thanks to everyone that commented to the commission to deny the HSUS petition. Also thanks to everyone that signed the email petition in support of bear hunting in California. I can tell you this isn't over, here and elsewhere. So stay vigilant, get involved, and make your voice heard!
Thanks for the update Rob!

One thing I do agree with from HSUS. CA bear management plan is old and needs updating to include a spring season or 2 bear tags!!

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks all!

Update: So the F&G commission heard the petition from HSUS today. Highlights from the anti hunting side;

Fires have destroyed bear habitat, killed an unk number of bears, killed off unk number of females and cubs
Bear/human encounters have increased which indicates loss of bear habitat which somehow should equate to a hunting ban/moratoriums

Thanks to everyone that commented to the commission to deny the HSUS petition. Also thanks to everyone that signed the email petition in support of bear hunting in California. I can tell you this isn't over, here and elsewhere. So stay vigilant, get involved, and make your voice heard!
Thank you for providing this update. When will we know what the commission's decision is?

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks all!

californian democrats/liberals are a different breed here. half brain dead half metally challenged. cali democrats are fuked

californian democrats/liberals are a different breed here. half brain dead half metally challenged. cali democrats are fuked
I wouldn't want to live in a world with out liberals. They bring a lot I am grateful for: the arts, literature, and as a whole an interesting species to observe. They are, however, so conceited, smug, and hypocritical they are mostly unbearable. They just do not understand how much ethical hunters contribute to our wildlife.

ehayes

FNG
Another shout out for the Hunting Ain't Easy podcast. And this is being talked about later in April. Please continue to voice your support on HOWL.

I'm really impressed with how well spoken and respectful people have been in the meeting so far. makes me proud to be part of the hunting community.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
I'm really impressed with how well spoken and respectful people have been in the meeting so far. makes me proud to be part of the hunting community.
Agreed 100%. The actual scientist gave compelling evidence that the bear population is extremely healthy and growing. 35-50K bears is a huge number compared to the supposed science done by hsus at 15k +/- 6k. The hsus all but said they want a ban on all hunting. She stopped short of saying it but, it was implied IMO. It looks good for hunters so far. But, based on WA state, anything can happen.

Moserkr

WKR
Good statements from the vice pres and president at the end. Murray is saying some very pro-hunting things. Glad to hear it. Rarely do I hear things well said and true from the Government. Looks like HSUS was defeated!! There were a few items they were going to continue to address, not sure what they entailed exactly. I only caught the end due to work.

68Plexi

WKR
I watched a few hours of the meeting today via zoom. It was refreshing to see both the CA F&W commission and the department of F&W staff committed to defending the bear season with such good data.

They were not swayed with the emotional appeal from HSUS. As someone else already mentioned, it was hilarious to hear the commission ask the HSUS representative if there was any scenario they would advocate for hunting (say a 50k+ population) and she said, nope. Says it all right there.

Thanks Howl for being proactive about organizing and reminding everyone this isn’t going to stop. We best start preparing for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done everyone! I wish I would have commented during the open period, but love to see fellow hunters mobilizing and effecting change even in a wacko state like CA.